Page 1 of 4
Lets talk about these two amps:
How do they compare?
Has anyone played or owned either one and how do they sound?
Are the voicings on the two amps worthy of mention?

Here are the descriptions of both amps:
Vox VT 30
Features
Vox Valve Reactor circuit that uses a 12AX7 to produce real tube power amp sound.

Twenty-two realistic amp models are built-in, ranging from the latest high-gain types to unobtainable legendary boutique amps and vintage amps.

Twelve high-quality effects including independent reverb, rivaling the quality of dedicated units

Three banks (basic, effected, and song) are provided for each amp model, giving you a total of sixty-six preset programs.

Twenty-two programs of "song presets" simulate the sounds of famous guitarists.

You can save eight of your own edited programs.

Power level control allows you to adjust the output wattage of the power amp, meaning that you can obtain that distinctive power amp distortion even at low output levels.

Headphone output lets you practice at home, even at night.

Amp Models
BOUTIQUE CL, DELUXE TWEED, SUPER 4X10, AC15TB, AC30HH, EXPRESS TRAIN, AC50CP2, UK 25TH,US '90S, UK MODERN, BOUTIQUE METAL, MODDED CL, TWEED 2X12, TWEED 4X10, AC15, AC30TB, BOUTIQUE OD, AC30BM, UK '80S, CALI METAL, UK '90S, METAL BULL

Effect Models
DELAY, TAPE ECHO, CHORUS, COMP, OCTAVE, FLANGER, PHASER, ROTARY, TREMOLO, PITCH, REVERB, NR(Noise Reduction)

Number of amp types: 22

Number of effects: 12

Number of programs: 66 preset, 8 user

Input/output jacks: 1x INPUT,1 x FOOT SW jack, 1 x PHONE jack

Power amp output: maximum 30W RMS @4 ohms

Speaker: 1 x VOX original (10 inch,4 ohm )

Fender Super Champ XD
Fender Super Champ XD Guitar Combo Amp Specifications:

* Power requirements: 90W
* Power output: 15W RMS into 8 ohms
* Input impedance: >1 Mohm
* Tubes: One 12AX7 and two 6V6
* Speaker: One 10", 8 ohm Fender® Special Design
* Dimensions: 15" x 17.5" x 9" (38 cm x 45 cm x 22.9 cm)
* Weight: 24 lb (10.9 kg)

Fender Super Champ XD Guitar Combo Amp Features:

* 15W tube power amp with two 6V6 tubes
* 12AX7 preamp tube
* 10 inch Special Design Speaker
* Voicing knob with 16 different preamp voices great for any style of music
* Two channels w/channel-switching format (optional footswitch available)
* 16 effects with effects level control
* External speaker capability
* Line output

Gunna sneak this in here. How are the Fender solid state amps like the Frontman and the G-Dec...

Thanks Guys!
both should be great for you.
i would go for the super champ though, as i understand it you can use it without all the other stuff, and then its just a clean tube amp.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
super champ, i have the vibro champ XD (same effects,dont really know the difference)
Fender the way to go,it takes pedlas well, and has a kick ass Brit tone and effects
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
The Vox doesnt really get a good tube sound... The one tube in it doesnt do much for the tone, imo... I would personally go for the Fender just because it is a real tube amp, meaning that both the pre and power amps are powered using tubes... I would have said all tube but since it has a ss rectifier it doesnt fit into that category...
^Well in your opinion there are only a few all tube amps then. It really isn't about opinion, there are pretty set rules on what makes a tube amp a tube amp. The partially digital preamp in the Superchamp has MUCH more to do with the classification of what type of amp it is than the SS rectifier.
To each his own I guess... To-may-to, to-mah-to... I really dont like the fact that it has the digital effects on either, but imo, the Fender does sound better then the Vox due to the 6V6's in its power amp...
The scxd isn't all tube, even disregarding whether the rectifier matters to you. I'm not going through it again.

