I'm looking for a solid OD pedal as my new Crate V33 doesn't have what I really want for it's distortion. The cleans are wonderful, and for $250 I can't complain. The overdrive channel sounds great at low gain, but when it gets higher, it just sounds unnatural and fizzy.

Maybe an MI Audio Crunch Box or an OCD?

Any advice is helpful.
Player, give me some brew an I might just chill
but I'm the type that like to light another joint like Cypress Hill
Fulltone OCD
/thread
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Fulltone OCD
/thread

No, not /thread.

Personally, I think that the OCD sounds very thin, way too much treble. I recommend a Tubescreamer. Works great for any tube amp I've used for me.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Fulltone OCD
/thread

2x
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
^Where do you buy a Fulltone OCD? I checked Guitar Center and Sam Ash websites and neither had the OCD listed.
"Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth." -
Quote by Jack Off Jill
I wish I was gay.

Quote by cashewchaching
Even though he's an ugly woman, my favorite is john mayer.
If it's any consolation I'm looking for a kind of British High-Gain in a box. I know it could be the amp, but the high gain is almost unbearable.
Quote by GNRjungle87
No, not /thread.

Personally, I think that the OCD sounds very thin, way too much treble. I recommend a Tubescreamer. Works great for any tube amp I've used for me.

i concur
TS: What kind of music do you play? a tube screamer is a great pedal, but in my opinion its not the greatest with high gain situations...
Quote by yomoma21
i concur

As do I after actually trying one. Stupid boutique hype... ><

Quote by Mr.Camo
If it's any consolation I'm looking for a kind of British High-Gain in a box. I know it could be the amp, but the high gain is almost unbearable.

Can I get some definition on what artist tones you consider to be using "British high-gain"? I assume Marshall stacks, but I just want to make sure.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
If the amp natural saturation doesn't satisfy your needs, stop right there.

An overdrive is made to BOOST your already overdriven signal, not to emulate one.

I'd suggest looking in pawnshops fur really old but stull standing/working tube amps, preferably 60's bass amps, crank the treblier channel of the two, and let the thing sing, there's so much gain in these beasts.

THEN if you still need some more decibels/gain go try some OD's out with your newly acquired amp, because nothing will cure your ****ty amp saturation, these are cheaply designed tube circuits, for 250 $ you might get something great if it dates of 40 years or so, but made from the year forget it, sorry to break the news, even if they were right about the great pedals they mentionned, they really didn't took time to understand the real problem underneath the pedal search.

If you're intent on miking your amps try a blackheart little giant, i've tried one through a 4*12 cab, and the headroom was plenty enough to be mic'ed and heard everywhere, the saturation was great, since it's designed straight for it (5w's not made for anything else eh ?). And with a simple aby footswitch pedal you'll have your crate's clean and the blackheart's saturation, or whatever amp you'll have decided on. Even if you set your mind on a relatively powerful old amp you'll still need an aby box to switch between the treble and smoother channel to go between clean to distortion.

This is based on actual situations, I bought a traynor bassmaster for 200 $ CAN, with an aby for 125 $ (which I got ripped for but now acknowledge and will be prepared in the future).

Hope this helps.

OR you could try a radial tonebone pedal, these tube distortion pedals, they are basically the tube circuitry + gain circuit of a good cranked amp, without the mojo and magic. That or any similar kind-of wonder, I just can't recommend any other since even the tonebone I barely had a chance to try it out.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Last edited by Gäbe at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by necrosis1193
As do I after actually trying one. Stupid boutique hype... ><

Can I get some definition on what artist tones you consider to be using "British high-gain"? I assume Marshall stacks, but I just want to make sure.

Yeah, that growl is what I need.

I can't afford a Marshall stack, and I know it sounds lame, but even with the pedal my new rig will cost me under $400, so not bad.

^The saturation is fine on the clean channel, I'm just looking for some more gain without having to switch channels because the main "overdrive channel" is horrible.
Last edited by Mr.Camo at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by Mr.Camo
Yeah, that growl is what I need.

I can't afford a Marshall stack, and I know it sounds lame, but even with the pedal my new rig will cost me under $400, so not bad.

Hmm...well, it's not perfect, but I can get a decent sounding Zeppelin-y/EC crunch from my Blues Jr. running a TS9, I assume since their British-voiced the V33 or Blackheart will only be closer. If you want more crunch though, try a ProCo RAT with the distortion on the lower side(this may or may not be more of distortion depending on your EQ).

Quote by necrosis1193
Hmm...well, it's not perfect, but I can get a decent sounding Zeppelin-y/EC crunch from my Blues Jr. running a TS9, I assume since it's British-voiced the V33 will only be closer. If you want more crunch though, try a ProCo RAT with the distortion on the lower side(this may or may not be more of distortion depending on your EQ.

Yeah, it's pretty British-voiced already. I looked at a couple of "distortion" pedals, the MI Audio Crunch Box sounded pretty good.
I bought the exact same amp a little while ago and I also found the sound was missing something. I got a tube screamer (the TS9) and would definitely recommend it. From what you've described, I'm sure you'll be able to shape the tone you want, but they're not the cheapest of pedals so I'd make sure you try 'er our first.

