I've decided this year to try and excersize and gain some weight. I'm kind of tired of being really skinny. I need some tips and advice on how to do this the best way. I'm 6'0ft tall and 130lbs and I've been fairly skinny my whole life. I never gain weight despite the fact that I'm always eating. I also find conventional excersizing extremely boring so any creative ideas would be awesome. Thanks
Get a friend and go to the gym. Working out is so much more pleasureable while your having fun with a friend doing it with you.
Conventional exercising is extremely boring but it's the only way to gain any muscle. I recommend taking friends along when you work out or some music. But the way I see it, it's easier to gain muscle when you're skinnier. At least you don't have to lose weight first. Going in the opposite direction though just takes some potatoes, quite a bit of meat, and not holding back on the fruit, for sure.
I'm in the same boat! i'm just packing my self full of protein and going to the gym 3 times a week. After a month or two you'll notice a small increase in muscle, which will spur you on even more! Good luck.
Quote by n to the k
^ you are wise

Quote by Maus24
There's been sooo many threads done on this; I don't even wanna hear that you used the searchbar. Staring at it and giggling does not count.
The worlds fu cked up and we lit the fuse, its all used up what you gonna do?
Powerlift every other day. Work out every muscle 2-3 times a week total. 3 sets, 6-10 reps per exercise.

Take in tons of protein (especially post workout) and take in consistent amounts of carbs and fats throughout the day. Sleep plenty. Eat, eat, and eat as much as possible. (5-7 meals a day.)

If you don't eat and sleep right, your size and weight gains won't be consistent with strength gains.

(bodybuilding thread for way more in depth and useful answers.)
heh do what I do, play drums
Dream Theater FTW!!

Gear:
Ibanez S7320 7-string
Tama Superstar 8 pc. drum set
Hey man. I'm 5'11 and 120lbs. Same situation.

What I do is I set goals for myself. When I had xbox live, I often would do 5 curls whenever I was killed in Halo 2. No more boring ****, and its a good way to get your anger out.

Seriously give it a try, do 5 curls whenever you are killed in a FPS.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
i'm having the same prob. 5'8" and about 120 lbs

been taking a carbohydrate/protein blend (approx. 1000 calories and 50 grams of protein per serving) and have been working out and going about my daily routine.

haven't gained a bit. getting a bit more muscle.. but any weight i gain seemed to get burned off when i go to sleep :s
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
make sure you actually know how to work out... aka dont wimp out. Too many times i see people doing weight that doesnt max out their muscles. IF you can still lift some more then keep going. Basicially you stop when you physically cant do any more. this should be achieve in 2-3 sets of 6-10 reps. I prefer 3 sets of 5 -7. Never lift so much you don't have good form. go to exrx.net to learn good excercies and good form. Always take a break of 30 sec to a min before each set. Push your self to achieve a new level ever session or everother session such as 5 pounds more or a few more reps. Stretch. And work your way up, you wont be able to a do alot at first and that is ok.

NEVER use a machine always use free weights, and with that a spotter.

and dont give up.
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
About 40 push ups a day should be good for your arms??

If you can do 40 then just add 10 more everyday.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by Kivarenn82

haven't gained a bit. getting a bit more muscle.. but any weight i gain seemed to get burned off when i go to sleep :s

Your weight will vary throughout the day as significantly as 10 pounds. 2-4 hours into sleep is when HGH kicks in and your body starts seriously building your muscles up.

Gaining 2 pounds of muscle a week is as ideal as it gets, pretty much. Don't expect anything near that if all you do is the occasional push-up or curl, you need to stress your major muscles with low reps, high weight, and then let them recover correctly. (This means learning how to properly deadlift, squat, bench, etc.)

Put some research into what is right for your body, be consistent, and give yourself a bunch of time to grow and you'll see results. If getting ripped was easy as hell, it wouldn't be as admired as it is.

Quote by NewsoftheWorld
About 40 push ups a day should be good for your arms??

If you can do 40 then just add 10 more everyday.

