1.well i was wondering how many chords are in a key

for example:E, A ,B, F#m, G#m, C#m

are those the only chord in the key of E or are there more

2.if im writing a solo in the key of E can i switch around scales

and notes

what i mean is can i play E Ionian and switch to A Ionian and B phygrian w/e

while playin the solo

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
1. Each scale has 7 diatonic triads, built from each degree.

2. You can do it like that, but that'd be a pretty sudden key change, and might be hard on the listener. Try it, you'll see what I mean. Unless it's handle tastefully. There are lots of good ways to modulate easily: chord substitutions, etc.
Quote by one vision
1. Each scale has 7 diatonic triads, built from each degree.

I think i know what those are like i think the A major scale goes A,B,C,D,E,F,G

Is that what that is?

So those are the notes in that key?

Quote by mattman93
This, atheists talk about religion more then religious people.

Youtube
Take the chord you start on

The triads in a major key go: M, m, m, M, M, m, dim

So in C for example:

C maj, D min, E min, F maj, G maj, A min, B dim
*Official Deadhead*

The times they are a-changin'
you don't have to change scales every time the chord changes. you CAN do it, but you don't have to, and it's tough to do it effectively and not make it seem messy.

remember that all the chords in a key are derived from the notes of the corresponding scale... a minor key has chords that only contain the notes of the natural minor scale, and the same goes for major keys and major scales. you can get into modified chords and accidentals and passing notes and all that, but in basic terms, you can play any chord progression in any key, and solo over it using the corresponding scale for that key. all the notes will sound right. some will still have a lot of tension, but as long as you go somewhere from that tension, it'll sound just fine.

there will of course be other scales that fit over your progression. all the standard open keys, like A, D, E, B, G and C have a lot of the same notes. Some of the scales only differ by one note, and of course, what order the notes are written and played in.
Last edited by frigginjerk at Jan 7, 2009,