So I've been playing guitar for almost a year now. (started on February 1st 2008), and I'm going to begin recording demos soon in a few months. I've been a big fan of theatrical 80's rock like Alice Cooper, KISS, W.A.S.P., and others. I love the horror themes of bands like Rob Zombie and Lordi as well.

But I've now discovered other music. More progressive music. Primus being a prime example. (hehe) And now, developing a style is quite difficult for me. Should I study more progressive fields or just hard rocking? Should I combine both? Should I just do what feels right? I'm a bit lost in the direction I want to head as a guitarist. Can someone please give me advice on these problems? Thanks for reading.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Learn everything.

There's time.

This.

Plus,

progressive requires a VAST knowledge of theory.

Study your ass off if that's your goal.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Just play whatever comes naturally. The only way to develop your own style us play alot. Time is the solution.

If musicians knew exactly what they wanted to play when they started out there wouldn't be any evolution from bands. Every album would be the same (see Hinder, Nickelback).

Recording demos, or even early serious recordings isn't about being the perfect musician. That's where you find your style. Recording is the best opportunity to do so, so I suggest to try and do so often.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Learn everything.

There's time.

And listen to everything.
Especially Pink Floyd and The Beatles.
Slightly biased there as they're my favourite bands, but they are just so amazing. Pink Floyd are THE Progressive band of all time, in my opinion. Considering when their biggest albums such as Dark Side and Wish you Were Here were made, the recording quality is impeccable, and so is the music. Flawless.

As for The Beatles, at one point I couldn't stand them. I don't know why, it just aggrivated me that people considered them to be the the greatest band of all time. I was all "What is this nonsense you speak? A few simple chords and pop lyrics. how are they better than the likes of Led Zeppelin, with the power behind Plants' vocals and...Jimmy Page."

But that's just the beauty of it. Lennon and McCartney were such amazing songwriters that a few simple chords is all their songs needed.
Moreover, their music isn't just a few simple chords. They aren't Oasis.
Listen to them seriously.

Listen to anything and everything.
Music is inspirational. Don't just go off fast solos and epic riffs. Go off music.

Can you tell I needed to get a new found love for The Beatles off my chest?
Quote by adyhendrixc
And listen to everything.
Especially Pink Floyd and The Beatles.
Slightly biased there as they're my favourite bands, but they are just so amazing. Pink Floyd are THE Progressive band of all time, in my opinion. Considering when their biggest albums such as Dark Side and Wish you Were Here were made, the recording quality is impeccable, and so is the music. Flawless.

As for The Beatles, at one point I couldn't stand them. I don't know why, it just aggrivated me that people considered them to be the the greatest band of all time. I was all "What is this nonsense you speak? A few simple chords and pop lyrics. how are they better than the likes of Led Zeppelin, with the power behind Plants' vocals and...Jimmy Page."

But that's just the beauty of it. Lennon and McCartney were such amazing songwriters that a few simple chords is all their songs needed.
Moreover, their music isn't just a few simple chords. They aren't Oasis.
Listen to them seriously.

Listen to anything and everything.
Music is inspirational. Don't just go off fast solos and epic riffs. Go off music.

Can you tell I needed to get a new found love for The Beatles off my chest?

Yeah, I can tell. You've kind of helped me a bit. I've liked the Beatles, but not loved them. My mom owns the whole collection, so I guess I'll give it a spin some time.

I once heard that EVERY music you listen to, you're influenced by it. Like, I've been influenced by rap. When I hear rap, I say to myself "OKAY, this is definently NOT what I want my music to sound like." You know what I mean? Like positive and negative influence kind of.
Wow, you like 80s glam, horror, and some progressive stuff.

That's easy.

To be honest, and not trying to be rude, but you haven't event began to start having problems trying to think of stuff to write.

This is every artist in my iTunes (at this point)

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17994229&postcount=83

That totals to nearly 6500 songs, and I will be adding around another 60 or so tonight. YOU have problems with conflicting influences?

But, truth be told, just think of a base sound you want to go for, listen to the bands/watch the movies/etc. that would best help in your desired sound, and just study it. If another bands gets in the way and you think you can integrate it, by all means try and add it.

It's all experimentation.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by fallenangel20

That's easy.

To be honest, and not trying to be rude, but you haven't event began to start having problems trying to think of stuff to write.

That totals to nearly 6500 songs, and I will be adding around another 60 or so tonight. YOU have problems with conflicting influences?

But, truth be told, just think of a base sound you want to go for, listen to the bands/watch the movies/etc. that would best help in your desired sound, and just study it. If another bands gets in the way and you think you can integrate it, by all means try and add it.

Okay, sounds great. You kind of gave me a good idea actually. But damn dude, you like a lot of awesome bands there.
Quote by fallenangel20

That's easy.

Having so many artists you like shouldn't be a problem when it comes to gaining influence. listening to all of them could lead you to discovering new sounds you've never heard before, and more importantly sounds you like.

For the record I have nearly 9000 songs, and I want more! Music is just the most amazing thing EVER, I'm sure you'll agree, as would most guitarists. And the more you listen to, the more likely it is you'll find a song that just makes you think WOW! And you want to make music like this artist has, along with all the other songs you have heard that have amazed you beyond words.
Quote by adyhendrixc
Having so many artists you like shouldn't be a problem when it comes to gaining influence. listening to all of them could lead you to discovering new sounds you've never heard before, and more importantly sounds you like.

This is true. Very true, in fact.

But it's where I get caught. I don't want to be a cookie cutter band. The sounds I want to go for are the sounds that, coincidentally, are getting more and more popular, and more and more generic. So, that calls for hybrid genres. That creates even more trouble, because then you have to choose what genre(s) you want to add.

Then that means more influence.

It's just a vicious cycle.

I'm sure I'll nail something down one day, though.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
The more you play and listen, the more your playing evolves. Don't try to force a style on yourself, that's somthing that comes with time and experience. Listen to a lot of your favorite artists, from their first CDs to their recent works. I bet the playing and the style progresses a lot over the years (Metallica and Slipknot are great examples).

A year seems like an awfully short time to be thinking about recording demos. Maybe you should give yourself some more time to develop as a musician first. Guitar isn't a race, it's more like a fine wine: The longer you let it age, the better it gets.

-Edit-
Oh, and +1 to listening to more Beatles. They're another great example of how bands progress over the years, and they wrote a lot of killer music to boot. Listen to Yesterday, Blackbird, and Ellanor Rigsby when you're in a mellow mood and you'll hear downright symphonic sounds in their simplicity. It really is less like a "band" (verse, prechorus, chorus, verse, solo, chorus, verse etc) and more like a symphony where even the most basic parts play such a huge part in the overall music (with the exception of Blackbird which is just an acoustic guitar and a sampled bird singing). There's a lot of stellar music there after their early i-wanna-hold-your-hand-'pop star' days
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Last edited by Garou1911 at Jan 7, 2009,
Just pick up a guitar and be happy with whatever comes out. That's what I do.
Quote by C O B H C
If you want to get really technical about it..

1. Grab sticks.
2. Bang sticks on drums.

^how to play drums.

UG POKER
you've been playing for a year, you need more time, I've been playing for 5 years and only in the past year have I started writing my own music