Hey guys. Once I sell my BOSS ME-20, one of the pedals I need to get is a pedal for metal distortion.

I do not play metal with my band, I only play it for fun when I am practicing, I might do some covers of metal songs for youtube, and I basically just want one.

I have two choices.

Choice one is a Metal Muff. I have heard good things about these, and I know from UG that it will do the job well.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost?sku=153339

My second choice is the Krank Distortus Maximus.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Distortus-Maximus-Distortion-Pedal?sku=157600

You see, I am a fan of Dethklok/Brendan Small, and I think that his distortion is awesome. I know he uses Krank amps, and there is a Krank Distortion pedal that I found on Musicians Friend. Would this pedal give me a good Dethklok-like distortion?

Remember, I don't want the exact tone, but I do want a distortion that is similar.

Basically, I just want a good metal pedal, and I have these two choices.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
I haven't tried the Metal Muff, so I can't comment.

The Krank sounded like crap when I tried it, I was really disappointed. It sounded mushy, weak and like the clean tone was bleeding through, over the distortion.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
New Amp First !!!!
the muff is only great for trashy stuff and some modern stuff but for brutal metal i suggest looking at Damage Control Demonizer pedal IF you have $300
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
New Amp First !!!!

Shut up.

Please don't get into a discussion about my amp. I like mine, so thats fine, okay?

Pretend I have a $2000 amp (even though I don't) and just talk about the PEDALS.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Quote by tmfiore
Please don't get into a discussion about my amp. I like mine, so thats fine, okay?

Then why do you need a distortion pedal?

I'd go with the Metal Muff. Neither one are going to make that amp sound too great, but at least the Metal Muff is generally thought of as a good pedal. I've not tried the Krank pedal though, but I really wouldn't be willing to gamble on it if I can't try it first.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by tmfiore
Shut up.

Even though MG's have a notorious reputation for sounding like ****.

Anythig other than a MEtal Zone, I'll tell you that.
New amp. I don't care if you don't want to hear it, you should get a new amp.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Metal Muff.

I have a similar amp (the Marshall Lead 12 Mini-stack) which is pretty much your amp's ancestor and I can get some pretty wicked tones with the Metal Muff.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Been checking out the demo disc that elctro harmonix sent with my Bass Big Muff, which arrived today, and I have to say that the Metal Muff demo looks awesome!!!! Seriously, its pretty versatile and will get endless use, and it sounded amazing! I'd get one in a flash if i were a guitarist rather than a bassist.
I will go with the Metal Muff.

As for my amp, as soon as I buy my recording setup, you will hear it. I made this amp sound good. After tinkering with EQ and my OS-2's controls, I have a good tone on it, modeled after NOFX's tone, that sounds great for the punk music I play with my band.

I don't play metal seriously, so I just want something to get by for things.

I did wish I bought a B-52 which is tube and is the same price, but hey, my MG is still good, I will keep it.

You people will hear my sound, probably in about 2 months from now.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
You will not get a good sound from the pedal into a crappy solid state amp

But hey, enjoy believing that you have killer br00t4l tone while in reality you are raping peoples ears, whatever floats your boat.

the end.
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
tmfiore

just get a new amp even if you play around with your MG and add a few pedals it will still sound bad.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I bought a Metal Muff personally and I hated it. I ran it through my Randall RG50TC and it sounded pretty bad. The amps distortion just sounds a lot more natural and has a lot more sustain. I bought the distortion because I wanted something with more gain and sustain for soloing and stuf... I was greatly dissapointed with the Metal Muff.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
tmfiore

just get a new amp even if you play around with your MG and add a few pedals it will still sound bad.

oh just wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uH5rP159UI&feature=related

this guy is using an MG.

Watch
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
imo, unless your using a tube amp, distortion/od pedals on their own are a complete fail. if uve got a low end amp, id suggest getting a better multi fx processor. possibly zoom? just judging from experience, ive played alot of pedals and a few amps, and from my point of view thatd be your best option.

unless you wanna fork out a bit more money and buy a better amp.
Quote by tmfiore

oh just wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uH5rP159UI&feature=related

this guy is using an MG.

Watch

was that supposed to be good tone?

i mean the playing was good but his tone was nothing close to spectacular, even for youtube
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