Ok guys, i need your opinions on different types of High-end Amp Heads. When I muster up the money for one, im gonna end up getting it, but there a few different kinds that caught my eye, and i wanted to see what everyone tough, opinions, playing experiences, Pros, Cons, everything under the sun.

Now heres the Amps i was looking at:

ENGL Power/Fireball
Peavey 6505+
Rivera Tre Knucklehead
Krank Revolution
Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier

So those are the amps i was looking at (Although i cant help but think theres one im missing.) As far as the ones ive played, ive only played the 6505+ and a Dual Rect, and while the Dual Rect had more Versatility, the 6505+ seemed more... Tight. And then i heard alot of people saying that the ENGLs are better than the 6505+

What kind cab doesnt really matter, because im about 100% sure im going to put Celestion V30 in it, but if you have any suggestions on them, feel free to say so.

Anyways, fire away guys!

Once i get my EQ pedal and a Case for my LTD, (And maybe some recording gear) ill be looking into getting whichever one you guys convince me is the best.
JCM 8-hundy o JCM 9-hundy
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Simple. ENGL FTW !! btw.. ENGL cabs are the best with ENGL heads and u cant get fooled with a powerball with a good footswitch with it (z-5 or z-9)
I heard ENGLs are extremely good for the money, but which is better? The Fireball or powerball?

BTW, i forgot to mention that i play metal, mostly All That Remainsy type stuff
High end heads? Sorry, but I'd hardly call those high end!

If you are willing to spend $2k+, those are high end heads. If so, DEFINITELY check out:

Splawn Nitro (my personal favorite, $2000, custom hand built, customizable, and amaazing sound)
Splawn Quickrod
Diezel Herbert
Diezel VH4
Framus Cobra
Framus Dragon
Peters Chimera
Bogner Uberschall

if you are looking to get used, you can find deals on Harmony Central for the Framus and Splawns for about $1500.
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Orange PPC212 w/ Celestion V30 and Celestion G12-75
Last edited by Khoifish321 at Jan 7, 2009,
I would have to aggree with the Bogner Uberschall. One of the best sounding heads in my opinion. Synyster Gates uses one. Im getting one, as soon as i can convince my parents to let me spend the money!
Quote by SMB13

Now heres the Amps i was looking at:

ENGL Power/Fireball

This really depends. You should listen first. They do cool stuff, but it's just not my favorite voicing as far as gain and dynamics go. Extremely tight, also kinda hifi if that makes sense. Try one out.

Peavey 6505+

Honestly, I would take this over the ENGLs. Tried and true, heavy sound, record great, last forever, cheaper and more replaceable, etc etc. Definitely have a great sound not a lot of amps do. Wish it had a real clean channel, but whatever.

Rivera Tre Knucklehead

No experience.

Krank Revolution

Again, no experience, but have heard plenty of clips. Kranks also have their own voicing going on, pretty huge and aggressive. Most clips I've heard have a nasally bite, but in a good way.

Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier

See sig My favorites in the rectifier line are tremoverb, rectoverb, and 2 channel duals and triples. Personally, I wouldn't go with the newer 3 channel ones. You should be able to find 2 channels for 1200 or so. I got lucky and found a triple for 700 the triple is the tightest, and stays tight in lower tunings and loud volumes with its enormous power section. They just sound huge, awesome with a boost too. Can do a lot of styles, I love my strat through it. They aren't just for nu metal. Be careful though, they are hardd to dial in sometimes. All the tone knobs interact and changing one affects how the others work. Helpful hint: orange vintage is where its at. Mids up, bass noon, treble off, presence 11 oclock. Don't turn the gain too high either. Sweeeet sweet amps.

^^
Anyone have an exact price, or link to the Uberschall specs? i would like to check it out.

And itll work for metal then, correct? im lookin for something nice and tight, and has a lot of balls as well. I want nice Chunky Palm Mutes and such. It can deliver those?
Last edited by SMB13 at Jan 7, 2009,
I've owned all those except the Krank, but I've played them enough. Out of that list, I'd choose the Fireball with an MXR 10-band eq in the loop. If you want a decent clean tone then the powerball. I prefer the FB high-gain tone over the PBs.
Uberschalls are one of the heaviest amps you could buy. They run about $2500 I think. Diezels run $3k+. This video has realllly bad sound quality, but you get the idea. There are plenty of demos on Youtube.

Just imagine this in person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbZnnwbXqT8
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Last edited by Khoifish321 at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by Khoifish321
Uberschalls are one of the heaviest amps you could buy. They run about $2500 I think. Diezels run $3k+. This video has realllly bad sound quality, but you get the idea. There are plenty of demos on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nz0OrKFKZg&feature=related

the uber with clothe grill is $2,600 new with metal its $2,758. The Herbert is about $4,300 new. I like the Uber alot, but the Herbert does everything the Uber can do and alot more. The Uber is a loose flubby mess unless you put a boost in front to tighten it up. The clean channel is useless. The Herbert is nice and tight. It has a more hi-fi modern voicing to it. The clean channel is nice and channel 2 + mode is probably my all time favorite channel of any amp along with Channel 3 of the vh4.
ah yeah I wasn't sure of the price of the Diezels, I just know they are an insane amount!

