Page 1 of 2
well i have an ibanez rg2550z guitar. im looking for that 90's grunge sound (nirvana, pearl jam etc..) could you recommened me some amps, pickups and pedals that will give me this tone. my max for the amp would be $1600 aus dollars. and the pedals and pickups cost dosent matter
FOR SALE: MESA BOOGIE STUDIO PREAMP
Ship Worldwide, Message me for details.
Well what amp do you have right now? Your guitar isn't ideal for grunge, but it's good enough. You should look for a few fuzz pedals (fuzz face, big muff)/distortion pedals (boss was pretty big with grunge).
2007 American Deluxe Strat
Crate Palomino V32 - 1x12
Boss DS-1
Crybaby Wah
Maxon OD-808
right now i just have a vox solid state amp cnt remeber the model
think its 15w with reverb some crappy one lol.
well nirvana and pearl jam were very idfferent bands. most grunge bands were very different.
for early nirvana, i would go with an old SF fender, and a boss DS1 or the DS2 (is that what its called.)
pearl jam would be best to have something like a classic 30.
i dont know what those cost in Aus.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
dosent any guitar suite any style u ust need the right pickups pedals and stuff. cause my ibanez has the same woods as kurt had on his mustang and jaguar(basswood body, maple neck)
welli want a more nirvana sound
Quote by Swap-Meet
uhhhhhh

Pearl Jam = Les Pauls + marshals

Nirvana = Jaguars & Mustangs + Fenders/messas

They're tones aren't even close..

nirvana actually used marshall cabs aswell. kurts favourite speaker was the vintage 30
Last edited by nathan549 at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by Swap-Meet
Mustang & Jags = alder body + maple neck...

they came in basswood aswell, and kurts jag-stang was basswood so i figure he would have stuck to basswood mustangs and jags
Quote by nathan549
nirvana actually used marshall cabs aswell. kurts favourite speaker was the classic 30

The cab doesn't effect tone nearly as much as the head....
You should've just quoted Kurtsequpment.com on that one.

Anyways

Kurt used one of the mark (III, or IV...can't remember) heads
he also used a fender twin reverb (in utero, i beleive) and I think he had a vox & peavey at some point.

he used a DS-1 & DS-2, an EHX Small Clone, and a EHX Poly Chorus mostly.
Quote by Swap-Meet
The cab doesn't effect tone nearly as much as the head....
You should've just quoted Kurtsequpment.com on that one.

Anyways

Kurt used one of the mark (III, or IV...can't remember) heads
he also used a fender twin reverb (in utero, i beleive) and I think he had a vox & peavey at some point.

he used a DS-1 & DS-2, an EHX Small Clone, and a EHX Poly Chorus mostly.

ok thanks for that and what about pickups?? would any pickup work cause of the pedals/amp?
Quote by nathan549
they came in basswood aswell, and kurts jag-stang was basswood so i figure he would have stuck to basswood mustangs and jags

The majority of Jaguars are alder.

The majority of mustangs were alder....the 72 RI and the 69 RI are the only ones i know of that are basswood...i think some are made of ash & mahogony too.

Kurt hated the jag-stang.
how did kurt hate it he created it. they said the first time aroudn he didnt like it so he sent it bak they made some changes and he loved it :S
Quote by nathan549
ok thanks for that and what about pickups?? would any pickup work cause of the pedals/amp?

JB in the bridge...on his jaguar he taped the switches to the bridge position...but he did have a dimarizo PAF in the neck, and on his mustang he also had a JB, and a texas special (single coil) in the neck.
and kurt used a 69 mustang
jagstang

The guitar features a Mustang-style short-scale
neck on a body that borrows from both designs.
There's a DiMarzio humbucking pickup at the bridge,
and a Texas Special single coil at the neck, tilted at
the same angle as on a Mustang. Cobain was quite
satisfied with the guitar. "'Ever since I started
playing, I've always liked certain things about certain
guitars but could never find the perfect mix of
everything I was looking for. The Jag-stang is the
closest thing I know
. And I like the idea of having a
quality instrument on the market with no
preconceived notions attached. In a way, it's perfect
for me to attach my name to the Jag-stang, in that
I'm the anti-guitar hero - I can barely play the things
myself'
Quote by Swap-Meet
yeah...I'm sure the milion dollar rockstar only had 1 of his favourite guitars.

Another custom collaboration was with Fender, and was again based on the Mustang. It was planned in February 1993, right before recording "In Utero" (57). Before presenting two articles on it, take note of this. Earnie is skeptical of Fender's A&R people's quotes. He feels Kurt would never endorse the Jag-stang as he seems to in various quotes Fender claims. Earnie says he doubts Kurt had any intentions of the Jag-stang ever being mass-produced. "I believe he wanted a custom made guitar from Fender and that was it. After Kurt's death, Fender was given the go ahead to mass produce these and they sold a lot of them" (59). Read the section after these articles for more of Earnie's thoughts on this guitar.

- kurtsequipment.com

"The resulting instrument has an alder body, plus a 24-inch
scale maple neck with a rosewood fretboard and vintage-style
fretwire. At Cobain's request, Brooks used stock Mustang
hardware from Japan, where the guitars are still produced (32)
(according to Nirvana guitar tech Earnie Bailey, the bridge
was later changed to a Tune-O-Matic (41)). The neck pickup
is a single-coil Texas Special, which was originally designed as
a bridge pickup for Fender's Stevie Ray Vaughan model. The
bridge pickup is a Dimarzio H-3 Humbucker."

