Page 1 of 6
5/1/09: Update

The Fall/Winter UofT session is over, which means I have a little less than two months until I head back for a pair of summer courses in July. Amongst other personal endeavours, I’ll be contributing odd articles and reviews now that I can afford the time to do so. What I won’t be working on is a website for this thing.

Allow me to explain…

When I had to pull myself away from this project and other pursuits to focus on my studies, I came back to see that very little if anything has changed. I had planned a website providing I could rely on a steady stream of updates and material, but this hasn’t been the case. The interest is certainly there, but there’s been very little by way of delivery (I don't want to throw away money on nothing). I’m open to the possibility of a paid website for this in the future, but I’m convinced that now is not the time.

We’ll keep with what we have right now, but I’ll at least try to find a better way to index the material by article type, band, genre, etc. Until then, thanks for everything, and a special thanks to A Rolling Stone for keeping the fire alive.

Where we stand at building a website for this thing

Domain name
I'm going to register a domain name sometime this week. The domain name will cost about $10-$15 USD per year. What I don't know yet is what we're actually going to end up calling this project. Once I pick a domain name, we can't change it, so it better be something we won't have any regrets about.

www.classicrockencyclopedia.com is available, so that's probably going to be the most likely option. If you have a better name, I'd love to hear it!

Hosting plan
Hosting plans for this purpose vary. A host is a company that will run the website for us at a monthly rate, making it available to the people on the internet. We (moreover, "I") update the website using FTP (File Transfer Protocol) from my computer. I'll be able to post the information and work most of the necessary coding and scripting.

This is necessary and will cost $5-$10 USD per month depending on the plan we need.

Building a website
This is mostly trial by fire. I'll probably use a template for the first little while. As my knowledge in HTML and CSS expands, I'll tweak and customize it to suit our needs.

If anyone knows someone skilled in the construction and design of websites and would be willing to work with us, I'd greatly appreciate that.

Project Overview and Information

Classic Rock is done. It’s finished, it’s over, and its relics are all working as greeters for Wal-Mart. The time frame between roughly 1960-1984 is ripe for documentation. This project is about writing significant articles and pieces on the glory days of this ancient mystical genre.

The Classic Rock Album Review Project has… well… let’s face it. It’s been stagnating for since as long as I can remember. It’ll occasionally sputter a semblance of life and a new review will be added in a blue moon, but its number has been up for a little while now. Rather than stick a knife in the old girl, I decided to create a Classic Rock blog for the UG-CR community in a bid to resuscitate the project. However to attract more attention and offer encouragement and involvement from the community at large, this UG-CR blog will offer more than just reviews.

I personally hold administrative power over the blog, but BrainDamage, Cptbeefheart, Thefallofman, metalfan#3, and psychodelia, are all contributors since we all know each other fairly well, and have been around UG for a very long time. We’re also the coolest members with wicked fast cars and clean and tested premium hookers. But enough about that…

Virtually any content at all can be posted (reviews, articles, essays, rants, biographies, histories, etc). There are only two conditions you must abide by:

The Golden Rules:
1. Your piece must deal with (or otherwise relate to) classic rock.
2. Your piece must be well written! This entails strong writing, straight facts, and tidy spelling and grammar.

We want participation and we want to involve the community. What we don’t want are half assed ill conceived diatribes made of gibberish and excrement. We’re not going to be stingy and reject your work just because of the odd typo or weak sentence. Part of our responsibility as authors of the blog will be editing your work to make it suitable for public eyes. Just as long as you put the effort into writing it, we’ll handle the rest.

The Team:
Maet -- Specializes in Progressive Rock and theory, as well as writing and editing
- email address: <>
BrainDamage -- Specializes in The Black Crowes, Pink Floyd, bootlegs and testing for steroids
Cptbeefheart -- 100% USDA approved Angus beef
Thefallofman -- Specializes in Bob Dylan and “Rock Roots” [folk music, early rhythm & blues]
metalfan#3 -- Specializes in Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, and live music in general
psychodelia -- Specializes in defense. Also progressive and experimental music.
A Rolling Stone -- Intern. Knows much about Bob Dylan, and makes a mean cappuccino.

