I got a Squier Strat :P I randomly get weird static noise when I use the switch or fiddle with knobs. What's wrong with it? Do i need new pickups, switch, etc?
single coil pickups like you have on your squier are naturally noisy but getting better ones would fix it. The ones you have will sound better if you put the switch on the 2nd position down or the 2nd to last position
Guitars
Godin Velocity w/ Schaller locking tuners
Ibanez RG7321 w/ Dimarzio Crunchlab & Liquifire
Seagull Coastline S6 Burst GT QI
Random Ibanez Bass

Gear
Blackstar HT-5 Head
Peavey Valveking 112
Haha.. I'm a newb to the world of pickups. I've been playing for three years. When I say there's a static noise it's REALLY bad. Like sometimes I'll play a chord and it'll be like KRRRK. It's so bad you might not even hear the chord sometimes. Then, I have to turn the knob or move the switch to make it go back to normal. Thanks though... haha

Would it even be worth upgrading the pickups considering it's three years old?
Sounds like you might have a dodgy connection or a dry joint in there somewhere. Your local guitar shop can probably fix it for ya quickly and for pretty cheap. Replacing the pickups is really up to you, if you like the guitar and plan on keeping it for a while then it might be a good option, if you think you might like to upgrade to a new guitar in the not too distant future I probably wouldn't bother, as I said it's up to you. I know some guys who have done pretty cool mods to squires and other low end guitars, a decent set of pickups and a little tweaking - a graphite nut here, a new set of machine heads there - can net you a pretty cool instrument for not a lot of cash.
I have a squier strat also, it was my first guitar i got about 4 years ago. Its also has that static noise whenever its set to a single pickup. If I set it to 2 pickups its clear. This is because its a cheap guitar, but dont waste money upgrading the pickups alone, I would suggest you just upgrade to a new guitar when you feel your ready.
Quote by DudeitsKevin
I have a squier strat also, it was my first guitar i got about 4 years ago. Its also has that static noise whenever its set to a single pickup. If I set it to 2 pickups its clear. This is because its a cheap guitar, but dont waste money upgrading the pickups alone, I would suggest you just upgrade to a new guitar when you feel your ready.

sorry man, can't agree with you.

I have two cheap guitar and one nice guitar. Nice guitar has more 'static' than the two cheap-os. wanna know why?

I wire them myself, i shield perfectly, with star ground. It's single coils, So you can't totally elliminate the awful 60-Hz hum from your rig forever. A new guitar won't fix a shielding problem, in fact, i beleive this is the most lacking area in most factory guitars. If you take the squier, do a fret job, new nut, new machines, new bridge, wire it up correctly, new pickups, you're looking at a pretty decent guitar.

TS, if you want to get rid of that noise you hear, take it to a shop and have them look over the wiring and shield the guitar. Or, if you prefer to do it yourself, learn how!
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...