I wish I could get a VH4 though... but I still think the Splawn Nitro has got to be one of my favorites
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Herbert eh? Anyone else have any Experience with it?

I want the tightest, most darkest, ballsiest high end amp that there is. I wanna be able to literally make my ears bleed I want something that is pure METAL, lol (Once i get the money, that is)
Last edited by SMB13 at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by SMB13
Herber eh? Anyone else have any Experience with it?

I want the tightest, most darkest, ballsiest high end amp that there is. I wanna be able to literally make my ears bleed I want something that is pure METAL, lol (Once i get the money, that is)

That's the Herbert. Well the VH4 is tighter. The ENGL SE fits the bill too.

Here's my current rig...

ENGL Power not bad..very bright pretty metalcore esque

Fireball bright very harsh i even prefer the screamer

Peavey 6505+ good amp cleans are alright gain is metal standard if you are happy to sound the same as everyone very dark. amp is pretty guitar dependent (works better with brighter guitars IMO)

Rivera Tre Knucklehead-very buzzy if you like the slipknot sound which i do not

Krank Revolution- alright again buzzy/saturated nothing spectacular but not so bad

Mesa Dual/Triple Rectifier-overpriced buzzy..reminds me of Nickleback which puts me
off..Carvin v3 almost pwns the dual at 1/2 the price

My fav amps

1 Engl se (or Engl se preamp!)
2 Splawn Quickrod
3 Framus Cobra
4 5150 2
5 Soldano Hotrod
6 Diezel VHT

Investigate regarding British style amps...Opeth use cheaper Laneys and they have great heavy sounds. Remember a lot depends on right speaker, tubes and very importantly a properly broken in speaker. I was buying lots of amps being unhappy with my tones and when i tried an older speaker it made a huge difference.
Quote by mhenson42

Here's my current rig...

So the VH4, ENGL SE, and Herbert are all what im looking for for my metal machine, huh? And you said the VH4 is tighter, so, that would be more what im looking for?

Oh, and BTW, i watch those clips, and the Herbert was sick. Those Pinched Harmonics it was giving were nuts!
http://www.bogneramplification.com/customshop/UberschallInfo.php

Here is the link for the uberschall on bogners website. It can DEFINATELY deliver chunky palm mutes and anything heavy. If it sounds like they are overstating the amp on their website, they arent. It really is just as ballsy as they say it is. Also there are sound clips on their website. And they run about 2200 for pre-Blue Revision amps to 2500 to 3000. You can always get cheaper used.

If you are not sure on the sound, listen to Avenged Sevenfold. That is what they use. I know other bands use them too, i just cant think of any.

Im a fan of Mesas, but the Uberschall is just so much heaveir and more my sound.
Quote by SMB13
So the VH4, ENGL SE, and Herbert are all what im looking for for my metal machine, huh? And you said the VH4 is tighter, so, that would be more what im looking for?

Oh, and BTW, i watch those clips, and the Herbert was sick. Those Pinched Harmonics it was giving were nuts!

THIS is sick!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmbCJwjF4XA&feature=PlayList&p=370BDFFB1E9A8642&playnext=1&index=86

For me the Uberschall has a weird honk whenever ive played it.
Yeah, i seen A7X live, and they have pretty good show (Albeit Syn missing the first note to the solo in Almost Easy, but i forgive him)

But ive been watchin clips off the Bogner and the Herbert, and the Herbert is kicking its ass so far. That thing is sweet. Now i need to start saving a few thousand for one of these, lol.
Quote by mhenson42

Here's my current rig...

Where do you live so I can rob-- I mean clean your pool?
Ibanez PGM100
Taylor 314-CE
Peters Chimera
Quote by mhenson42

Here's my current rig...

haha, what's up Matt, cool to see you on this site. Herbert is still my favorite amp. I tell you though, I think the XTC has become a close second, it's ridiculously addictive. Got my V30 x H30 combo working with it, sounding killer as it's breaking in, thanks for the recommendations man.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503

haha, what's up Matt, cool to see you on this site. Herbert is still my favorite amp. I tell you though, I think the XTC has become a close second, it's ridiculously addictive. Got my V30 x H30 combo working with it, sounding killer as it's breaking in, thanks for the recommendations man.

Hey Eric. I figured I'd go ahead an join up after you PM. Never really been on this site before. I told you the v30s/h30s are a great combo. Let's see some pics of the dual Mills cabs. Next you gotta get the VH4. I can't wait to order a Mark V and I'm even thinking about picking up another Roadster. I need another guitar though. GAS is a killer.
Quote by SMB13
And whahts the Difference between the ENGL SE 1-5?

he just has 5 different clips. there is not 5 different versions.
Quote by mhenson42
he just has 5 different clips. there is not 5 different versions.