Clearly the production model and the actual custom guitar were different.
well all the info is on kurtsequipment, it seems to me that he did like the jag-stang just didnt want to mass produce it, so he was the onli one to have one
also, I think the competition mustangs (the 69's kurt used) were alder.

Quote by nathan549
well all the info is on kurtsequipment, it seems to me that he did like the jag-stang just didnt want to mass produce it, so he was the onli one to have one

he means that fender stretched the truth with those quotes...
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Jan 8, 2009,
well for nirvana just do this:
1. create a lot of feedback, i mean nasty feedback
2. smash the guitar against the wall
3. do a lot of heroin
4. shoot yourself

nah if i were you, i would try to go for something different, his tones were pretty bad, just a boss ds-1 or ds-2 could pull it off
i've heard semi-good things about the digitech grunge pedal as well?

pearl jam's tone is good, i would go after that more, a classic 30 would work nicely

alice in chains, well jerry used bogners and such, really boutique stuff, hard to achieve

soundgarden- well i read that chris and kim used dual rec's

overall i think you'll want to do some more tone searching, as those 4 grunge tones (btw the 4 major grunge bands, i guess theirs stp and others but i'm too lazy) are very very different from each other
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
Quote by Swap-Meet
also, I think the competition mustangs (the 69's kurt used) were alder.

he means that fender stretched the truth with those quotes...

oh ok. do u know for certain that the 69 mustang was alder or do u just think? cause im not really sure either. but either way theres no real big difference between basswood and alder
oh is it? i must be thinking of something else
so do you any good pickup combos for grunge?? i read that kurt had a super distortion in the bridge and a dimarzio paf (dnt know wat model didnt say) in the neck in his jaguar. any other pickup combos for grunge??? talking swap-meet cause you seem to know what your talking about so id take you oppinion
Last edited by nathan549 at Jan 8, 2009,
i was thinking paf pro in the neck with a tonezone in the bridge and a super distortion s in the middle??
well my youtube is stuffed ATM, would the MI Audio Crunch Box give me that dirty grunge sound??
If you want the Nirvana sound for $1600AUD:
-Amp: Get any used Fender amp. (the HRD at the bottom) would be a great deal. Keep it on clean.

-Pedals: If you want the Bleach/Nevermind tone, get a Boss DS-1 or DS-2. If you're after the In Utero sound, then get a Tech21 Sansamp; they were Kurt's main distortion pedal during that period. Also an EHX Small Clone would be good, or a Modtone Aqua Chorus. Kurt never used them, but they sound beautiful; better than the Small Clone IMO.

-Guitar: Seriously, don't fuss too much about the guitar. Any alder bodied guitar with a bridge humbucker will be OK for Nirvana type tones. My mate's cousin plays guitar in a Nirvana tribute band; he uses a Squier Strat with a DiMarzio Super Distortion (the bridge pup Kurt used) because Mustangs and Jags are so damn expensive these days.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by nathan549
well my youtube is stuffed ATM, would the MI Audio Crunch Box give me that dirty grunge sound??

Not really. I used to own one, and I found that it was better at that cranked Marshall type crunch tone than grunge sounds, so I sold it.
An MI Audio GI Fuzz might be worth looking into though.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by nathan549
i was thinking paf pro in the neck with a tonezone in the bridge and a super distortion s in the middle??

Terrible choice, those are shred pickups through and through.

In all honesty pickups don't matter an awful lot - you just want an overdriven tube amp with distortion layered over the top, a DS1 or Proco Rat would both do the job.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Terrible choice, those are shred pickups through and through.

In all honesty pickups don't matter an awful lot - you just want an overdriven tube amp with distortion layered over the top, a DS1 or Proco Rat would both do the job.

kurt cobain had the paf in the neck and a super distortion in the brodge of his jaguar
Quote by nathan549
so do you any good pickup combos for grunge?? i read that kurt had a super distortion in the bridge and a dimarzio paf (dnt know wat model didnt say) in the neck in his jaguar. any other pickup combos for grunge??? talking swap-meet cause you seem to know what your talking about so id take you oppinion

kurt only use the dimarizo SD before he tried a Seymour Duncan JB.

The JB is what he used for In Utero...Kurts tone was always very different... Do you want a Bleach tone, Nevermind tone, or In Utero tone?

P.S. Mudhoeny grungey punk tone better than Nirvana
Quote by nathan549
how did kurt hate it he created it. they said the first time aroudn he didnt like it so he sent it bak they made some changes and he loved it :S

i thought he never recieved the fiesta red one where they had made the changes he asked for, because they found out he had died just before they were going to ship it to him. It also seems like he rarely played the Jag-Stang, on most of the later footage circulating around he can be seen with a fiesta red or a sonic blue mustang, both with bridge humbuckers installed.

When i went through a nirvana phase i always used a boss DS-2 into a clean tube amp with an EHX small clone chorus, with any cheap sounding guitar. Wasn't a great tone, but it was fairly close to the bleach/nevermind era tone.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Page 1 of 2