Page 3 of 15
Went to a camping, dropped it a few times, then after a while the headstock broke

EDIT:Anyways, to continue the spirit of the thread, I'll post the semi-classical piece I made long time ago (it was in Tabs&Chords too)

Now I realise I have a microphone in my PC so I could have played it and uploaded it to my profile, but I realized too late

EDIT2:I can also put an "experiment" that came up in the Pit, about making a solo using only 1 note...
It doesn't sound that bad to me, but I don't really know...
Attachments:
Semi-classical piece.zip
1 note solo.zip
Last edited by gonzaw at Jan 9, 2009,
^I had already heard that piece before by following your link, I think I even commented

I really like it, but in some cases, a bit too dissonant for my taste, but that's purely subjective, so don't take that into account. Lol.

One note solo was pretty cool, a break away form the ordinary. More variety than I expected. The backing thing was cool on that track.
We just added another sticky today... I don't think so. But, that's up to FP, since he's much more involved with this so far.

I like the idea in general, but I personally think that it could use a bit more organization. Right now it's a bit of a mess in my eyes, with way too many pieces and not enough in-depth crit for each of them.

I also agree with demon that some sort of sheet music or tab would be really handy for critiquing (it will only help us help you...) At the very least, people shouldn't just attach GP files, since not everybody has GP.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
I might post something later.

But when I post I Will post what for me personally is/as challenging, so I can get more (And more out of) the constructive critique.

To Gonzaw;

Intro was okay but ye nothing special.

part one D - the end; was very nice. I'd love to hear a recording. Nice play with dissonance, and I love how the piece goes to the edge, without sounding blunt dissonant, but has contour in it.

It's not my style, but I still liked it for the odd reason

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 10, 2009,
One vision, how did you film your video so we could not see you but see you playing guitar? I want to film my songs and put them on youtube too, but at the same time hide identity.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
One vision, how did you film your video so we could not see you but see you playing guitar? I want to film my songs and put them on youtube too, but at the same time hide identity.

Make it totally dark in ur room and let 1 light come from the back and not the front.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by GoldenGuitar
Thanks xxxdarrenxxx, now that I think about it, it sounds logical.

Np.

If It's still to light, you can mess with saturation/colorhue/brightness/contrast settings in windows movie maker or something.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Anyone remember the thread Freepower did where you had to write a composition about the waterfall picture? We could do some more similar things in here (as well as what's going on now, not to replace).
That sounds kinda cool but I like the idea of the "project" threads being fairly "neat", with a clean deadline and closing afterwards. It'd be a bit weird to have that kind of thing two places at once but I don't really mind.

Anyway, I don't think this thread needs a sticky, it's pretty damn busy as it is and I don't see it leaving the first page any time soon.
Quote by Freepower
That sounds kinda cool but I like the idea of the "project" threads being fairly "neat", with a clean deadline and closing afterwards. It'd be a bit weird to have that kind of thing two places at once but I don't really mind.

Anyway, I don't think this thread needs a sticky, it's pretty damn busy as it is and I don't see it leaving the first page any time soon.

Yup Yup.

This thread is like the chat thread where we let our compositions speak.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Cool fair enough

And I agree, by the look of things this thread won't need to be stickied.
Quote by GoldenGuitar

Well, you CAN see me, haha.

But yeah, make it semi dark, and have one light.
Excuse my double post.

Here's another classical composition I'm working on right now, "Romance No.3 in B minor". Yes, they're all gonna be named like that .

Anyways. Here's a GP file for those who can view it, I'd appreciate some opinions. Try not to give me anything too direct like, "Use this progression _ _ _ ", because I want to be completely original, but you can hint at things, and give as much criticization as you want

This is still the rough idea stage, and each idea is separeted by an empty bar. I also did some captions there slightly explaining each.

