I have noticed that on a lot of rack set ups the order is:

guitar -> preamp -> effects -> power amp

Yet, it seems like most amp head users' order is:

guitar -> effects -> head

Sometimes, people use the effects loop in/out feature on the head, which would be like a lot of the rack setups. I haven't seen many racks with the effects before the preamp.

What is the benefit of either order?
many players think things like delay, flanger, reverb and chorus sound better after distortion. i suppose its easier to have rack mounted effect in the effects loop as cabling would be easier, compared to guitar into preamp, then back out to your effects then back in, which requires more cabling
Quote by Devin Brooks
I have noticed that on a lot of rack set ups the order is:

guitar -> preamp -> effects -> power amp

Yet, it seems like most amp head users' order is:

guitar -> effects -> head

Sometimes, people use the effects loop in/out feature on the head, which would be like a lot of the rack setups. I haven't seen many racks with the effects before the preamp.

What is the benefit of either order?

The main difference would be with the type of effects used. Pedals are usually designed to run on a -10dB instrument level (High impedance) signal, and rack processors are usually designed to run on a +4dB Line level (Low Impedance) signal.

A preamp out to a pedal will likely clip the pedals input.

Amps (Combos, or heads) which have effects loops, (There are various types of loops-- NOT all equal) would usually put any rack type of processors in the loop, and pedals in the front. (There are exceptions)
Last edited by zachman5150 at Jan 8, 2009,