When did Apple stop selling computers based on ability, reliability, etc...

Page 1 of 5
And start selling them overpriced based on trendiness, a "hip" ad campaign, and fanboyism? Seriously, $2000 for a laptop that will probably be outdated next year? Have you seen their prices for upgrading ram? Insane. If you want to upgrade any of the hardware, not only is it hard and limited, but expensive. For the money you spend on a mac you could build a pc that can do twice as much, and actually play games on it and such And if you spew the old "apple doesn't crash and it's easy to use and you don't get viruses" crap, you can just BUILD a pc EASILY for cheap and put a mac OS on it.

So, can someone explain why to buy a mac to me
Cause they work properly, and they don't freeze and shut down randomly.
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA _D
_RAD IO HEA D
...good question. I dunno, I like PC's better.
Quote by D-Fens

That happens so little to me. Maybe, MAYBE twice a year at most. Besides, Macs have crashed MORE on me than PC's (well, one of my PC's probably has a dodgy disk; it's gotten screwed up more times than necessary to tell... about 5, but it doesn't count.).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by Say Ocean
And start selling them overpriced based on trendiness, a "hip" ad campaign, and fanboyism? Seriously, $2000 for a laptop that will probably be outdated next year? Have you seen their prices for upgrading ram? Insane. If you want to upgrade any of the hardware, not only is it hard and limited, but expensive. For the money you spend on a mac you could build a pc that can do twice as much, and actually play games on it and such And if you spew the old "apple doesn't crash and it's easy to use and you don't get viruses" crap, you can just BUILD a pc EASILY for cheap and put a mac OS on it.

Lol noob. You're not smart enough to own a mac.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by D-Fens

Mine freezes quite often, it's only a year old. It's not my main computer anyway, I built a PC which I use for pretty much everything.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Quote by D-Fens

Just like a PC? Funny.

I've owned PC's for decades and I can't think of a single time when one EVER just randomly shut down. Not only that, but my $700 HP has about 4 times the RAM of a $2000 Mac. Woooo! Try taking care of your computer, thanks!
I've never had a problem with Macs, I just like them better for all non-gaming purposes.
Call me Jack.
All that you love...
...you must love now.
My Gear:
PRS Custom 24
Standard MIM Tele
Larrivée LV-09E
Rivera Clubster 45 112 Combo Tube
Boss ME-20 Multi-effects pedal
Boss OC-3 Super octave pedal
My own home-made octave-up pedal
u answered ur own question. they are able to sell them based on the fact that Vista sucks (which it does) and they are just a trendy thing to have.

i dual boot XP and ubuntu and rarely have problems, and when i do, i can fix them easily, and guess what, i payed half as much for my comp than a mac user did cause they wanted to be "trendy" and "in."

they USED TO BE better at graphics and video editing, but now u can get a program thats just as good in windows.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I've always had macs, and I've never had major reliability issues. The first one my family had lasted 8 years before we had to upgrade, and we've had our current one since 2005.

But what I don't get is why there's even a debate. I definitely prefer macs but A) you have to know how to use and tolerate both and B) a computer's a computer.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Where the hell have you been?
Apple has always been about the money. iPod is a perfect example. A basic iPod is worthless, you're only buying a brand name. For the same price of an iPod you could purchase a far better mp3 player with more memory, radio, pictures, video, etc. Insteasd they give you the basics and make you pay for the rest.

It's always been that way.
I have an aluminum iMac and it's the model that was made prior to the minor update (slight CPU and RAM upgrades), but I managed to buy 4GB of RAM through another source (crucial.com) and it works fine. It can handle multi-tasking fine and I've become so fond of it that whenever I mess with a PC running Windows, I have a slightly harder time with it. The layout for Leapord is just great. I don't really mind that it's going to be out of date in a matter of time; the reason I bought it was because I was confident it was going to meet my expectations and I knew I would be satisfied with it's components despite it inevitabley going out of date.
Well, if you would have researched this a bit more, you would now that you can buy your own RAM for a Mac and Apple actually has step by step instructions on how to install it. Also, they come with iLife and that comes with things teenagers like us want to do! Garageband, iMovie, etc. They're just good for people like us. PCs aren't really sleek and all that, the OS isn't exactly the best and what not. I still like PCs, and have one, but Macs are better for recording and things I need.
Hey, let's be friends.

Check my band Fear Elise and like our page!

http://tinyurl.com/46xyyv5

My Gear:

Ampeg 410HE
Ampeg B2RE
Boss ODB-3 Bass Overdrive Pedal
EHX Enigma Envelope Filter
Epiphone Thunderbird
Music Man Stingray 4
Quote by Say Ocean

The did all of this when they decided to make more money.

/thread
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
u answered ur own question. they are able to sell them based on the fact that Vista sucks (which it does) and they are just a trendy thing to have.

visa really isn't a sucky OS.
I don't see what all the hate is for it... If you know how to use it, and aren't a complete computer tard, it's a great system. Yeah it's a memory hog, but ram isn't that expensive, especially in the long run comparing it to buying a mac/macbook. When Microsoft released SP1, near all of vistas problems were fixed, so anyone who b***** about it either used it pre-SP1, or never used it at all...
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If at first you don't succeed, play bass.

Quote by Jackal58
Cats don't think. They plot.

Catch me on FLICKR
Proud owner of a beautiful PRS P22
Quote by Say Ocean
When did Apple stop selling computers based on ability, reliability, etc...

did they ever start?
Well Enough Alone
Quote by D-Fens

Really? I do heavy recording on mine and it never freezes or shuts down. And see my comment about just building or buying an equivalent pc way cheaper and putting a mac OS on it.
Mac owners bitch about Windows because Mac OS is so locked down you practically can't break it, chances are if you had a bad experience with Windows you were a bad Windows user.

The majority of Windows issues are caused by user idiocy rather than OS failure.
they look like sex
Quote by kgesme21

Quote by Hsupernova

Oh yeah, and if guitar hero got you into the guitar? you're really playing for the wrong reasons.

there is no wrong reason to play a guitar, except for world enslavement and extermination of certain races, but those guys never make it big anyway.
Quote by CamTheBass
Well, if you would have researched this a bit more, you would now that you can buy your own RAM for a Mac and Apple actually has step by step instructions on how to install it. Also, they come with iLife and that comes with things teenagers like us want to do! Garageband, iMovie, etc. They're just good for people like us. PCs aren't really sleek and all that, the OS isn't exactly the best and what not. I still like PCs, and have one, but Macs are better for recording and things I need.

You buy computers based on what is sleek

Like I said, just buy an equivalent pc so you aren't wasting money on overpriced hardware and just buy mac software for it if you want. I just don't see why anyone would overpay for software.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Mac owners bitch about Windows because Mac OS is so locked down you practically can't break it, chances are if you had a bad experience with Windows you were a bad Windows user.

The majority of Windows issues are caused by user idiocy rather than OS failure.

That's my thoughts. Besides... all that "Oh you can't get viruses on a mac" thing... ever heard of a firewall/antivirus/antispyware/etc.?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by kylepianoman
visa really isn't a sucky OS.
I don't see what all the hate is for it... If you know how to use it, and aren't a complete computer tard, it's a great system. Yeah it's a memory hog, but ram isn't that expensive, especially in the long run comparing it to buying a mac/macbook. When Microsoft released SP1, near all of vistas problems were fixed, so anyone who b***** about it either used it pre-SP1, or never used it at all...

Plus one you cheeky monkey.
myspace.com/sidetrackedrock
myspace.com/scottkrausmusic

Quote by an epic mistake
Woah guys, this is actually the first post relevant to the thread in a LOOONG time. I applaud you Scotdizzle.

I found the damn sig thing!
Quote by Say Ocean
You buy computers based on what is sleek

Like I said, just buy an equivalent pc so you aren't wasting money on overpriced hardware and just buy mac software for it if you want. I just don't see why anyone would overpay for software.
You can't get Mac OS to run on a PC, you have to use a hacked version (hackintosh, learned that word yesterday) and it isn't nearly as functional.

And if you take away any of the what? 5 total functions a Mac has, it's pretty crippled.
Quote by oneblackened
That's my thoughts. Besides... all that "Oh you can't get viruses on a mac" thing... ever heard of a firewall/antivirus/antispyware/etc.?
All credit for this goes to LordBishek

^
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by freedoms_stain
All credit for this goes to LordBishek
*comic*

tell him I said it was brilliant.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
When did they start?
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by InvaderTSN
We should start a campaign against little kids posting videos of themselves on the internet.

I tried, didn't work.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Well credit for finding it, not creating it

I thought he made it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by InvaderTSN
Did you use the cannons? I'm pretty sure it'd work if we use cannons.

I should hope it would. Anyway I agree. Get the 8-year-olds off youtube. Hell, anyone under about 12 shouldn't be able to use the internets.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by InvaderTSN
Did you use the cannons? I'm pretty sure it'd work if we use cannons.

Well, now I feel really stupid.
i recently got myself an iMac although to be honest i got one because they look nicer and i could afford it so why not? also i haven't used a computer that so effortless and stressfree than my mac.

but i don't hate Vista or anything, i actually though vista was a good OS after SP1 and i might possibly get windows 7 if i can find a cracked copy and can install it using Bootcamp.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
I got crap to do, okay? Counter-Strike isn't going to play itself.
Page 1 of 5