Ahh, okay, i gotcha.

And i was looking on the sight, and there was an ENGL SE, and an ENGL SE EL64. Now i know that EL64 is a type of tube, but is there any really difference between them? Because im looking at either getting the ENGL SE or the Diezel VH4 whenever i get the cash for it.
I would also throw in the VHT Pittbull UL. God that is a tight sounding amp
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by SMB13
Herbert eh? Anyone else have any Experience with it?

I've played a Herbert & a VH4 for about a half hour each, & if you want br00talz dark metal, the Herbert is the best I've heard. The Uberschall is close too (I tested one loud for about 45 min one time), but you get better articulation w/ the Herbert (one reason it costs so much more). The Uber won't do cleans anywhere close to the Diezels. I almost bought an Uber, but I tried a 5150 III right after trying the Uber, & was blown away by the voicing of it (then I bought one on ebay for $1499 new). The OD channel is super-heavy, but rich. It's def a looser overall sound compared to a Diezel though. Soldanos are the only amps I've tried that compare to the articulation of Diezels for metal, but the Soldano SLO 100 is brighter IMO, probably not as dark as you'd like. The VHT Pittbull sounds closer to a Soldano than a Diezel FWIW.

While you're saving up, take EVERY OPPORTUNITY to try these amps somewhere before committing!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by SMB13
Ahh, okay, i gotcha.

And i was looking on the sight, and there was an ENGL SE, and an ENGL SE EL64. Now i know that EL64 is a type of tube, but is there any really difference between them? Because im looking at either getting the ENGL SE or the Diezel VH4 whenever i get the cash for it.

You mean EL34? Yes, there's a difference. EL34s have more mids, a bit less bottom end. There's just two versions of the amp, one with 6L6s, and one with EL34s if you want more of a British voicing.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by mhenson42
Hey Eric. I figured I'd go ahead an join up after you PM. Never really been on this site before. I told you the v30s/h30s are a great combo. Let's see some pics of the dual Mills cabs. Next you gotta get the VH4. I can't wait to order a Mark V and I'm even thinking about picking up another Roadster. I need another guitar though. GAS is a killer.

haha, it will be a long time before I'm buying another amp unfortunately, I don't get time to enjoy the amps I have now, and it's possibly going to get worse, lol. VH4 is something I would like to get my hands on though.

I knew a Mark V would be making it's way in, just reading the initial reviews made me gas already. I'll have to see how you dig it first, you're my gear barometer.

Here's a pic of the dualies.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
haha, it will be a long time before I'm buying another amp unfortunately, I don't get time to enjoy the amps I have now, and it's possibly going to get worse, lol. VH4 is something I would like to get my hands on though.

I knew a Mark V would be making it's way in, just reading the initial reviews made me gas already. I'll have to see how you dig it first, you're my gear barometer.

Here's a pic of the dualies.

Looks killer Eric. I still haven't had the chance to play through the Mills. I did hear one at Sam Ash and it sounded pretty damn good. Did you sell your Krank cab?
Quote by Shinozoku
You mean EL34? Yes, there's a difference. EL34s have more mids, a bit less bottom end. There's just two versions of the amp, one with 6L6s, and one with EL34s if you want more of a British voicing.

It's worth noting that you can put either 6l6s or el34s in both versions of the SE. The only difference is the stock tubes they initially come with and the color of the back-lighting on the tubes (red for 6l6 and blue for el34). There is a switch and an on-board bias meter to make the changing of tubes very easy.

One think about the SE, it's build quality does not justify the price like Diezels and Bogners do.
If you haven't tried out the rivera I hope you get a chance to.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by sesstreets
If you haven't tried out the rivera I hope you get a chance to.

I owned a Rivera K-Tre last year. Excellent build quality. Shameful resale value. I wasn't a real big fan of it especially compared the the amp it was sitting on at the time...

Quote by mhenson42
Looks killer Eric. I still haven't had the chance to play through the Mills. I did hear one at Sam Ash and it sounded pretty damn good. Did you sell your Krank cab?

thanks Matt, the Mills are great cabs IMO, but you really need to try it with one of your own amps that you're already used to. They seemed to increase the usable range of EQ for me personally on all my amps, as they don't seem to flub out or harsh out at the points as other cabs. It's cool he's got them at dealers now, if I hadn't gotten to try one used first, it would have been a hard decision to purchase a new one.

Still have the Krank cab. I was trying to sell it locally, but no one was interested, and it's too much of a PITA to ship. I'm just going to keep it around until I figure out what to do with it, it's still a really good sounding cab. I have some Texas Heats and V30 in an X pattern in it currently, but I'm thinking about trying some Greenbacks while I have it around.
amp clips
amp vids
^that 5150 looks brand new. you got a great deal on that. I have no love for the Stein - I think that's the only amp we disagree on.