Questions and Answers:

Q : Do I need to claim articles or topics?
A : No, but it would be excellent if you could let us know what you have in mind.

Q : Are there any deadlines I have to follow?
A : None at all. This is pure recreational and leisure work. Write at your own pace, and we’ll publish it as long as it abides by the two aforementioned conditions.

Q : What can I write about?
A : Whatever you want. You can review an album, or you can write a biography of your favourite musician. We’ll even publish humourous fiction involving Classic Rock’s zanier and larger than life characters, providing it’s well written. The choice is yours!

Q: I’m writing this paper for school, and it’s about ______, and I’m wondering if…
A : If you’re comfortable sharing your school assignments, then we’re comfortable posting it.

Q : I’m not a very good writer, but I’m interested in contributing.
A : As long as you put the effort into trying, we’ll put the effort into helping you develop as a writer.

Q : Wait a tick... this is just a cheap blogspot!
A : You are correct sir, but it suits our needs at the current moment rather adequately. The idea is to build a solid archive of material. If a reliable flow of quality material comes into the project, we will begin work on a proper archive (paid domain and all) to index what has been amassed so far. This is obviously a lofty ideal, and there's no telling what it would take to accomplish this (or how long it would take for that matter), but it's what we're shooting for.

Blogspot also makes the material more readily available to a wider audience than if we were to limit it to within the confines of this forum. Really, it's just a (baby) step in the right direction.

Q : How do I submit my piece?
A : There are quite a few ways to go about submitting a piece:
1. Post it in this thread. (This is the preferred method of submission)
2. Send it to one of the teamsters through Private Message (PM)
3. Send it to one of the teamsters through email (see list of team members above)

There may be a small grace period between when you send your piece and when you see it posted. We ask that you wait three days before you get out your curse word thesaurus and start the expletive slinging. Some of us have lives outside the internet (although I find it hard to believe sometimes too).

DO NOT tell us where we can/will/might find your piece. We're not a fan of scavenger hunts, and it saves everyone a lot of time and effort if you just use the proper channels for submissions.

A Quick Note on Album Reviewing:
When it comes to reviewing albums, don't feel you have to conform to a strict style. Don't think a song by song breakdown/analysis is absolutely necessary and don't feel resigned to do what everyone else is doing. Don't think it's mandatory to have subheadings for every aspect of the album you're critiquing (Lyrics/Sound/Impression/Whatever) and don't think that it's only a review if you give it a score! Obviously you can write it how ever you want going as deep into the material as you see fit, but a few paragraphs clearly illustrating your rational opinion will work fine too.

**Keep in mind that the project is currently in its very early moments. Be patient while we tweak and work things out. Don't hesitate to ask us questions either**

Thread updated on 2/17/09
Last edited by Maet at May 2, 2009,
G'day.

This interests me... although I'm a bit reluctant to say how much I could contribute, but if something piques my interests I might try writing about it.

But, I might enjoy editing the odd thing. Exercise the ol' writing chops.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by Maet

Virtually any content at all can be posted (reviews, articles, essays, rants, biographies, histories, etc). There are only two conditions you must abide by:

1) Your piece must deal with (or otherwise relate to) classic rock in some way, shape, or form.

There's not a chance in hell you're restricting me from writing about the Black Crowes at some point in time.
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I'd say the things I'm most knowledgeable in would be Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd (and to a lesser extent The Doors, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin) and live bands in general.

As for contributions, I'll try and do something every Friday/Sunday, or at least once every other week.
Last edited by metalfan#3 at Jan 8, 2009,
^^Me, you, and Mike should collaborate on a giant Pink Floyd article.

Maet, should we move the existing album reviews over to the blog?

