Gear:
-Epiphone les paul standard (all stock)
-Monster Cable (about 6 ft)
-Bugera 333 (all stock)
-I prefer using the bridge pickup while I play metal because I like getting the squeals (I'm still working on making them consistent).
-For EQing, I generally have the mids around 2-4. My bass is usually up around 7-8.5 and treble is up around 7-8. I noticed that when I started backing off with the bass and treble, the gain loses its heavyness, and theres little articulation with the low E string ect. Gain is usually anywhere from 5-8. Still trying to find the right amount. My channel volume is usually about halfway up and the master is at around 3-4ish.

Suggestions? Does a specific piece of my equipment suck? (Lol, don't bash the Bugera, but feel free to suggest alternative components). I'm trying to avoid pedals for now also. I was considering new pickups in the LP. Or maybe I'm just poor at EQing. Feel free to suggest anything or bash. TY!

Edit: Oh, by the way. I was also thinking my tubes may possibly be a bit cold. I'm uncertain if I should replace them and rebias, or if I should just bias them (maybe pull 2 tubes as well).
Last edited by Watterboy at Jan 7, 2009,
boost the mids and lower the treble and bass. Then if you don't get anything from that, think about picking up an Overdrive pedal
New pickups would definitely help - Epiphone stock pickups aren't very good.

Also, playing around with the EQ might help improve your tone a bit.

But it sounds to me like you would benefit from a boost pedal such as a Digitech Bad Monkey.
Whats more effective in terms of tone improvement and cost efficiency? A boost pedal or a new or new pickups (probably active, although I'm not sure if I wanna sacrifice my clean tone). And it is possible that I haven't had my amp cranked up enough as well. Every1 says it sounds great at around 5, but is that channel volume maxed with max volume at 5? or what?
I dont love boost pedals in front of amps, so Id have to say stick some new pickups in that baby.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I'm currently using Earnie Ball 9s. I pretty much always stick to E standard and sometimes drop D, but I think I'm gonna bump up to 10s instead. Not sure if I should stay with Earnie. I can't quite get that top string to squeal some reason though.
Bump up to 10's for sure, and eventually 11 if you can. 9's sound very weak IMO. Even 10's sometimes. Your lows boom a lot more with heavy strings, and your highs are smoother.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
your rig has no hope in my opinion. cheap amp + cheap speakers will always sound sterile and muddy.
My band.
www.myspace.com/bransonny

My gear.
Marshall: JCM800 2205, 6100, 1960AV
H&K: Triamp MKII, Duotone
Mesa: Recto recording pre, 212
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
Gibson: LP std, SG std, SG goth, SG spec
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
I've heard some good tones coming out of the Bugeras in plenty of video and audio clips. Speakers could always be replaced. You could always suggest a decent replacement speaker. And thanks for the info on strings dcd.
ok... replace the speakers with v30s. Throw JJ's in the power section, and tung-sols in the preamp section. Replace the transformer with a mercury. Replace all the resistors with higher quality resistors. Throw some burstbuckers in the epi, and learn how to EQ and turn down the gain.
My band.

My gear.
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
I would suggest a boost pedal, like the previously mentioned Bad Monkey.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Back off the treble and increase the mids. Add light reverb.

Get a new cable that's 10-15 ft long, something cheaper than a Monster. 6 ft is just an unnecessary annoyance.

Your equipment is serviceable for gigging, but certainly not desirable. There's no reason to buy a 120W amp for that cheap. If you're playing big enough venues to need the full 120 watts, you should be getting paid enough to afford something nicer.

A new guitar would be a cheaper upgrade. A new amp will make a bigger difference.
Please don't assume I care enough about your guitar rig, your general thoughts on life, the funny things people have said about you, or anything else not related to the topic at hand to have the view signatures option turned on. I don't.
Quote by Ddjembe Mutombo
ok... replace the speakers with v30s. Throw JJ's in the power section, and tung-sols in the preamp section. Replace the transformer with a mercury. Replace all the resistors with higher quality resistors. Throw some burstbuckers in the epi, and learn how to EQ and turn down the gain.

Putting a MM tranny in a Bugera? I hope you're kidding. The upgrades are worth more than the amp.
^I think that was his point I guess I took it as Internet Sarcasm.

TS - you said in your OP "Edit: Oh, by the way. I was also thinking my tubes may possibly be a bit cold. I'm uncertain if I should replace them and rebias, or if I should just bias them (maybe pull 2 tubes as well)."

I would read the blog BeerChurch wrote on this. I think it will help you, especially if you keep your amp. He can be found posting frequently in the Bugera Users Militia thread.

Otherwise - OD, Speaker, EQ, Tubes in that order
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^I think that was his point I guess I took it as Internet Sarcasm.

TS - you said in your OP "Edit: Oh, by the way. I was also thinking my tubes may possibly be a bit cold. I'm uncertain if I should replace them and rebias, or if I should just bias them (maybe pull 2 tubes as well)."

I would read the blog BeerChurch wrote on this. I think it will help you, especially if you keep your amp. He can be found posting frequently in the Bugera Users Militia thread.

