Okay i plan to build a bass for my Yr12 D&T project. now the emphasis isn't on my actual ability to construct such a piece as our teacher is allowed to do the bits we cant do ourselves its more on the folio and the research I do, so even though I may have rough ideas on the following questions I need more opinions on them than what I've read and seen on this forum.

The specs i would like (the whole thing is more of an experiment ) are.
5 strings
34 inch scale
Neckthrough
Fretless
Rosewood fingerboard
5 string hipshot bridge (most likely from *sigh* stewmac at this point)
EMG Pickups
graphite nut

and the woods I plan to do this with will be
Neck: Maple and Jarrah with rosewood fingerboard (assuming i can get it)
Body wings: Tasmanian black wood

Onto the questions.
How do i go about calculating the width of the nut to match the bridges string spacing? (its 3 inches from the B to G strings on a 34 inch scale bass)
What would the best way for me to carve the neck accurately be?
Any tips on getting strap balance right in regard to placement of strap buttons?
How would i go about installing the truss rod correctly?
Where would I be able to order a fretboard or the wood for one to match what will obviously be a huge string spacing?

There may be more later but thanks for any help in advance.
I am me. Live with it.
Last edited by DeAd-RiP at Jan 7, 2009,
Thanks man I may steer clear of LP Addict and nuthinbuttrubl8 as I live in Australia and I have a lumberyard very near to me and shipping costs would make the discounts though appreciated pointless.
I am me. Live with it.
Ah I see...

Well if you have a woodshop you can make your own fretboard from lumber then.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
hopefully I can still put that info in my folio though thanks mate.
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by DeAd-RiP
Thanks man I may steer clear of LP Addict and nuthinbuttrubl8 as I live in Australia and I have a lumberyard very near to me and shipping costs would make the discounts though appreciated pointless.

I feel your pain. Living in Australia makes it very expensive to do anything with guitars, or even buy them from the local shop.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
you can probably order parts and wood through Ormsby, his prices seem pretty decent.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
yea they are i've checked his site out I still cant find anyone in aus with that particular bridge though...
I am me. Live with it.
Last edited by DeAd-RiP at Jan 7, 2009,