Page 1 of 2
I saw this on CTV this morning and thought it was pretty shocking

Apple on Tuesday said every song in its iTunes library will be available without anti-piracy software by April.

The announcement came at a Macworld Expo keynote presentation at which Apple marketing vice president Phil Schiller unveiled a new top-end MacBook Pro laptop computer model and snazzy upgrades to Macintosh computer software.

"We worked with all major music companies and, starting today, iTunes will offer eight million songs DRM free and by the end of this quarter all 10 million will be DRM free," Schiller said.

"All songs will be DRM free in iTunes at iTunes Plus."

Recording studios have long insisted on digital rights management (DRM) software that prevents music from being copied.

In what may have been a concession that led to the studios backing off DRM demands, iTunes in April will break from its six-year tradition of selling songs at 99 cents each.

Songs will sell for 69 cents, 99 cents or 1.29 dollars with studios deciding pricing, according to Schiller. Music studios have long lobbied Apple to charge more for songs at iTunes.

read more... http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2009/jan/08/yehey/techtimes/20090108tech1.html

I heard they want to raise the most popular selling songs to 1.29$ a song and the less popular for 69 cents. Not sure if that's exactly how it's going to work but I think it's rediculous. Although the songs not having any anti-piracy software attached (not that i buy music anyways off iTunes) it's still crazy they can decide to charge more for one song than another, and 1.29$ a song is just outrageous.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Jan 7, 2009,
Who buys songs anymore?
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Kinda lame, but if i was a recording artist, i wouldnt care too much about my music being pirated.

Im also glad, because most of the things i listen to now are pretty obscure, so hopefully that means cheaper prices for me. I'd probably buy more albums off of iTunes if that were the case
Quote by GnR_ROK
Who buys songs anymore?

lots of people, trust me. i'm sure this thread will fill with people debating how immoral it is to pirate music.

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
Quote by AthenasGhost
it's still crazy they can decide to charge more for one song than another, and 1.29$ a song is just outrageous.

Why not? It's a business and they get to chose what price they sell their products at. If you have a problem with that as a consumer you have the right to not buy from them. I'm not seeing the problem.

Edit: From what I understand their price range reflects the amount of DRM on the song - the higher the price the less DRM. Perhaps you thought they were charging more for certain songs?

Edit2: Maybe I was wrong, I was basing that on what I had read yesterday. Still, who cares? Their product, their price.
Last edited by MrP at Jan 7, 2009,
If it's not worth getting the whole CD I won't buy it
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Most artist's get jack from CD sales, and 1.29 for a song, or 10-15+ for a single, average 10-13 song long cd is ridiculous.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Why is it ridiculous? If you go to any HMV or Zavvi etc, the newest chart CDs will be the most expensive, and bargain bin compilations from the 90s will be the cheapest.

How much people are willing to pay for a song values the song and the artist in the industry. Hence a ticket for Led Zeppelin's reunion costing £125, while a local open mic night might be £5 to get in.
Quote by severed-metal
Sweet. Most of the music I listen to is non existant in the popular music world.

yeah. it'd make most of what i'd buy cheaper
Quote by BlackandSilver
Kill 'em All in St Anger with the help of the Master of Puppets. He can Ride the Lightning, creating a Death Magnetic.

Myspace
Quote by GnR_ROK
Who buys songs anymore?

This solves all your problems.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
EHX Metal Muff
Peavey Valvking 112
Boss ME-50
Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by GnR_ROK
Who buys songs anymore?

i only buy songs if i cant find decent torrents of if someone gives me vouchers

even then thats liek 2 songs a year
Raise and lower? At the same time?

Doctor! This man needs more blankets and he needs less blankets!
last.fm: last.fm/thrashmetal101
follow me on twitter
Quote by Sonicxlover
Emotionally, it makes me feel good. Physically, it makes me feel good.
Last edited by thrashmetal101 at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by blue_strat
Why is it ridiculous? If you go to any HMV or Zavvi etc, the newest chart CDs will be the most expensive, and bargain bin compilations from the 90s will be the cheapest.

How much people are willing to pay for a song values the song and the artist in the industry. Hence a ticket for Led Zeppelin's reunion costing £125, while a local open mic night might be £5 to get in.

Well ya, i see what your saying but I do think it's extremely greedy they think they can charge this much per song for low quality audio files when you can go buy a cd and get something that sounds decent. for the price it's just not worth the convenience of buying music from home anymore.

