I recently purchased an Ibanez ART100. I had been looking into a les paul-type guitar to compliment my tele, and this one played really well. I bought some locking tuners for it, and now i'm interested in changing the pickups. I've just found the stock ones to be very muddy and bright. I play blues, jazz, rock etc.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to humbuckers haha. So what i think I'm looking for is a warm neck pickup that is capable of doing blues/jazz and a bridge pickup that isn't as bright as the stock one. I really dig Joe Bonamassa's blues tone, so maybe that would be something to keep in mind? I think i need pickups that can be very articulate? At least, i would like them to be able to play awesome cleans yet be able to distort pretty well and still retain some clarity.

I am running my guitar into a boss tu2, ibanez ts9, and a clean boost into a Peavey Valveking.

Sorry for the vagueness, I really do not know much about humbuckers haha. Thanks in advance!
valveking probably isnt very good for getting bonomassas tones. have you seen his rig?
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Can't help you with the pickups on the Ibanez, but an amp may be all you're looking for. The Artcore Ibanezs have a great clean tone - check out a Fender Blues Jr NOS (allowing for both your fat bluesy cleans, as well as your overdriven rock) or maybe a VOX amp. I found I liked the sound of VOX's amps clean when trying an artcore.
Burstbuckers are great. Warren Haynes has them in next to all of his guitars and they sing. Also, look into SDs P-Rails. They're really interesting and warrant inspection, rather than having me simplify them.
By the way, I'm using an American Deluxe Strat with noiseless pickups through a standard Blues Jr. TS9, Crybaby, Blues Driver, and Compression / Sustain for effects. I get a GREAT bluesey tone, but am also able to get some classic rock overdrive sound.
Quote by chea_man
valveking probably isnt very good for getting bonomassas tones. have you seen his rig?

Yes I have.
The valveking is definitely not the best amp in the world, but i play a lot of different styles of music. The valveking clean channel is definitely not the best, but it will do. I really don't have that kind of money to spend on the stuff he has. I'm not looking to recreate his tone, it was just an idea.

I have looked into burstbuckers and they look pretty good, but a friend of mine suggested The Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo? Any thoughts on that?
Last edited by euphorictacos at Jan 7, 2009,
Quote by euphorictacos
Yes I have.
The valveking is definitely not the best amp in the world, but i play a lot of different styles of music. The valveking clean channel is definitely not the best, but it will do.

I have looked into burstbuckers and they look pretty good, but a friend of mine suggested The Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo? Any thoughts on that?

Duncans= Way better than Burstbuckers. IMO, Burstbuckers are terrible. You should look into the 59, Pearly Gates, Seth Lover and maybe Alnico 2 for bride, possibly for the neck as well but the Jazz is great for the neck position. The JB IMO is kind of an 80s metal pickup but could work for you. Sheptones would be good but I don't know how much you want to spend since their $259 a set. Keep in mind that you might just wanna save the money if you couldn't hear a big difference during a side by side comparison because your auditory memory often decieves you into thinking something is better since that's what you want to think when it really doesn't make much of a difference.
One thing you could do is ask in GB&A. I know that there are people in there who will hand wind pickups for the tone you want.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
i just got a pearly gates in the bridge and loveee it.... its bright but not overly bright, its like a very balanced clear sound, like if you think your stock ones sound muddy, this is the complete oposite....... incredibly clean but they work for like overdriven stuff real good too, they just make it all clearer and nicer, well at least the bridge, id imagine neck would the do the same but i donno lol, but ya pearly gates for the bridge would be good
Joe Bonamassa uses WCR Godwoods in his les paul. You might want to check them out but they're a little expensive. Also, if your guitar is already naturally dark sounding, you way want to go in the way of WCR Fillmores or Darkbursts. I have the Fillmores in my guitar and they just kill, very clear and articulate, clean up real well, and just have a warm singing sustain. They're good for darker guitars, but they aren't really bright, they have a lot of high end bite, but if you're looking for more grind, you may want to look elsewhere. It's a smooth, slightly rolled off high end, but it still has tons of bite. Through my amp on a medium gain setting, the bridge pickup pretty much sounds exactly like Duane's tone in this video at around 0:54.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHhKnc0XZrs&feature=channel_page

The neck is very articulate, despite being wound a bit hot.

http://www.wcrguitar.com/fillmore.html

Clips on that site along with clips of the Godwoods and Darkbursts.

I don't recommend the JB/'59 set for les paul type guitars, in my experience the JBs are very bright and can be very harsh and the low end gets muddy and flubby. '59 worked well in the bridge of my les paul but it was just a little too scooped sounding and not articulate enough in the neck.
Last edited by al112987 at Jan 8, 2009,
One of my friends just got a matching set of 59's in his les paul. I'm going to play them this weekend and see if i like them. But those WCR Fillmores sound awesome. I'm going to try to find a guitar with a Pearly Gates in it as well. I'll come back if i have more questions...

Thanks a bunch guys!