EDIT: I'm definitely gonna move mine (eventually), but I'll wait for word on what we want to do with the others.
Quote by Thefallofman
^^70s are mine
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by metalfan#3
^ That's a very interesting idea...we could each take an era (60's, 70's, then post-Rog) and write about it, no?

I'll take the post-70s stuff as long as we're including The Final Cut with my section.

I accepted my invite a few hours ago.

I'm sure I can cover Bob Dylan well. If there's any interest in some "roots" stuff focusing on the 50s, and the blues, folk, etc. preceding rock I can do that too.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by BrainDamage
Maet, should we move the existing album reviews over to the blog?

We can dump all the reviews in there for starters, but I'd like to go through them all at one point and get rid of any weak or terrible reviews (not saying there are any, but I'd prefer not to include them if they do exist).

When you post the old reviews, make sure you give credit to the original user, even if they've dropped off the internet for all intents and purposes. Also include the month/day/year it was originally posted.

So for example:

Written by Johnny Q. McForum Poster
Originally posted on 9/11/01

And go nuts with the Black Crowes. They toured with all the big Classic Rock names, so it's not a problem by me.

Also, don't force yourself or feel obliged to meet any imaginary deadlines (This goes for everyone... especially me ).

Edit -- Until I learn the ins and outs of HTML coding (or find someone who does), I am rather satisfied with the way the blog looks at the current moment.
Last edited by Maet at Jan 9, 2009,
I've started to import the reviews to the blog. I'll probably do a few more before calling it a night. I'm going down the list as Matt has posted it in the second post of the review thread (not in order of post date!) skipping all of your reviews (I'll leave you to post your own work).

Try to keep this format:

[Band] - [Album] (same as entry title)

[Album cover art reasonably scaled] (if there is none, do a quick image search to include it)

*Contents of the review*

Written by [username]
Originally posted on [date of post in thread]

Edit -- My internet is crapping out right now, so I'm going to bed. I've stopped after Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks. I must say though, it looks pretty darn good right now.
Last edited by Maet at Jan 9, 2009,
I think, for a first project, I might review experimental albums by ex-Beatles members.

edit: Oh, and Maet, please put me down for whatever you see fit, if you wouldn't mind.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by Maet

Cptbeefheart – 100% USDA approved Angus beef

Quote by Maet
We can dump all the reviews in there for starters, but I'd like to go through them all at one point and get rid of any weak or terrible reviews (not saying there are any, but I'd prefer not to include them if they do exist).

When you post the old reviews, make sure you give credit to the original user, even if they've dropped off the internet for all intents and purposes. Also include the month/day/year it was originally posted.

So for example:

Written by Johnny Q. McForum Poster
Originally posted on 9/11/01
Sounds good.

Quote by Maet
And go nuts with the Black Crowes. They toured with all the big Classic Rock names, so it's not a problem by me.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by psychodelia
edit: Oh, and Maet, please put me down for whatever you see fit, if you wouldn't mind.

What do you mean? Responsibilities, specialties, article ideas, or am I missing the point entirely? (It's 3:30 in the morning here, and I'm a bit exhausted from lack of sleep and having just wrote an article for my campus newspaper *cough*signature*/cough*)

As for me, I might do a bit where I compare a copy of Foxtrot (Genesis) with it's modern day remastered counterpart to illustrate some of the jarring differences possible in remastering (there are several). It depends on my article schedule and when I finally climb the Oscar bait mountain of current movies that are out right now (Doubt, Valkyrie, Revolutionary Road, The Reader...)
Quote by Maet
What do you mean? Responsibilities, specialties, article ideas, or am I missing the point entirely? (It's 3:30 in the morning here, and I'm a bit exhausted from lack of sleep and having just wrote an article for my campus newspaper *cough*signature*/cough*)

Yeah, sorry about that, I was also tired and I'm not really sure what I meant.

If you could just make it so I can post contributions to the blog, that'd be lovely.
Tell me your primary email address, and I'll send you the invitation.
Sweeet.

