i was at practice the other day and we switched out my carvin head with my drummers line 6 spyder III. i think its the 50 watt? anyway. i plugged in my speaker cables to my crat cab and into the direct out plug on the line 6 and our intentions were to use it as a head and to get a better sound than my carvin. anyway no sound came out! when we unplugged the speaker cables i got sound directly through the spyder but i wanted it through my cab. so what went wrong?

I ended up just playing through the spyder. it was barely loud enuff. but we have practice again on thursday and i would like to be able to fix the problem.

so diagnosis anyone?
LOL WUT KND OF HED )))

lowest watt spyder head is 75 amp. The direct out port is a recording output, it doesnt have enough power to come out of a stack.

The situation/the way you describe it is very confusing.
Quote by vintage x metal
My toilet has seen some scenes that one would describe as 'deathcore'
ummm spyder's suck?
j/k srzly tho it sounds like an issue with the line out jack on the amp
]
The spyder is a combo amp. and it only has an direct out as i believe. unless there is a hidden output that i dont know about.

I ran a speaker cable from the direct output on the spyder to the input on the back of my crate cab. and no sound came out. i then unplugged the speaker cable from the direct output on the spyder and played just through the combo amp.
and the spyder has way better distortion than my carvin. I dont have a pedal. unfortunately...otherwise i would use my carvin
Sell that and get a decent valve head and some nice tubes. Peavey Windsor or VK sounds good for you. Maybe a Crate V100h?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the carvin is a tube head, it has a great clean tone and pretty good distortion just not death distortion...so pretty much your saying that the line six isnt gonna work...
No, it just won't sound good, IMO. What carvin head is this?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Basically, there are two types of output on an amp. A "Line" or "Direct" out, which is only at a very quiet level - slightly louder than headphones. Then the "Main" or "Speaker" out, which is at a level loud enough to drive speakers. Some amps have more than one speaker out, some have just one, and some combo's (like your spider) have only one which is wired straight into the speaker in the combo, so you can't attach it to another speaker
My advice is to just make the combo sound as loud as you can.

- Lift it off the floor, closer to head height the better.
- Keep some mids rolled up.
- Maybe a touch less distortion.

YOu should be able to hear yourself more then.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Line out is for mixers or recording wont power any kind of speakers. You could mess with the speaker cable and make it longer to plug into the cab. But your way better off with the carvin for tone.