has anyone ever done this?? like, for instance i live in aus, and have an american amp so to get rid of this massive step down transformer i have to lug around, i wanna change the actual transformer myself.

just wanna know roughly whats involved, cuz i know a guy that did it himself and it worked fine, but the company that makes the transformers keep telling me that i need to get it looked at because theres more to it then the transformer. but they could just be trying con me into spending more money. but yer, any info?

tried searching stuff like this on google and videos on youtube, no luck.
I would think that you would just have to change the transformer to one with the correct primary voltage.

Check out Mercury Magnetics they should have a transformer for your amp that should be able to support your countries mains voltage. You will probably have to call or email them to get a price. They would also be able to tell you what all would be involved but I am pretty sure it would just be a transformer swap.

Keep in mind that the transformers are pretty much the most expensive part in an amp.
yeha i can get one from a company over here for $308 AUD. but they keep trying to doubt me and tell me to send it to one of theyr technicians.

do u know whats involved with swapping the transformers? like soldering etc?

im tempted to crank mine open and sus it out, but i better clear it up beforehand haha.
Quote by mangz_adr
yeha i can get one from a company over here for $308 AUD. but they keep trying to doubt me and tell me to send it to one of theyr technicians.

do u know whats involved with swapping the transformers? like soldering etc?

im tempted to crank mine open and sus it out, but i better clear it up beforehand haha.

Ok, if you don't know what's involved in changing a transformer, then they have every reason to doubt you. It's not like changing a pair of strings.

I haven't changed a power transformer before but I've installed a power transformer on a tube amp. I mean, it's about as big a job as you're going to get in terms of replacing parts but it's not really all that hard IF you know what you're doing. All it involves is taking out the old transformer, mounting the new one and making a few solder connections. That's it really, the reason why people want you to take it to a tech is because...

1) if you have a tube amp, they have these things called filter caps which store a lot of charge, even when the amp is off and are grounded to the chassis and putting your hands in the wrong places around the amp can cause them to drain their charge into you and kill your ass.
2) seeing that you would have to install the transformer, make the connections, and then test your voltages at various spots in the circuit, you may really want to have a tech do it. I'm going to take it that if you already don't have any idea what's involved, you won't be able to do this part, especially if you run into problems.

I've never opened up or looked at the design of a solid state amp before, but I'll take it that the general principle of changing a transformer is not much different.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 8, 2009,