Good luck
Last edited by DavidGuitar88 at Jan 7, 2009,
Just for info, clean & saturation don't go together, saturation means you crank the clean channel all the way up just to have the tubes working the overdrive, no gain knob, no circuit inbetween whatsoever, what made classic disto so great is that they simply creanked their tubes to braeking point AKA 11.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by Mr.Camo
Yeah, it's pretty British-voiced already. I looked at a couple of "distortion" pedals, the MI Audio Crunch Box sounded pretty good.

Hmm...then yeah, I'd take your guitar to GC, plug into one or both of the floor models of your amp(s), and try all three, and just get the one you prefer. Tis' what I often do, and I've yet to be disappointed.

Quote by Gäbe

An overdrive is made to BOOST your already overdriven signal, not to emulate one.

Wrong. If that was the case like so many people think then there would be no signal clipping or the need for a drive knob on the pedal. Just because some overdrives are used as boost doesn't mean that's what they were meant to do, any pedal that gets above unity gain can be used as a boost.
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Jan 7, 2009,
I have the v33 and I use the upgrade to the fulltone OCD, the fulldrive 2, it sounds pretty nice, try one out at GC
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Quote by JWD32792
I have the v33 and I use the upgrade to the fulltone OCD, the fulldrive 2, it sounds pretty nice, try one out at GC

Hey thanks, you think it could get the kind of British High-Gain growl?

Also thanks to everyone else, my knowledge on pedals isn't the best.
I was honestly disappointed with the TS9. If you are saying the OCD had hype, the TS has waay more hype around it. The boost isn't as strong as you would think, and it's effect is very subtle. It's better for maybea low gain tone, rather than boosting to get a heavy sound.

I'd check out the Fulltone OCD (yes, I like this pedal!), Fulltone Fulldrive, MXR overdrives of sorts (there are many), and some others that I can't think of off the top of my head right now
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
People might disagree, but BOSS OS-2.

Otherwise:
-Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by Gäbe
If the amp natural saturation doesn't satisfy your needs, stop right there.

No its not. If the purpose of an OD was to boost an already overdriven signal they wouldn't have their own clipping circuits nor would they color your tone as much as they do. Something like clean boosts are meant to overdrive an already driven signal. Something like the tubescreamer is meant to emulate the soft clipping of an overdriven tube power stage.
For a British OD the Zvex Box of Rock would probably be a good choice.

I haven't tried the Radial thing, but it looks promising.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Quote by al112987
No its not. If the purpose of an OD was to boost an already overdriven signal they wouldn't have their own clipping circuits nor would they color your tone as much as they do. Something like clean boosts are meant to overdrive an already driven signal. Something like the tubescreamer is meant to emulate the soft clipping of an overdriven tube power stage.

+1

If they were meant to just boost your signal and give you some control over your tone then they would basically just be EQ pedals.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Alright, so I think I've narrowed it down to the OCD Fulldrive and the MI Crunch Box.

I'll try them out when I can.
Quote by JWD32792

I'm pretty sure the Fulldrive came out way before the OCD since they had a 10th anniversary version of it released a couple of years ago. In any case, they are very different pedals.

The Fulldrive is very similar to a Tube Screamer with a lot of extra features. From my experience, it can barely get to really snarling levels of gain with the boost being used. It's a great pedal, but I personally think it's suited more to lower-gain tones.

The OCD is more of an overdrive and distortion hybrid because of the gain on tap. If you're looking for something that can really grind but still sounds fairly transparent, the OCD is a great bet. I've tried one with my V1512 a number of times. When I A/B'ed comparing with the pedal on a slightly dirty sound and my amp set to clean versus my amp set to dirty and the pedal off, I honestly could not tell the difference.

One thing I cannot stress enough to everyone I make suggestions to: if you're going to buy a pedal, an amp, a guitar, or whatever, try it with your gear beforehand if you can. All of the recommendations anybody on this forum can give don't mean a thing compared to how you like the tone a piece of equipment gives your rig. If a Boss SD-1 ends up sounding better than everything else to you, then get it! If everything other than a Zvex SHO or Super Duper sounds like crap, then get it (assuming you can afford it)! Good luck in your search TS.
Honestly, there are tons of good boosts out there. Tube screamer, maxon od808, bad monkey, OCD, xotic pre, etc etc etc

It's best to try them out through your amp because they all have their own unique flavor. It's like asking what your favorite flavor of soda is. Lot's of good ones, but I can't tell you your favorite.
I haven't played on either of these, but maybe the visual sound jekyll and hyde or the double trouble: one is a distortion and overdrive in one, the other is 2 overdrives next to each other.

one i HAVE tried that I'd say you would like for marshall tone is the MXR Wylde overdrive. Wasn't expecting it when I played it, but it is really warm, has a HUGE gain range, without being like completely metal when cranked all the way, and its a pretty good deal. Really, look into it, and I mean try it, just a great pedal.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Fulltone OCD
/thread

This sums it up. I just got back from my local guitar store and it dominated everything there, including the other Fulltone products(which I wasn't too fond of) and all the other high end boutique pedals, including Keeley TS9s and XOTiC ODs.
EDIT: I forgot to include my favorite, the Hermida Zendrive. It's the greatest OD I've ever played bar none.
Last edited by mmolteratx at Jan 7, 2009,