Otherwise - OD, Speaker, EQ, Tubes in that order

Correct bias will help...

I don't know...I get FULL saturation on the lead channel with the gain around 4 with a fairly hot Carvin PU. (Thats with the XL switches engaged on a 333XL into a 412)

Only other thing I would suggest is to set the dampening switch to "low" to open the speakers up. Max out the channel levels, then turn up the master as loud as you an take it.
333 does not do 'tight'. That's the character of the amp.
If you wanted tight, you should've got a 62XX.
Quote by al112987
Putting a MM tranny in a Bugera? I hope you're kidding. The upgrades are worth more than the amp.

i previously said his rig was a lost cause, but he wanted specifics. I know it sounds retarded, that is why he is better off buying a new amp than trying to make this ****ter sound good.
My band.

My gear.
2 Avatar 412 (v30's)
G&L ASAT classic
Martin DC-16GTE
Boost that witch! Also the Bugera isn't a lost cause, but I will say it strongly benefits from better tubes. Put some KT77s in the power amp, Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V1, JJs in V2 and 3 and then a JAN-Phillips 5751 in the PI spot. Thank me later. Also Eminence Speakers sound excellent in this one. Try Texas Heats on for size
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by al112987

Besides in a high gainer I'd go with a Heyboer, not MM. MM is overpriced and primarily aimed at Fender and low wattage amps in my experience
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by FlyingBeerman
Get a new cable that's 10-15 ft long, something cheaper than a Monster. 6 ft is just an unnecessary annoyance.

Wát.

Quality > quantity.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Ghold125
boost the mids and lower the treble and bass. Then if you don't get anything from that, think about picking up an Overdrive pedal

Quote by i_am_metalhead

But it sounds to me like you would benefit from a boost pedal such as a Digitech Bad Monkey.
These. Just change your bridge pickup, get an OD, and lower the bass on your amp while adding more mids.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Tungsols are too bright and harsh sounding for Peaveys and Bugeras. Throw a JJ ECC83S in the V1 and V2 spots and lower the bass. People are always running their bass way too high. 5-6 is suffice. Your stock Epi bridge pickup is also anything but tight for high gain playing. They are loose, sloppy and unfocused.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Ddjembe Mutombo
i previously said his rig was a lost cause, but he wanted specifics. I know it sounds retarded, that is why he is better off buying a new amp than trying to make this ****ter sound good.

dude, chill out. his amp is fine for what he is doing. he is asking how to make the best of what he has. not everyone can justify spending lots of money on a rig.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
i got a marshall mg and a MONSTER TONE out of it by cranking the bass and middle almost all the way, cutting back on the treble a bit, and keeping the presence down. Then I put it through a BOSS sd-1 with lots of tone and little drive.

I SWEAR I get a better tone than most valve state amps ive played.

IN conclusion, get an od pedal because they are totally badass. NO DIGITECH IMO.
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
Quote by i_am_metalhead

No kidding. They're really muddy and well... boring sounding. There's nothing special about them. Which is why I'm getting some duncans at some point.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
tighter =/= more saturated. in fact, its kind of the opposite. an OD pedal to use as a clean boost would certainly help, but for now, cut out some bass and boost the mids

Quote by RocknRollRay
i got a marshall mg and a MONSTER TONE out of it by cranking the bass and middle almost all the way, cutting back on the treble a bit, and keeping the presence down. Then I put it through a BOSS sd-1 with lots of tone and little drive.

I SWEAR I get a better tone than most valve state amps ive played.

IN conclusion, get an od pedal because they are totally badass. NO DIGITECH IMO.

obvious troll is obvious
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Jan 8, 2009,
As a final add when youve got new pups and valves etc. Grab an EQ pedal and tweak your tone through that
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson

obvious troll is obvious

****in swear
Why should I come down?
From here, I can see forever.
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. I definitly got a lot of helpful information, aside from the sour fellow who bashed my amp into the ground, ahah. It was expected. Anyways, I don't have a lot of money to spend. I'm getting a new job soon, but even then, I won't be able to completely overhaul the amp.

I think my first priority is going to be changing my pickups. I've been looking up everything from EMGs to blackouts and several other fairly high output pickups for metal playing. Is it worth upgrading the pickups in the Epi LP standard? It costs about 200 to get a EMG 81, 85 (or 60?) set.. Would I have to completely rewire my guitar since it has passive stocks in it? Blah. And do you guys think thats a good approach to improve things?

BTW, I've messed with the EQ more, and I'm getting better at it. Its sounding more and more solid.

Hm, and I may pull two tubes out also. Just so the first two I can sort of mess around with and test different biases on them, and if I **** up, I can replace them with a different two. You take one tube from each side right? Not two in a row?
Last edited by Watterboy at Jan 9, 2009,
Well... I'd say Try some Duncan Full Shreds or Distortions.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Watterboy

Hm, and I may pull two tubes out also. Just so the first two I can sort of mess around with and test different biases on them, and if I **** up, I can replace them with a different two. You take one tube from each side right? Not two in a row?

usually, but you might want to check with BeerChurch in teh Bugera User Militia thread.