So far, I only know a good solo that uses standard tuning, and that's Santana's "Into the night". Are there other songs that use solos with standard or drop-D tuning (don't want to tune that much)?
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
BluesJr 1996-B + cathode follower + texas Heat
Crate CPB150
Homemade 4 x 10 cab Bass closeback
Metal Muff
Last edited by Jestersage at Jan 8, 2009,
...What kind of music do you listen to?

Because 90% of rock is in E.

That includes thousands of epic solos.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by necrosis1193

Metal, alternative rock, REALLY hard rock, industrial rock.

Even most of the Yngwie stuff is in half-step down from standard tuning, while Van Helen used D-tuning on Beat it. I want a solo that is short but cool (otherwise I would just go canon rock)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Quote by Jestersage

Even most of the Yngwie stuff is in half-step down from standard tuning, while Van Helen used D-tuning on Beat it. I want a solo that is short but cool (otherwise I would just go canon rock)

...Really, I'm not going to answer this. First, learn to spell EVH's name right. Next, open iTunes, put it on shuffle and go with whatever the first E-tuned song is. Odds are it won't take long.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
What level are you? If you want some easy pentatonic solos to start off with you could try Shook me all Night - AC/DC, Nothing Else Matters - Metallica (really short), Stairway to Heaven (Led Zep)...
Thanks. i will start from there.
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
You should just go down to Eb. That's what Van Halen, Yngiwe, Hendrix, Stevie Ray, Slash, (Satriani on some songs) use. It's not really that far to tune either.

That's a fair few great solos.
Last edited by Horlicks at Jan 8, 2009,
most solos in Eb or lower tuning can be played easily in E standard if you transpose it

unless they're using a lot of open strings, but in the genres you mentioned i doubt it since that's harder to mute than a fretted string.

Quote by Horlicks
You should just go down to Eb. That's what Van Halen, Yngiwe, Hendrix, Stevie Ray, Slash, (Satriani on some songs) use. It's not really that far to tune either.

That's a fair few great solos.

that's what i do too, tune my guitar to Eb and transpose songs. if there are a lot of open chords i put a capo on. problem solved
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
Last edited by angl2k at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by angl2k
most solos in Eb or lower tuning can be played easily in E standard if you transpose it

unless they're using a lot of open strings, but in the genres you mentioned i doubt it since that's harder to mute than a fretted string.

that's what i do too, tune my guitar to Eb and transpose songs. if there are a lot of open chords i put a capo on. problem solved

Eb users unite!
or you can play it a half step higher and then if you wanna pefrom tune to Eb. It doesnt matter too much what tuning you play in as long as you are in tune with yourself.
Or, you just play the Eb songs in normal tuning.

Crazy, isn't it?

Seriously.
Almost all rock and metal songs are in standard tuning. If they aren't, they're most likely down half a step, down two steps, or in drop D.
Not hard to go into drop D, and if it's down a few steps or whatever, just play the solo two frets lower than it's written if it really bothers you.

Seriously.
Most songs are in standard tuning.
Member of the Laney Cult
Protip:
If its in a scale based around the pentatonic boxes, just move what theyre playing in that tuning to the right place on a standard tuned neck.
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
Quote by Jestersage

Three Days by Jane's Addiction is a great solo.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Any Metallica from these albums:

Kill 'Em All
Ride The Lightning
Master of Puppets
...And Justice For All
Black Album (some songs)
Death Magnetic

All Iron Maiden is standard, as I recall.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
I ended up deciding to just tune it to EB, and then buy a capo when I have time. Thanks, though.

BTW, as hard as Arpeggios From Hell is, it IS an interesting song. Simple but to the point. Easy to remember in the head, too. (Finger sitll need practice but whatever)
Ibanez SA-120 (ed.2006)
Crate CPB150
Metal Muff
Cowboys from Hell is a good solo in E.

Tons of songs are in Standard Tuning, shuffle through songs and find any.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
spoonful from Wheels of fire is a great song in E, but the song is about 14 minutes of solos
Quote by necrosis1193

That includes thousands of epic solos.

This. If you want epic solos in E then Stairway and SOTW are good. Also whole lotta love is badass and so is SCOM. All popular ones too.
Quote by Jestersage
So far, I only know a good solo that uses standard tuning, and that's Santana's "Into the night". Are there other songs that use solos with standard or drop-D tuning (don't want to tune that much)?

How about all of them?
Jimi Hendrix > All

Fender MIM Strat
Epiphone Les Paul (SD JB + 59)
Epiphone Dot (Dirty Fingers + 57 Classic)
Yamaha FG700S Acoustic

Crate V-18 212

Dunlop Original Crybaby
EHX Sovtek Big Muff
Boss DS-1
Boss BD-2
Boss BF-2
Quote by Jestersage

A sweet solo that's in e standard is Iron Man. Can't go wrong with Black Sabbath.
Under A Glass Moon anyone? Along with most Dream Theater.
Most (older) black metal is in standard and has some pretty sick solos as well
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
This song is really overrated, but Hysteria by Muse has a nice solo. Not too difficult, in A minor, scale starting on the twelfth fret. It is easy, any moderate guitarist should be able to play it.

Also in A minor is the solo to Forty Days by Streetlight Manifesto. Really, really, really, easy. Takes about two and a half minutes to learn.
Gear:1991 Fender MIJ Jazz/Squier VM Fretless Jazz -> Pitchblack -> Way Huge Green Rhino -> Boss OC-2 -> Boss DD-7 -> Markbass Tube 800 -> SWR 4x12.

Flat wounds. Flat wounds on everything. Everything is a little fatter when it's flatter.