Also, this is meant to be played on classical guitar, trust me it sounds a lot better. Even with the RSE, the midi doesn't do it full justice, so keep that in mind. It sounds a bit stale in GP.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: And if you're wondering, this IS supposed to be "simple" in terms of content. I intend on having the triplet parts dominate most of the song. I guess it's influenced by "Spanish Romance". Since so many non-classical musicians like that song, I'm trying to do the same thing. Making it more accessible to people who don't listen to classical music on a regular basis, and don't have a good enough understanding of it.
Last edited by one vision at Jan 10, 2009,
Hey guys. I just made a piece using C Phrygian. Pretty much the first modal piece i have made. Its in my profile, titled "Waltz of the Forest Nymph". Its 3/4 time, with a slide guitar providing the lead melody, while I am singing in falsetto (i also raised it an octave) loosely harmonising with the lead. Finger picking the rhtyhm. But i need an opinion. Do you think i efectivley used the mode (since i am new to applying them in use)? Just some opinions would be nice.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Last edited by ripple07 at Jan 10, 2009,
^ It doesn't sound too modal, I'm not sure if you did use it correctly. You wouldn't have a tab? It'd be a lot easier for me to determine what key it's in. Oh, and the vocals are freakin' creepy if that's what they are
I like the vibe of it. A lot.

Sounds Hawaiian, lol.

But it doesn't sound phrygian at all to me, what kind of harmony are you using? I can't get to a guitar right now and play it out.

This piece has great potential imo, if you just expanded on the solo a bit.

Overall very good, I liked it.

EDIT: Check out my new in progress piece, posted 2 up.
Last edited by one vision at Jan 10, 2009,
Quote by ripple07
Hey guys. I just made a piece using C Phrygian. Pretty much the first modal piece i have made. Its in my profile, titled "Waltz of the Forest Nymph". Its 3/4 time, with a slide guitar providing the lead melody, while I am singing in falsetto (i also raised it an octave) loosely harmonising with the lead. Finger picking the rhtyhm. But i need an opinion. Do you think i efectivley used the mode (since i am new to applying them in use)? Just some opinions would be nice.

It's not C Phrygian, but it's F minor.

the chords you play are; C# - Cm - A#m - Fm

Nevertheless it's a cool piece, and the weird sounds were super cool

I can imagine your imagination of nymfs in a forrest; well done

Onevision;

Maybe I will listen to yours tomorrow, although i'd rather hear a real version (first). First impression says all

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx

Onevision;

Maybe I will listen to yours tomorrow, although i'd rather hear a real version (first). First impression says all

Lol okaaay.

This is not the whole thing, just a couple ideas, so if they suck, hopefully it won't ruin your impression if it
Quote by one vision
Lol okaaay.

This is not the whole thing, just a couple ideas, so if they suck, hopefully it won't ruin your impression if it

NAh it won't.

I just rather wanna hear it on a real guitar

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by one vision
Excuse my double post.

Here's another classical composition I'm working on right now, "Romance No.3 in B minor". Yes, they're all gonna be named like that .

Anyways. Here's a GP file for those who can view it, I'd appreciate some opinions. Try not to give me anything too direct like, "Use this progression _ _ _ ", because I want to be completely original, but you can hint at things, and give as much criticization as you want

This is still the rough idea stage, and each idea is separeted by an empty bar. I also did some captions there slightly explaining each.

Also, this is meant to be played on classical guitar, trust me it sounds a lot better. Even with the RSE, the midi doesn't do it full justice, so keep that in mind. It sounds a bit stale in GP.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: And if you're wondering, this IS supposed to be "simple" in terms of content. I intend on having the triplet parts dominate most of the song. I guess it's influenced by "Spanish Romance". Since so many non-classical musicians like that song, I'm trying to do the same thing. Making it more accessible to people who don't listen to classical music on a regular basis, and don't have a good enough understanding of it.

It sounds very good! Reminds me of something you'd hear in a Zelda game. The first theme is very cool, I would resolve it back to B minor though, it sounds like it sort of ends half phrase the way it is.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
It sounds very good! Reminds me of something you'd hear in a Zelda game. The first theme is very cool, I would resolve it back to B minor though, it sounds like it sort of ends half phrase the way it is.

Thanks, glad you like it. I'm very happy with the theme sofar too, just gotta finish it.

So apparently all of my compositions remind everyone of Zelda games

I'm trying to somehow resolve it back to B minor, but it's pulling too much to D Major right now, makes it sound melancholy (my intent), but I'd like to resolve it back. Any F#majors that I throw in always sound too typical and predictable. I'll keep thinking of some chord substitutions >_< .

Does the other triplet part remind you of anything classical at all? Especially the part with the pedal tones (B and G) and where the bass sort of takes over the melody. I wouldn't call it walking bass, really, but I think you know what part I'm talking about.
Quote by one vision
Thanks, glad you like it. I'm very happy with the theme sofar too, just gotta finish it.