I like the super champ more btw, and stay away from their solid states like gdec and frontman.
Quote by music_mike
To each his own I guess... To-may-to, to-mah-to... I really dont like the fact that it has the digital effects on either, but imo, the Fender does sound better then the Vox due to the 6V6's in its power amp...
The effects in fender are all based off of Fender Amps, so it sound 99% like the real one,i did it at my music store,same guitar,twees on Vibro,fender tweed,almost the same
thanks for the comments.
I seem to lean towards the Vox because it has more voicing options
and the Super Champ XD does not have a mid-control
another thing about the Vox is that you can store presets which is handy.
I have a Boss SD-1 pedal which sounds like crap with my SS amp Kustom Dart 66 10W
it just muffles the sound and makes my amp squeal like a MF
How will it do with either of these amps. So the questions is how do the amps respond to pedals, particularly the Boss SD-1 Overdrive
Quote by SolKanar77
thanks for the comments.
I seem to lean towards the Vox because it has more voicing options
and the Super Champ XD does not have a mid-control
another thing about the Vox is that you can store presets which is handy.
I have a Boss SD-1 pedal which sounds like crap with my SS amp Kustom Dart 66 10W
snip
I said it takes pedals well,and it isnt digital,its just knobs, so it just stays there...after a while you're going to hate having all these multi effects,trust me, i would ratehr have a phaser,flanger,overdrive,NR, and a blues driver then my Zoom G1X.
you want the fender
the sc handles my bad monkey od and bbe opto stomp compressor fine, never tried a pedal with the vt.

I just write down presets I use and tape them above my amp. I agree on lack of mid control though, I'm going to get an eq to fix it.

Play the two side by side, and just judge by the sound. The super champ blew away the vox in terms of tone when I tried them out, so that's what I bought. Whatever makes you happy is the one to get
If you don't care about tone, get the vox.

If you want an amp that has great tone, albeit a few less effects and voicings, and can take pedals well down the road get the Champ.

I havn't regretted it, although I'm considering selling it to pickup a Palomino.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
i looked at some vids of both amps.
the SCXD is much warmer sounding and has more depth to the sound.
the Vox VT30 is decent sounding , but it seems a little bit on the trebly side.

hint: the sound im looking for is like a warm overdriven blues sound like Buddy Guy.
but versatility is always useful, classic rock sounds, etc.
Quote by Greenwood991
If you don't care about tone, get the vox.

If you want an amp that has great tone, albeit a few less effects and voicings, and can take pedals well down the road get the Champ.

I havn't regretted it, although I'm considering selling it to pickup a Palomino.

Hey man, if you do sell it, send me a pm, I'm looking to pick up a footswitch for mine
get it man
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
I'm also deciding between several amps.
I tried out the old AD15VT in GC and the sound was warm and boxy ( maybe I didn't get the settings right). Overall I much prefer the sound of Roland micro cube they have there.
But it seems that VT30 got really good review in Valvetronix.net
I'm not sure if review is objective though.
If the new VT series improve a lot over the old ones, I should try out before making any decisions.
Quote by jon12315
I'm also deciding between several amps.
I tried out the old AD15VT in GC and the sound was warm and boxy ( maybe I didn't get the settings right). Overall I much prefer the sound of Roland micro cube they have there.
But it seems that VT30 got really good review in Valvetronix.net
I'm not sure if review is objective though.
If the new VT series improve a lot over the old ones, I should try out before making any decisions.

Pleeeease try out the super champ.
Its it a bit less versatile but it sounds(in my opinion) loads better.

Then again, if you like to experiment more with effects you may like the VT more. I get some cool sounds out of my friend's.

www.wearewerebear.com
Super champ and valvetronix aren't even in the same league. XD is alot better.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
don't know if Super Champ XD will fit me or not though. I haven't play blues before.
Currently i'm looking for Rock and metal oriented sound.
And I don't have budget for pedals...
All I can say is you will sacrifice tone, but you have to do what you have to do. throw a vox DA 20 into the mix. Not as good as a super champ but better then the valvetronix in my opinion.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
It seems that there aren't much love for Valvetronix here

I tend to trust people's opinion here rather than my ears since I have no experience with amps before.
The Champ XD is a little off my budget and I'm quite surprise to see that DA20 outperforms the Valvetronixs
It's pretty subjective. I just didn't care for the AD series that much, but there are people here who do. I thought the 2x8's in stereo of the DA sounded alot better. It actually came down to a close race between it and the Roland cube 30 for me. The roland just went farther into metal then I wanted to go where the DA went just far enough and had a much better blues tone.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
The Valvetronix are not bad amps. You could ask again tomorrow and the answers could very well be lop-sided toward the Vox.