I've got about 7 albums to listen to this weekend, and then I should have my first material ready.
So.......where is this encyclopedia thingy gonna go???
Co-founder of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM me or nick dixon
Winner of the CR Best Avatar Award

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
That's how we roll in the CR forum.
Irritate us, and we'll sic our 14 year old on you!
Cool, so this is a community thing then?

I may have a go at writing something sometime this week
Quote by stonegolem13
So.......where is this encyclopedia thingy gonna go???

To Alpha Centauri as soon as I configure the propulsion system. It also depends on when Kory finishes the stasis chamber and how successful Matt is with petitioning the UN for funding.

In all seriousness, while it is clearly just a humble blogspot at the moment, I might buy a domain for the project somewhere down the line if the idea ever catches fire. As it stands, the current set up suits our needs quite adequately. I'm investing time in the project because it's something I enjoy doing, but it'll take more than just enjoyment to make me spend money on it.

Quote by Skirvy
Cool, so this is a community thing then?

Yep. Open to anyone and everyone.
Quote by Maet
Yep. Open to anyone and everyone.

Well hold on. Let's not get crazy and let the Irish in.
Quote by Maet
In all seriousness, while it is clearly just a humble blogspot at the moment, I might buy a domain for the project somewhere down the line if the idea ever catches fire.

If it does reach that point, I'd certainly be more than happy to chip in with the funds.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Hey guys, I'd be interested in contributing album reviews for this project of yours. In fact, I've already reviewed two Rolling Stones albums from the 70's. Check'em out and tell me if I can contribute at all, they're in the reviews section!

BTW, how do I join up, exactly? (I've got a bit of a head-ache from sitting in front of my pc all day, so go easy...)
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
Quote by Thefallofman
If it does reach that point, I'd certainly be more than happy to chip in with the funds.
Says the one who won't suck it up and buy a Beano Boost.

If it ever did reach that point, I guess I'd be obligated to chip in.

EDIT: I added up to the Zeppelin reviews. If you other contributors could continue to add the reviews from the review project thread, I can get rid of a sticky and retire that thread to the archives.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by BrainDamage
Says the one who won't suck it up and buy a Beano Boost.

I already bought 2 dirt pedals this week!
Hey, I'm Mike.
^^You're eventually going to buy a Beano Boost, and then you're going to come back to me saying I was absolutely right. Mark my words. 2009-01-12, 3:28 PM.
Quote by Thefallofman
Quote by Zooropean11
Hey guys, I'd be interested in contributing album reviews for this project of yours. In fact, I've already reviewed two Rolling Stones albums from the 70's. Check'em out and tell me if I can contribute at all, they're in the reviews section!

BTW, how do I join up, exactly? (I've got a bit of a head-ache from sitting in front of my pc all day, so go easy...)

You don't. You write something, and if you want to share it with us, you can either post it in here or send it to one of the teamsters listed in the original post. The people who are on the team right now are reliable (mostly ), which is why they have posting privileges. If you want the same privileges, it mostly boils down to "proving your worth," ille est dicere* writing quality articles on a somewhat regular basis (for argument's sake, 3 - 4 per month), being knowledgeable, and generally being present on the forum. Being a cool guy and sending us beer also helps (I kid of course).

In general, we'll accept mostly anyone's work so long as it abides by the two conditions in the original post. Just don't think you have to be a team member to see your stuff posted. Frankly, I don't want to hand out authoring powers like skittles at the risk of having a troll slip through the cracks and start messing stuff up.

For starters, just send us your album reviews and we'll have a look over it (Don't give us a general location and say "happy hunting." A direct link really helps).

* Ille est dicere literally translates from Latin to "That is to say."