So apparently all of my compositions remind everyone of Zelda games

I'm trying to somehow resolve it back to B minor, but it's pulling too much to D Major right now, makes it sound melancholy (my intent), but I'd like to resolve it back. Any F#majors that I throw in always sound too typical and predictable. I'll keep thinking of some chord substitutions >_< .

Does the other triplet part remind you of anything classical at all? Especially the part with the pedal tones (B and G) and where the bass sort of takes over the melody. I wouldn't call it walking bass, really, but I think you know what part I'm talking about.

It sounded like a cross between Nobuo Uematsu and Mozart to me.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Okay

I don't really listen to either of those. I don't like Mozart that much.

The non-triplet sections however, I was going for a Mozartian feel, in other words, I tried to make it sound typical and uncreative, yet catchy

Anyways, I asked because I feel like I heard it somewhere before

Oh well.
Quote by xxdarrenxx
It's not C Phrygian, but it's F minor.

the chords you play are; C# - Cm - A#m - Fm

Nevertheless it's a cool piece, and the weird sounds were super cool

I can imagine your imagination of nymfs in a forrest; well done

Onevision;

I was playing Cm - Fm - Bbm - DbMaj - Cm, wait a minute... I am dumb
edit: but thank you for your kind words though
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Last edited by ripple07 at Jan 11, 2009,
A C Phrygian progression would be:

Cm - Gm - Fm - C# - D#

Fixed
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by one vision
Okay

I don't really listen to either of those. I don't like Mozart that much.

The non-triplet sections however, I was going for a Mozartian feel, in other words, I tried to make it sound typical and uncreative, yet catchy

Anyways, I asked because I feel like I heard it somewhere before

Oh well.

Uematsu is the guy who does the music for like all of the Final Fantasy games. My honest opinion of what you've got so far, is that the first part definitely has some potential, as does the middle section, but TBH, the non triplet part feels a bit out of place.

Also, screw you, Mozart was awesome.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever

Cm - Am - Fm - C# - D#

No It won't.

the notes A and E are not part of C Phrygian.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
No It won't.

the notes A and E are not part of C Phrygian.

Sorry, I meant Gm, I don't know why I wrote Am.

but I didn't use Em.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
Sorry, I meant Gm, I don't know why I wrote Am.

but I didn't use Em.

E is the 5th interval of an Am chord(A, C#, E) , thus out of key

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by SG Man Forever

Cm - Am - Fm - C# - D#
I don't think so.

Define "phrygian" and modal playing. Are you talking about ancient renaissance modal music or contemporary modal music?

The former would be: i - x - x - v - i

The later would be: i - bII - bIII (or a combination of these chords)
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
I don't think so.

Define "phrygian" and modal playing. Are you talking about ancient renaissance modal music or contemporary modal music?

I believe we are refering to the modern definition.
Quote by Gabel
Quote by xxdarrenxx
E is the 5th interval of an Am chord(A, C#, E) , thus out of key

Good thing I didn't use an A chord then. See my edit.

Quote by demonofthenight
I don't think so.

See my edit, it was a typo. I meant to write Gm, not Am.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
Good thing I didn't use an A chord then. See my edit.

See my edit, it was a typo. I meant to write Gm, not Am.

Also The Gm chord contains an D note which is not in the key of Phrygian (it's exactly the note which is altered to make C Phrygian (D is a Major 2nd, and to get Phrygian it's flattened)

And it's still not C Phrygian, cause the only chord logical (to my ears and in theory) would be G# to end on and not D#.

C# - D# - G# = 4 - 5 - 1 (perfect (Authentic) cadence)

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jan 11, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Also The G chord contains an D note which is not in the key of Phrygian (it's exactly the note which is altered to make Phrygian)

And it's still not C Phrygian, cause the only chord logical (to my ears and in theory) would be G#.

C# - D# - G# = 4 - 5 - 1 (perfect cadence)

Strictly speaking, yes, but perfect fifths can be used in a scale they don't belong in without changing the scale. That's why they're called perfect intervals. But, if you really want to be that anal about it, play it as a minor diad, and the problem is solved.

Edit: or just play it as a diminished fifth. I'm tired leeme alone
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Last edited by SG Man Forever at Jan 11, 2009,