I have an Affinity Squier and a MG30DFX.
Should I upgrade to a Peavey Classic 30 first or a Fender Standard Strat?
New amp for sure
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by Lethal Dosage
New amp for sure

+1

You will sound a lot better once you get rid of the MG.
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Get the amp. The standard mexican strat won't be much of an upgrade from the squire. But an upgrade from a MG30DFX to a peavey classic 30 will definitely improve your sound. Or get a blues jr (awesome blues amp)
Well, I need to be able to have my cleans heard over my drummer during practice, and everyone says that the Blues Jr. wont be able to do it.
So that's why I'm going for the Classic 30.
New amp for sure,it'll make a world of difference in your sound.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Classic 30 for sure.
New guitar may improve your playing a bit, but a new amp will make you sound way better than you ever good through the MG.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Quote by Greenwood991
Classic 30 for sure.
New guitar may improve your playing a bit, but a new amp will make you sound way better than you ever good through the MG.

Alright, hopefully I can save enough this year so I can get my 09 Strat before the year ends lol.
if you're sure you're going to upgrade both (and it won't be too long a wait between them), then it doesn't really matter too much, go with your gut. if you hate how your guitar plays, get a new guitar, if you hate how it sounds, get the amp (first).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you're sure you're going to upgrade both (and it won't be too long a wait between them), then it doesn't really matter too much, go with your gut. if you hate how your guitar plays, get a new guitar, if you hate how it sounds, get the amp (first).

I won't be able to upgrade them both at the same time.
It'll be a wait since I have to save up money for both.
how much of a wait?

still, i think it really depends on which you currently prefer, i think my advice of "go with your gut. if you hate how your guitar plays, get a new guitar, if you hate how it sounds, get the amp (first)" is pretty sound anyway... as long as it's not a wait of 10 years or something like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm usually the advocate of the best guitar you can afford, but in this case....

Peavey Delta Blues.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58

Peavey Delta Blues.

Seconded is you can stand your guitar for a while. Affinity's aren't as bad as some other entry level models so if you don't hate it, stick it out for a while. Also, buy used, the Classic 30 or DB's go for around $350/375.
I would say to go with the amp if you gig. If you want, you could put some GFS pickups in the Strat you have, i hear they're good. The pups in my afinity strat are a little weak, and if i didnt replace it (I didnt like the feel of the neck much), i would get new pickups.
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158