Okay, so I have been attempting to play either bass, or guitar for the past like year now. I have been failing miserably simply because I had a lacking amount of dedication, and time.

So, because I am really interested in learning right now -- and I want to learn the most efficent way possible I will ask you guys.

I just seem to think that Ultimate Guitar is perfect. FOR TABS. However, their beginer lessons are simply mediocer. I don't think they're ment for anything more then a little tiny bit of 'help.'

So my question is --

1. What is a very decent online website (FREE, no credit card bull****.) that can basically give me decent lessons, tips, etc to learn guitar. However, that will also show me good technique.

2. ^ Also is there a better method than online? (I'd rather not spend money on lessons.)

(Also, as a quick side-question how do I fix a sort of 'BAD technique')
I sort of do the thing where everytime I move my fingers I throw my other fingers very high above the fretboard which I know is VERY bad because you want to keep your fingers as close as possible for quick and accurate fretting. Is there anyway to break this?

(I just got done reading the FAQ, rules, etc and I don't believe I have broken any. My apologies in advanced.)
Save up your money and spend it on lessons. I know, I know, Jimi Hendrix, Dimebag, all those guys were self-taught, but go get some lessons, at least for awhile to get the basics. Once you learn some basic technique and learn how to practice, then maybe you can go mess around with online lessons, but until then, a real-live (good) instructor is the best way to go.
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
As far as bad technique. Work on good technique. Its just like working on regular technique.

And some of these have free so im adding them in the list. So dont yell at me for them saying to pay up for other ones.

justinguitar.com
http://www.ivideosongs.com/
http://guitar.about.com/library/blbeginnerguitardirectory.htm
http://www.guitarnoise.com/easy/
http://www.learnhowtoplayguitar.com/

Yeah there are others but i dont know what they are right now.
Quote by ninjafingers
Save up your money and spend it on lessons. I know, I know, Jimi Hendrix, Dimebag, all those guys were self-taught, but go get some lessons, at least for awhile to get the basics. Once you learn some basic technique and learn how to practice, then maybe you can go mess around with online lessons, but until then, a real-live (good) instructor is the best way to go.

Would a friend whose been playing for years, "Eddievanzant" on here, be a worthwhile 'lesson.' Since he doesn't charge? The problem is he expalins everything like in HIGH Music Theory. it's hard to get him to just teach me the basics.
Might be worth a shot, cuz the nice thing about having a teacher is that if you don't understand something, they can always explain it better until you do. The main thing I would say you should try to learn is just basic technique, how to position your hands, how to hold your pick, etc., how to practice what you need to so you can learn what you want to, and maybe just some realy basic theory. If you learn that stuff really well, you should be able to learn whatever else you want to on your own.
My Gear:
Hagstrom HIIN
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
well, first of all, no pain no gain.. you're gonna have to spend money if you seriously get into guitar... one thing ive noticed with people failing at guitar is that they dont use a metronome.. also, focus on exercises. songs are good for showing off, but generally, exercises really show improvement in playing..
and about the finger thing, it'll all get better over time. go at a slow pace with your metronome and do this:
|--------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4------------|
|----------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------------------|
|------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------|
|--------------------1-2-3-4------------------------------------------|
|----------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------|
|1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------2-3-4-5---|
etc. HOLDING THE FINGERS DOWN, like after the first 1-2-3-4, when you keep you're first finger down on the next string, hold the other 3 where they were.. very helpful.
1997 Ibanez RG7620
Modded Starcaster by Fender

Boss GT10
Dunlop Mister Crybaby Wah

Line 6 Spider III 30
Tabs are all you need to learn to play guitar. If you can read tabs, all that's missing from the equation is practice.

As for sites to visit, I've seen this one touted a few times around here: http://www.justinguitar.com/ I don't care much for it, but you might like it.
I can read tabs just fine and that helped me play a few easy songs but what I lacked was practice and www.justinguitar.com helped me with that by showing what to practice and how. I recommend it.

But I know nothing.
Get lessons (from a decent teacher) if you can - it makes a HUGE difference.
Quote by anUnknownBeing
Okay, so I have been attempting to play either bass, or guitar for the past like year now. I have been failing miserably simply because I had a lacking amount of dedication, and time.

That line right there pretty much summed it up for me. If I try to understand physics, but only spend 5minutes a week reading...well, it's pretty obvious how long it will take me to get it.

So if you NOW have the time to dedicate to learning - go back to what you were taught last time around, when ya didnt have time to pay much attention to it...and start over.

Chances are good you were taught a C chord, D chord, strumming and so on... now it's just a matter of doing what ya didnt do last time: Practice...and often.
Quote by XahXhaX
Tabs are all you need to learn to play guitar. If you can read tabs, all that's missing from the equation is practice.

You sir, are very wrong. Besides the fact that the majority of tabs are not 100% accurate, and someone who hasn't been playing for very long isn't gonna know how to fix them, you really don't learn that much from tabs. You pick a tab, you learn it, whoopdi freakin doo. You don't know anything about what key the song is in, what the chords are (unless you learned them too, but even if you did you still don't know what they mean) or even what notes you're actually playing. If you had a teacher to sit and explain all this to you, you might learn something, but saying that you can just print off tabs and practice them to learn how to play guitar is like saying you could take a pro football team's playbook, go screw around with it in your backyard for a while, and know how to play football.
My Gear:
Hagstrom HIIN
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Go to vanderbilly.com you have to join but it is free and they have proper lessons and slow it down for you, also, you don't need lessons, I have got friends that have been playing guitar (with lessons) for like 4 or 5 years, I have been playing for 2 and a bit (self taught) and am already much better than them, admittedly I do practice for at least 4 hours a day, but if you are commited then teach yourself. The problem with lessons is that although at first you learn quickly, after a while you end up just copying your teachers style. I have sort of made my own style up now. As for the problem you mentioned, only practice will help. Also, learn how to do the pentatonic and the blues scale early on as they are the basis for most solos and you can inmprovise your own with them.
Good luck.
it depends on whether or not you just want to play guitar, or want to UNDERSTAND guitar....

i've been playing for four months and am 10x the "guitarist" that any of my friends and several cousins are who have been taking lessons for years--and this is simply because i WANT to...you can take all the lessons in the world but if dont want to learn then you won't. they might know a lot more about what they're actually doing than i do, but they can't attempt to keep up with me playing. sit down, take your time, read tabs, learn chords, and practice your a$$ off and you'll be amazed at how fast you catch on