So, I need new preamp tubes and the guy i'm working with who's helping clean and re sauder(sp) Things on my 6505 has sovtek 12ax7LPS and has agreed to sell them to me for 50 dollars. Now I know thats a great price for these tubes considering I need 5 of them and its 27 bucks for a matched pair.. or 11 for 1. What im concerned with is, are these tubes going to match up to the previous JJ Ecc83's that were in the amp? The JJ's sounded great nice and warm and a great crunch. Now i've seen a couple reviews on the sovtek's and unfortunately they were not too great..

Does anyone have any thoughts on the sovtek 12ax7LPS?

I know that the long plate helps disappaite (sp) Heat better, but from what i've read on the reviews of the sound, it doesn't sound too promising.. I need UG's elite thoughts on this! haha, but seriously....
My Gear:
Gibson Flying V (active Emg's 81, 85)
Peavey 6505 Amp

Avatar Cab /w Vintage 30's / G12H-30's
Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer
Roland Cube 60
when it comes to handling the most important part of where your guitars tone comes from you should do the best thing for the amp. If you liked the JJ ecc83`s then i suggest you stick with them even if it means dishing out a couple extra bucks.
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by funkymonkz
when it comes to handling the most important part of where your guitars tone comes from you should do the best thing for the amp. If you liked the JJ ecc83`s then i suggest you stick with them even if it means dishing out a couple extra bucks.

I agree, I think that's what im going to do. Unfortunately I did not put the JJ's in, they we're put there by the previous owner, and only 4 out of 5 we're the ecc 83's. The other was the original stock 12ax7 harmonix tube that comes with a 6505. I unfortunately just now noticed this when my tubes need to be replaced.. .

But yeah I agree thanks alot.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505 Amp

Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Roland Cube 60
Sovteks sound a lot different than JJs.
Just stick with JJs.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The long plates in the Sovtek LPS do indeed dissipate heat better, however the larger surface area makes them more likely to pick up unwanted microphonics. It's not the best tube to use in a V1 position, however it's generally fine in the other positions. Also, you don't need matched tubes for the preamp. It's kind of a waste.

I'd get one really low noise tube for the V1 (one of those small plate, gold pin JJ's or Tung Sol's), and then fill out the rest of them with something less expensive.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
You're sticking in very high gain valves in a 5150? :s

The amp has a boatload of gain already. If you're not using the gain control on 10, then I suggest running low noise valves instead. Most high gain amps come with low noise valves in V1 and V2.
The Sovtek LPS is a low noise, high gain preamp tube. (Research it)
They work well in all positions, except in amps that have a cathode follower stage (Research it)
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
The Sovtek LPS is a low noise, high gain preamp tube. (Research it)
They work well in all positions, except in amps that have a cathode follower stage (Research it)

^This.

The LPS come stock in Bogners (Uber and XTC at least) - except the cathode follower stages - which are 9th gen Chinese. I think the LPS sound great in those amps.

DO NOT put the LPS in the cathode follower stages of your amp. You could fry it because the tubes can't handle it. Use JJs or Chinese or whatever in those stages. If you don't know which stages are the cathode followers in your amp - either find out or don't use the LPS.
Honestly what was in there was 4 JJ's and one original electro-harmonix 12ax7 tube.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505 Amp

Schecter Damien-6
ISP Decimator
Vox Wah Pedal
Roland Cube 60
I personally hate Sovteks. I think they are rather harsh and brittle. If I were you' I'd go..

Tung Sol V1-->JJ 12AX7 V2-->JJ 12AX7 V3---EH 12AX7 V4-->JAN Phillips 12AT7 V5

Tung Sol in V1 never fails. The jj's tame the amps treble a bit, the EH are fine effects loop buffers, and 12AT7 are amazing PIs.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
I personally hate Sovteks. I think they are rather harsh and brittle. If I were you' I'd go..

Tung Sol V1-->JJ 12AX7 V2-->JJ 12AX7 V3---EH 12AX7 V4-->JAN Phillips 12AT7 V5

Tung Sol in V1 never fails. The jj's tame the amps treble a bit, the EH are fine effects loop buffers, and 12AT7 are amazing PIs.
I agree with your suggestions, however I did not like the Tungsol I tried in my JSX's V1. It was a little noisy and a bit harsh sounding IMO. I also don't like Sovtek preamp tubes, but the LPS is a totally different animal. Better construction, better tone and very low noise.
I currently run a JJ's in V1 & V2, an EH in V3 and an EH Gold Pin in the PI.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I agree with your suggestions, however I did not like the Tungsol I tried in my JSX's V1. It was a little noisy and a bit harsh sounding IMO. I also don't like Sovtek preamp tubes, but the LPS is a totally different animal. Better construction, better tone and very low noise.
I currently run a JJ's in V1 & V2, an EH in V3 and an EH Gold Pin in the PI.

I can see where you're coming from with the Tung Sol thing, I've noticed they shine the best in dark sounding amps, which I don't really consider the JSX to be.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups