Ok

i know that for metal one buys a closed back for the bass response. Well i have come across a firly good deal on a cabinet but it is one of those partial ones with the oval opening in the back. Would the difference be extremely noticable? and if so could i just close it up with something?
depends on the size, and yes
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
how much of a difference, enought to not be able to get a good metal tone? And the person above said i can cover it up to get some of that bass back.

here is a pic

also, where can i buy Eminence Legend V128's ?
Idk I heard somewhere that if you have a hole at all (that isn't a port) it will be the same as having an open back. I could be horribly wrong though. Also if you wanted to you could make a new back panel that doesn't have a hole in it.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
From the GB & C Resource Thread:

"You're playing a balance game here. Too few holes will not allow enough air through, and too many will make the panels "acoustically transparent," meaning you've wasted your time, and basically opened up a big acoustic hole in the back, which defeats the purpose of building a cabinet."

So pretty much that hole in your cabinet makes the cabinet acoustically transparent.... I think.

Someone more experienced than me please step in

Edit: If you wanted to just cover the hole a blanket wouldn't work. You would have to completely seal the hole.
Quote by alkalineweeman
If by "clean" you mean "get a finger right up in there and do a good bit of spelunking" then i guess "at any given opportunity" is my answer.

mah hardcore band
http://monstersvsaliens.bandcamp.com/
Last edited by Vandals572 at Jan 7, 2009,
it will make *some* difference, but I think the difference will be less traumatic than the difference caused by the type of speaker you're using. if you using an Eminence "red, white, and blues" speaker or the speaker from a Fender Bassman, you're not going to get a metal sound no matter if it's 100% completely covered 3 times over. and if you use some metal speakers, like some of the higher wattage Celestions, you'll get some form of metal out of it no matter how open it is, the low end just won't be as tight as you'd probably like.

I would like it like you have there, or completely closed. I don't like open or halfway open. but just that slot there isn't that bad, imo, just get the right kind of speakers.
someone please help!

If the legends are not the ones in vader cabinets would you guys think that it would be ok to just go with the two veteran 30s in a 2x12 even though i may have a 120 watt head? Im thinking that im going to get a carvin v3 head and it has a 50 watt mode so ill probably be using it like that.