I have a Squier Jagmaster and I've been thinking about upgrading the stock Duncan Designed pickups to some higher output GFS pups, maybe a PAF in the neck and a crunchy PAT in the bridge.

I'd like to add coil splitters, but is this possible (or smart) if my guitar only has 1 volume and 1 tone pot?

What are my options for either coil splitting/tapping or possibly installing a humbucker-sized P90 in the neck assuming that I only have one volume and one tone pot to work with, along with a 3-way switch?

"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
you could get some push/pull pots.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Just make sure you get pickups with 4 conductor leads and use a push/pull pot.
Yeah, I was planning to use push/pull pots, but my question is this: let's say I'm using the neck pup as a single coil but the bridge as a humbucker. How will the volume and tone pots sound if the 2 pups are mis-matched?

If a 500K pot is "split", is it still 500K or is it 250K? If I do this, does it mean that I should always keep both pups either as single coils or as humbuckers?
Quote by K!!LsWiTcH
at that point shudnt u just buy a better guitar?

No. I can get the new pups for $50 and 2 new pots for under $20. A new 3-way switch and a new 1/4" jack are under $10.

Why would I spend $500 on a new guitar when I can upgrade a perfectly good Jagmaster for $80?
if you wanted to you could go the dpdt switch route. it would be easy to do on that guitar since it has a pickguard that can be easily modded for a few extra holes.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Now I'm thinking that an HB-sized P90 in the neck along and a coil tapped HB in the bridge wired to a single push/pull pot might be interesting.

If I did this, I'd have a poor man's version of a coil tapped Gibson BFG!