Currently I am using ableton live and I like the recording ability but I cannot seem to be able to take a riff that I played and copy it to another part of the song or make it infinitely loop and that is maddening. It has like a million special effects but the thing you really need is extremely hard to access. Can anyone tell me how to do this or recommend a good DAW software?
Cakewalk Sonar is great i have sonar 8, but sonar 7 is probably just fine
Audacity for very simple recording/looping stuff

Fruity Loops for noobs

Pro Tools (what Vai uses) for complex stuff, electronica and filthy audiophiles.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I cannot seem to be able to take a riff that I played and copy it to another part of the song or make it infinitely loop and that is maddening.
Surely you can right-click on the recorded clip and select 'copy' then right-click somewhere else and select 'paste'? As for looping, at the top (maybe bottom) of the main window thingie should be a time-bar. Click and drag the mouse over the area you want to loop, then press loop (should be near the play button). You might have to press play after you've activated loop.

That sort of interface is common to every DAW I've used (including ableton live though I can't remember it clearly).

I'm pretty sure Pro Tools is meant to be the best.
Cubase is also very good.
Reaper is free and does more than you'll ever need, and isn't too complicated.
I don't like Fruity Loops much. Same for Audacity.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Pro Tools isn't really the best, just the accepted industry standard and has an easy learning curve. Logic Pro is much more complex and intricate, but there is a variety of other programs that work just as well.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
There's no best.

THe most high quality tunes still only use like 20% max of a programma, so you can't say which is best.

You can categorize it however.

Also it depends, you can have super expensive programs, but that's just 1 part of it.

If you have ****ty mics +placement, ****ty gear or amps, ****ty cables and no knowledge of producing it doesn't matter what program you use.

Likewise, I have seen people get amazing sounds of fruity loops.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
If I was to write electronic music with very little recorded stuff, what should I use? Is there something better than FL, but with a notation editor?
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Surely you can right-click on the recorded clip and select 'copy' then right-click somewhere else and select 'paste'? As for looping, at the top (maybe bottom) of the main window thingie should be a time-bar. Click and drag the mouse over the area you want to loop, then press loop (should be near the play button). You might have to press play after you've activated loop.

Nope. You'd think there'd be a simple way to perform it as such, but to no avail. And it is very disheartening that it's not a revolutionary idea and I can't seem to access it but I can access pitch bending and other functions.
Quote by demonofthenight
If I was to write electronic music with very little recorded stuff, what should I use? Is there something better than FL, but with a notation editor?

Most electronic artists use Midi controllers(Which is the standard), and the notation way in FL is seen as "kiddie".

You basically have to learn keys + buy midi controller, to really get most out of electronic music (software)

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
But I don't have money to spend

Ahhh, I've been writing things in guitar-pro, getting it perfect (notation wise) and then exporting/importing it into FL and adding effects
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Quote by demonofthenight
But I don't have money to spend

Ahhh, I've been writing things in guitar-pro, getting it perfect (notation wise) and then exporting/importing it into FL and adding effects

save up money, you can get a cheap midi keyboard for under 100 bucks.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by walkingmacaroni
Currently I am using ableton live and I like the recording ability but I cannot seem to be able to take a riff that I played and copy it to another part of the song or make it infinitely loop and that is maddening.

WHAT!?

Abeleton Live IS Loop-Based! It has one of the BEST interfaces for doing just what
you're asking. I don't think it would be an understatement to say the program is
built from a fundamental level around doing EXACTLY what you're asking.

Did you read or do any of the tutorials?

If you want something really dumbed down, you might try Riffworks (you can get it
packaged with a Guitar Port).

FWIW: Abeleton Live is absolutely awesome for home recording. I used to use
ACID (also loop-based) for mixing because it's recording is weak, but Live does
everything ACID does, but then also has a tremendous recording interface and
"realtime" song construction ability. Great product.
Quote by edg

FWIW: Abeleton Live is absolutely awesome for home recording. I used to use
ACID (also loop-based) for mixing because it's recording is weak, but Live does
everything ACID does, but then also has a tremendous recording interface and
"realtime" song construction ability. Great product.

I Might check it out, cause I'm still experimenting with Daw's and such.

Few questions.

Is midi input only by midi controller?

Does it support line in recording (non midi)and realtime editing?

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Edg, you are right. I had to go to view and open up the arrangement boxes. Either way, I really appreciate you guys. Thanks for the help.
Quote by xxdarrenxx

Is midi input only by midi controller?

Does it support line in recording (non midi)and realtime editing?

It also supports Midi input from the computer keyboard (the middle and top rows
act like 1 octave of the white and black keys on a piano). Of course, you can also
input via just adding notes in the Midi clip editor.

Absolutely supports audio in. That's why I use it. You can chop. slice, dice, stretch
or whatever, the original waveforms. It really works as well with audio as it does
with MIDI.

I'm pretty sure you can just download it and try it out. It either time's out until you
buy it, or just runs in demo mode until you enter the unlock codes.

The coolest part is it has this sort of DJ interface for making songs. You just record
your all your audio parts as single shots or loops, along with MIDI parts. Then
you just start launching them. It handles all the launches on the correct beat or
measure. It also has the usual "track" interface. You can edit back & forth between
the two with whatever is easiest for you.
Quote by edg
It also supports Midi input from the computer keyboard (the middle and top rows
act like 1 octave of the white and black keys on a piano). Of course, you can also
input via just adding notes in the Midi clip editor.

Absolutely supports audio in. That's why I use it. You can chop. slice, dice, stretch
or whatever, the original waveforms. It really works as well with audio as it does
with MIDI.

I'm pretty sure you can just download it and try it out. It either time's out until you
buy it, or just runs in demo mode until you enter the unlock codes.

The coolest part is it has this sort of DJ interface for making songs. You just record
your all your audio parts as single shots or loops, along with MIDI parts. Then
you just start launching them. It handles all the launches on the correct beat or
measure. It also has the usual "track" interface. You can edit back & forth between
the two with whatever is easiest for you.

Tyvm, I will check it out tomorrow.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??