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
If I wanted to buy songs, I'd buy A FREAKING CD!!!
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘ PEACE! LOVE! JONAS!
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
Quote by GnR_ROK
Who buys songs anymore?

I buy single songs if I don't like the full album.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Quote by Iriathz
I download single songs if I don't like the full album.

Fixed.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but its better than making my own and being told to use the search bar.

i just noticed that the price had gone up to $1.29, like wtf

this is another reason why i prefer to buy the album from the stores, itunes blows
nah thats gay man, i like to have the albums. its so much better than mp3's...besides limewire can **** yo **** up
Quote by FranticPedantic
nah thats gay man, i like to have the albums. its so much better than mp3's...besides limewire can **** yo **** up

It's not gay, man.
Don't use limewire, use torrents, **** **** man.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
If I'm going to buy music, I want a physical copy of it and not something I easily can get for free, so I don't care.
Quote by AthenasGhost

read more... http://www.manilatimes.net/national/2009/jan/08/yehey/techtimes/20090108tech1.html

I heard they want to raise the most popular selling songs to 1.29$ a song and the less popular for 69 cents. Not sure if that's exactly how it's going to work but I think it's rediculous. Although the songs not having any anti-piracy software attached (not that i buy music anyways off iTunes) it's still crazy they can decide to charge more for one song than another, and 1.29$ a song is just outrageous.

fo you have a problem when record stores charge more money for more recently released cd's?

ITs basic economics. Itunes removed the DRM(??) protection, so this is what they get in return
Wouldn't it be easier, with todays technology, for an artist to sell his/her music over the internet, taking 10 dollars or something for an album.

They would make more on that than what they would make on an actual CD-sale.

If that would work, and it would be someone who's got quite a fanbase, that would bring in money for an artist who's trying to survive.

Uhm, and iTunes is just crap. Not only do the record-companies rip off artist, but now iTunes does by only selling singles from people, how much does an artist make on 69 cents? I would not guess much.

My rant on iTunes is over.
DeVillains!
This has just inspired me and I have now just bought 3 new You Me At Six songs off of Itunes
I defecate all over my clothes to get extra protected
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
itunes is lame.

you can easily get free songs nowadays anyway. doesn't make a difference for me.
I used to download music illegally, I don't anymore, I either buy the CD or use Itunes, at the end of the day, you're getting the music you want, and supporting the artist, especially if they're talented and relatively new, you wanna support them, well I would/ do
I defecate all over my clothes to get extra protected
Roses are Red
Violets are Bitchin
God Dammit Woman
Get Back in the Kitchen
I buy music from small bands, but steal from U2 and such
love is love // return to dust
Quote by AthenasGhost

69 lol
Make unpopular music inexpensive? I'm lovin' this.
Of course, it doesn't matter because I just pirate the hell out of everything.
Quote by seeneyj
I thought the whole idea of post-hardcore was to mix techno and hardcore.....
Quote by thrashmetal101
Raise and lower? At the same time?

Doctor! This man needs more blankets and he needs less blankets!

Walk Hard was a hilarious movie.
For real.
In other news, Pirate Bay has decided to raise its song prices from 0.00$ to 0.00$
To the guy who said "Who buys songs anymore?"

Answer: Lots of people.
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Custom Shop Silverburst (Invader/'59)
-Ovation ApplauseAE44II Elite Black Acoustic

Amps/Cabs
-Peavey 6505+ Head
Orange PPC2x12 Cab Black
-Behringer Ultracoustic ACX450 1x8 Acoustic Combo

Wayyyyy too many effects pedals...
I really don't know what to think about buying music. If I buy a CD, I'm not allowed to put it on my iPod, I have to buy a digital copy on iTunes. If I buy something from iTunes, I'm really not allowed to copy it and play it, but I can play it on my iPod. I mean wtf?

I just buy my music from iTunes and burn it to a CD usually. Sometimes I buy a CD from the store and still put it on my iPod but this stuff is getting crazy. I might just buy a record player
Quote by AthenasGhost
lots of people, trust me. i'm sure this thread will fill with people debating how immoral it is to pirate music.

done.

<insert speech about pirating here>
Quote by abdulalhazred

Quote by RPBiohazard

Careful, guys, she might be a pitophile

you misspelled pedophile

Quote by Garou1911
^
Page 1 of 2