Regarding my comments about buying a domain: That's a very optimistic "best case scenario" goal. Nothing more than an ideal at the moment. I have no idea if it will ever get to that point, nor what it would take to do so.
Last edited by Maet at Jan 12, 2009,
Quote by Maet
Being a cool guy and sending us beer also helps (I kid of course).
No one listen to him. Sending us beer will most definitely help.
Quote by Thefallofman
Zooropean11, I found your reviews. You gave Sticky Fingers a solid 10, so as a very quick glance, it's fine by me

I don't have time to put it up right now, but if one of the other authors wants to give it a once over and throw it up, that would be great:
Tattoo You review
Sticky Fingers review

Edit -- There is a quick (emphasis on 'quick') note on album reviewing attached to the original post now.
Last edited by Maet at Jan 13, 2009,
Sorry....i didn't realise the huge title was a link (how embarrassing)
Co-founder of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM me or nick dixon
Winner of the CR Best Avatar Award

Quote by bodyheatseeker
ohhh burrrrn!
That's how we roll in the CR forum.
Irritate us, and we'll sic our 14 year old on you!
VERY good!
Quote by megadeth rule
how do you trip on acid? was your shoelace untied?

Quote by perry589
Mikko, you remind me of a clogged up toilet. You're the poo that won't go away.
Quote by F4R3W311
Planning on breaking the rules are we? The Black Crowes ARE NOT classic rock despite how much you think they are or how much you want them to be...everyone knows it. That's like saying Guns-N-Roses are classic rock or hmmm maybe even Nirvana (pffftt what a joke). So why is it that YOU get to do such a thing, and as soon as a regular user (non-mod) comments about something that is not classic rock according to the rules, (as you have in the past) you would probably be the first one to call them on it. HAHA, the way this place is run and whom it is run by is F%#King hilarious! What a joke...

We need a "digging your own grave" smiley.

Nobody said the Black Crowes are classic rock. Neither are the blues or folk artists I'll be writing about.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by F4R3W311
Planning on breaking the rules are we? The Black Crowes ARE NOT classic rock despite how much you think they are or how much you want them to be...everyone knows it. That's like saying Guns-N-Roses are classic rock or hmmm maybe even Nirvana (pffftt what a joke). So why is it that YOU get to do such a thing, and as soon as a regular user (non-mod) comments about something that is not classic rock according to the rules, (as you have in the past) you would probably be the first one to call them on it. HAHA, the way this place is run and whom it is run by is F%#King hilarious! What a joke...

I'd make a comment about how much of a pillock you are, although I'm not exactly sure what that would accomplish because it's quite clear that you can't fucking read!
Quote by F4R3W311
Planning on breaking the rules are we? The Black Crowes ARE NOT classic rock despite how much you think they are or how much you want them to be...everyone knows it.
I know.

Quote by F4R3W311
So why is it that YOU get to do such a thing, and as soon as a regular user (non-mod) comments about something that is not classic rock according to the rules, (as you have in the past) you would probably be the first one to call them on it.
1) The only time I'd call someone out for posting something that isn't classic rock is if there is a thread about a band that isn't classic rock.
2) Maet is running this thing. His blog, his rules. One of his rules states that "your piece must deal with (or otherwise relate to) classic rock". The Black Crowes have toured with numerous classic rock artists (Robert Plant, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Jimmy Page) and cover classic rock songs during their live shows on a regular basis.

EDIT: I moved more reviews from this site over to the blog today. For the love of god people, USE SPELL CHECK/PROOFREAD YOUR WORK.
Quote by Thefallofman
I actually have several reviews, and regularly review classic rock (among other) albums. Mind if I join you're little initiative?
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
All righty then Maet, you've convinced me: I'll write reviews for this enterprise of yours, all the while hoping that they get posted!
Expect reviews for all the 70's Rolling Stones albums, for now...

(and by the way, I've also studied Latin! )
My Signal Chain:

Gibson 1974 Les Paul Custom
Vox AC-30 cc2 combo
JAM Pedals Tubedreamer +

Nigel will always be 1 louder than you!
Last edited by Zooropean11 at Jan 14, 2009,