You need to go play these and the others Scott mentioned and make your own decision. Don't let a bunch of people on the internet make it for you.

And check your local craigslist in case you find something there you like. I see Peavey transtubes and vypyrs on there that might fit the bill better you never know.
Quote by SolKanar77
the Vox VT30 is decent sounding , but it seems a little bit on the trebly side.

I thought so at first too. It also seemed to have a synthetic sound to the crunch, but once the speaker starts to break in both of those issues go away and in it's all good, very good imo. Which to me was/is the bottom line, tube or SS makes no difference, what matters is does the tone sound good. Every tube amp ain't a winner, contrary to what many would seem to want you to believe.

Also the EQ controls on the VT are extremely sensitive (in a good way), you can't just go maxing this and scooping that you have to learn them as they operate differently based on the apm model. The more I play through (and with) this thing the better it sounds.

I haven't tried a distortion in front of mine yet as I haven't found a need to.

I've read that it take OD's well though.
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
great comments
what are your favorite models for either amp VT 30 or SCXD
im mainly talking to people that play them blues and blues rock
i heard the overdriven tweed on the SCXD sounds nice and creamy
I use it mainly at 7 or 8, as you said, the tweeds.

The 10-13s are pretty cool too for higher gain. They're called something like "blackface." I'm not so experianced with all amps so I dunno what that actually means.

www.wearewerebear.com
I've had a VOX AD30VT for a year now and still like it. When I bought it two deciding features for me (after liking the sound of course) was the power attenuator control and a headphone socket (the Fender may have this but I don't know 'cause I've never seen one).
the power attenuator is a very lucrative feature
im going to use the amp for practice in my small little room
so i cant play that loud, not that i can play for crap :P
ill be playing at low volumes, does the SCXD sound good at
around like 2 or 3 volume?
I normally keep mine around 3 volume, because i live in a dorm. I crank it a little every now and then, but it sounded better than the vox for all applications when i tried it out. Never used a headphone out, never really plan to. I'm a little drunk right now, sorry, but I liked the scxd more than the vox when I was comparing hte two
lol I was gonna say the VT30 really shines on the Vox models, I guess the apple don't fall far from the tree when it comes to modeling amps. My guess would be the "Fender sound" would definitely go to the SC so it may be a better choice for a blues player, but I've been playing with the Fender models on the VT30 and they are sweet, I just need to learn them a little more (and I'm sure a pickup change on my strat copy would be a big help too).

The power attenuator is an awesome feature, great for low-level playing. Looking at the SC manual, it doesn't appear to have anything similar, and I now notice many more features packed into the VT. First off is the ability to store (and recall with an optional footswitch) 8 user settings. The VT series now has a dedicated reverb separate from the effects bank, and the effects on the SC look to be basically preset where on the VT you can adjust the parameters on them, much like the knobs on a stompbox. Any of the SC owners could correct me if I'm wrong of course, this is just what I see in the manual.

jon12315, voxman on valvetronix.net just put up a lengthy review of the VT30, and while the name of the site might suggest a little bias he also has a post about why his main amp is an AD120VT, even though he owns bunches of big tube amps. It really boils down to the sheer versatility of the valvetronix line.
My Stuff:
Austin Strat Copy - Lefty
(New and Improved with Bill Lawrence 290/280 Pickups)
MIM Telecaster - Lefty
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
TS-9 with a few mods
Dunlop GCB-95 Wah
Quote by pak1351
I normally keep mine around 3 volume, because i live in a dorm. I crank it a little every now and then, but it sounded better than the vox for all applications when i tried it out. Never used a headphone out, never really plan to. I'm a little drunk right now, sorry, but I liked the scxd more than the vox when I was comparing hte two

Which Vox Valvetronix model did you test?
Page 1 of 4