Push-ups will hit your triceps and pecs. Widen your stance to hit the pecs harder or narrow it for the triceps.

That being said, doing a million push ups is really just cardio and muscle endurance. If you want to grow but refuse to hit the gym with freeweights, at least weight your push ups instead of raising reps.

Quote by teknotard
make sure you actually know how to work out... aka dont wimp out. Too many times i see people doing weight that doesnt max out their muscles. IF you can still lift some more then keep going. Basicially you stop when you physically cant do any more. this should be achieve in 2-3 sets of 6-10 reps. I prefer 3 sets of 5 -7. Never lift so much you don't have good form. go to exrx.net to learn good excercies and good form. Always take a break of 30 sec to a min before each set. Push your self to achieve a new level ever session or everother session such as 5 pounds more or a few more reps. Stretch. And work your way up, you wont be able to a do alot at first and that is ok.

NEVER use a machine always use free weights, and with that a spotter.

and dont give up.

Truth.

That being said, machines do have a purpose if used right. (Albeit they still won't help growth as much as free weights.)
Last edited by garden of grey at Jan 8, 2009,
i don't consider myself a workout pro, but i do it every other day and get results. what's been said is already really good, but let me ADD that:

your body has a comfortable weight that it prefers, due to genes or whatever, so that's prolly your problem. i know that MY body is comfortable at about a weight of 180 and i'm 5'5". i was under that a couple years ago but it only lasted for a couple years, then as soon as i stopped working out and running almost everyday, i gained weight like crazy in the next year. granted i also stopped lifting weights and running to once or less a week avg. compared to the 5 times a week of before.

all i'm trying to say is that your body knows what it's comfortable weight is, and even if you gain a ton or lose a ton, eventually it'll get it back around that weight when you stop whatever diet you go on. though when you hit your 30s or so, i suppose that's a DIFFERENT situation with your body. more work for same results.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
Garden of Grey: thanks for the info bud gaining muscle seems to be pretty easy. its just gaining Mass and weight is what the tough part is. I've been pretty slim my whole life, as well as pretty active. i'm not out to get really ripped or huge or anything since i tone up fairly easily.

but putting on weight is a difficult thing for me to do. pretty much all of my friends that i haven't seen for a few years have all put on at least 25 lbs lol. I stay pretty well the same xD
it's just your metablosim man. you gotta fatten up haha. my room mate is a really thin indian type guy, and he's been taking some GNC Mass Gainer and it worked last time i checked. he only started taking it in november, then we had break in early december, so he's only had a short time on it. but i know it only took two weeks for him to gain 10 lbs.

your body may react less or more directly with something like that, only your body will tell.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
If you're that skinny, you're going to fight an uphill genetic battle and probably lose. I've spent a lot of time in the gym with skinny guys that just couldn't put on any muscle no matter how good their program is. Yeah, anyone can bulk up, but a 6" guy starting at 130 is never going to be "not scrawny."
a lot of people figure it is genetics and metabolism for me. I usually eat healthy, but even when i binge on food like.. burgers and fries. still nothing. i suppose i shouldn't complain, i don't look completely scrawny at least. but i still wouldn't mind a little "oomph" ya know?

haha
Whey protein and a work out schedule, heavy weights 10-12 reps
Nothing of me is original. I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known.

¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨
General Bodybuilding and Nutrition thread...

NAO
Quote by RoamingConflict
This one dream involved me, one random girl, midgets and a pie.

...and midgets ended up f*cking her. I got the pie.

you dont have to been buff to be strong look at my profile picture, no one though that i would be able to do it, i jsut tried it one day when i was bored and mu mtook a photo haha i wish i had muscle but i just cant get it, i think im stronger then i look though.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Hey man. I'm 5'11 and 120lbs. Same situation.

What I do is I set goals for myself. When I had xbox live, I often would do 5 curls whenever I was killed in Halo 2. No more boring ****, and its a good way to get your anger out.

Seriously give it a try, do 5 curls whenever you are killed in a FPS.

Seriously whats a curl?
return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle