I've only been to Guitar Center twice... the first time was when I bought my guitar, and the guy sold it to me for $277 even though I told him I had $315. So that was cool.

The second time, I went to a different Guitar Center with the intention of buying a Boss SD-1 pedal (the first store I'd gone to didn't have it in stock). I checked the price on the Guitar Center website ($49) but it sounded high to me so I found and printed a webpage selling it for $38. Guitar Center makes a big deal about how they price match and "lowest price guarantee". I wanted to get it at a store and not have to wait for shipping.

When I went into the store, I asked a guy behind the counter if he had the SD-1, and he said yes. Then he grabbed it and asked if I wanted anything else, pretty much assuming I was going to buy it even though he hadn't even told me the price. So I asked him how much it was and he said "$59.99".

Apparently he thought I was a ****ing idiot. I just said "uh..." and gave him the printout. Him and another employee stared at it like it was written in some archaic code, and then disappeared into a back room to "verify".

For twenty-five minutes I stood there waiting for the price to be verified, totally ignored by all of the employees. I was already pissed that he tried to overcharge me and since the pedal was just sitting on the counter I was starting to consider just taking it and putting a twenty on the counter and leaving. Finally, they came back out, and said they would give it to me for $45.83 because that was what it would cost after shipping from the other website. I said that was too high and he asked me what I was thinking and I said $40. Then tells me "$45.83 is the absolute lowest we can go, there's no way we can go lower than that". So I gave him another printout of a store on Amazon selling the same pedal for $37+$5 shipping (for a total of $42) and he told me that Amazon sellers weren't authorized sellers and getting it from a non-authorized seller would automatically void the warantee and I would be unable to get product support.

Is that true? Is that even legal? I don't think they could automatically void the warantee depending on where you bought it. The Guitar Center guy just seemed full of **** to me.

At this point I was so angry I was actually shaking. I told him that he tried to rip me off, that their website said $49 and he had tried to sell it to me for $59 even though it said "Holiday Special Sales" ALL OVER THE STORE. He completely ignored that and said that $45.83 was coming out of his own pocket. I told him I didn't believe him. He started to say "It doesn't matter if you believe me" but I just walked out because I was done with their bull****. I ended up getting the pedal from Musician's Friend (which is owned by Guitar Center god dammit) for $44 with free shipping.
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
You spell things like a jackass
Last edited by thelonesoldier at Jan 7, 2009,
Those guys are full of ****. I also hate it when a person who's new to guitar comes into the guitar shop and they go up to the counter to ask a question. Usually, the guys there are 20 something, and think they are real badasses because they can play the intro to Crazy Train. These people just piss me off.
All for one and one for all.
OH MAN I JUST REMEMBERED A CONVERSATION I OVERHEARD.

There was a guy, kind of hickish looking in his thirties, asking an employee which tabulature book he should get.
Employee: "So you want something for solos?"
Guy: "Yeah, a lot of solos. Like, a lot of solos. I want to be like Slash."

I had to try so hard not to burst out laughing.
If you're not getting enough gain, you should totally just daisy-chain some solid state amps with headphone jacks together. Remember: Need gain? Use a chain!
------
Quote by Normul
You spell things like a jackass
stupid aholes dude they constantly bug me to buy something when i'm there just checking amps and **** out.
Dude, **** those guys seriously. It sounds like you were right to me, he was bs-ing you. I can understand that 45.83 though, if you honestly forgot to add shipping and handling.
I've decided that my signature is terrible. I'm open to suggestions.

Click me, or I'll die.

# Un-nominated in UG Top 100,
Quote by angus_young_32
Those guys are full of ****. I also hate it when a person who's new to guitar comes into the guitar shop and they go up to the counter to ask a question. Usually, the guys there are 20 something, and think they are real badasses because they can play the intro to Crazy Train. These people just piss me off.

Why do you hate that?
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
you can buy everything cheaper online these days. Most ppl that work at guitar stores are just rip off artists
Quote by dubstar92
Why do you hate that?

I see your point. I meant that I hate the arrogant redneck assholes that answer the poor guy's questions.
All for one and one for all.
Guitar Center is good to go and hang out in, but I'd never buy in there. They're full of **** and pissy as hell if you challenge their prices. The one where I live is pretty much an anarchy until you decide to bring up price.

I personally prefer Portland Music. They get really weird if you're in there for a few minutes, but they do really good buisinuess, give away free set ups, and they follow through with you after you buy. Then again, Portland Music only exists in Portland Oregon I think.

Guitar Center is fun to hang out in, terrible to buy from. That's my point.
Quote by angus_young_32
I see your point. I meant that I hate the arrogant redneck assholes that answer the poor guy's questions.

Ok, that makes more sense

and to ToneDeaf, same here
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
I love the one I go to. One of the salesmen there and I have become pretty good friends. We pretty much just end up talking about random stuff and bands for a good few hours only pausing when a customer needs help from him. Other than that alot are really helpful and my bro talked out some sweet deals in the drum department.
We sailed through endless skies...

Quote by King Twili

if someone sigs this i will be fairly displeased.

Lady Gaga has a penis! >>EVIDENCE<<

i¯i▀▀▀i¯i‾°δ‾‾Pך]█████████████████████████
Quote by raven_gekko
Guitar Center is good to go and hang out in, but I'd never buy in there. They're full of **** and pissy as hell if you challenge their prices. The one where I live is pretty much an anarchy until you decide to bring up price.

I personally prefer Portland Music. They get really weird if you're in there for a few minutes, but they do really good buisinuess, give away free set ups, and they follow through with you after you buy. Then again, Portland Music only exists in Portland Oregon I think.

Guitar Center is fun to hang out in, terrible to buy from. That's my point.

Agreed. I go there regularly, but I never buy guitars. I do, however, buy strings, picks, and things of the like occasionally.
It's called tax. It was sold at the store for $49 and depending on the state you live in there is a different tax percentage on products in stores. They were probably doing what they were supposed to be doing and thought you were the asshole.
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
This is why I shop at my local shop for all my guitar needs not Guitar Center, yeah GC is a bigger store but I like that the people at my local shop actually CARE ABOUT CUSTOMER SATISFACTION, wow what a concept guitar center maybe you should try it sometime.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
why do we need a thread on guitar centre stories every second day?

and consider yourself lucky you can buy boss pedals for around $50, here it is like $110 to $150 and above.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Pffffffft schematics

Although i guess the OP will have to get used to reading them if he's going to buy a bugera..
Quote by gregs1020

along with fire escape routes...

The manager (I think that's his position) of the GC near me is the nicest guy, he knows his stuff, and he doesn't bide by the "no haggling" rule.

All the other employees are metalheads (not that theres anything wrong with that) and idiots.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
the one closest to me is pretty cool, employees aren't douches and my friends dad (who is aslo big into music) has bought a lot from them, enough to where to manager asks him how the new double bass paddles are working for his son
It's all just a joke

sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad.

if you go there a lot, and they see you on the list and everything, you can normally get discounts by saying "i buy all of my gear here, and i shop here all the time, but i don't get many discounts"

worked for me at least.
v CLICK v

Quote by musicjunkie207
The time I fell on my face on a trampoline and cracked my neck, then proceded to run around the yard in a blind panic screaming "I hope I'm not paralyzed! OH GOD I THINK I'M PARALYZED!"
**** anything and everything about GC. When you go there YOU tell THEM what's what. **** them!!!!! ahhhhh

I feel for you TS
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by thelonesoldier
I've only been to Guitar Center twice... the first time was when I bought my guitar, and the guy sold it to me for $277 even though I told him I had $315. So that was cool.

The second time, I went to a different Guitar Center with the intention of buying a Boss SD-1 pedal (the first store I'd gone to didn't have it in stock). I checked the price on the Guitar Center website ($49) but it sounded high to me so I found and printed a webpage selling it for $38. Guitar Center makes a big deal about how they price match and "lowest price guarantee". I wanted to get it at a store and not have to wait for shipping.

When I went into the store, I asked a guy behind the counter if he had the SD-1, and he said yes. Then he grabbed it and asked if I wanted anything else, pretty much assuming I was going to buy it even though he hadn't even told me the price. So I asked him how much it was and he said "$59.99".

Apparently he thought I was a ****ing idiot. I just said "uh..." and gave him the printout. Him and another employee stared at it like it was written in some archaic code, and then disappeared into a back room to "verify".

For twenty-five minutes I stood there waiting for the price to be verified, totally ignored by all of the employees. I was already pissed that he tried to overcharge me and since the pedal was just sitting on the counter I was starting to consider just taking it and putting a twenty on the counter and leaving. Finally, they came back out, and said they would give it to me for $45.83 because that was what it would cost after shipping from the other website. I said that was too high and he asked me what I was thinking and I said $40. Then tells me "$45.83 is the absolute lowest we can go, there's no way we can go lower than that". So I gave him another printout of a store on Amazon selling the same pedal for $37+$5 shipping (for a total of $42) and he told me that Amazon sellers weren't authorized sellers and getting it from a non-authorized seller would automatically void the warantee and I would be unable to get product support.

Is that true? Is that even legal? I don't think they could automatically void the warantee depending on where you bought it. The Guitar Center guy just seemed full of **** to me.

At this point I was so angry I was actually shaking. I told him that he tried to rip me off, that their website said $49 and he had tried to sell it to me for $59 even though it said "Holiday Special Sales" ALL OVER THE STORE. He completely ignored that and said that $45.83 was coming out of his own pocket. I told him I didn't believe him. He started to say "It doesn't matter if you believe me" but I just walked out because I was done with their bull****. I ended up getting the pedal from Musician's Friend (which is owned by Guitar Center god dammit) for $44 with free shipping.

Is it legal for a store to sell something at a price they set? Yes. Why the HELL do so many people on here believe they deserve something for nothing? Things don't go their way so they immediately cry "OMG LAWSUIT!"

Protip: Shipping costs money. That's why it costs less on the internet.
You're*