just changed the strings on my taylor acoustic and the string peg that holds the string into the body of the guitar keeps pulling out on the E and A strings. the A string has pulled out a little (and 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch) but stays in tune. the E string gradually keeps pulling out and won't stay back in or in tune! any trick or something i'm doing wrong? after playing half a song it detunes almost a full semi-tone and will probably eventually pull out completely, thanks
like.... the string pulling the peg out? or is it just coming out of tune?

edit: how did you get the pegs out? how old is the guitar? are the pegs originals? did you use a different type of strings?
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
Last edited by Wicked Rose at Jan 8, 2009,
yea the peg is pulling out, i just pulled the pegs out with my hand when there was no tension on the string, the guitars about a year old, original pegs, yes, different strings, the guitar shop only had martins this time
Quote by cefasnacht
yea the peg is pulling out, i just pulled the pegs out with my hand when there was no tension on the string, the guitars about a year old, original pegs, yes, different strings, the guitar shop only had martins this time

Different gauge? Particularly heavier ones? Also, sometimes the strings pull out a little because the ends aren't completely far inside the pegs, so when you tune up/play them they'll pull out from the guitar's body and may even bring out the peg with them. They'll keep doing it up until they settle in completely.

Maybe it's also time for you to buy new pegs?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Last edited by evening_crow at Jan 8, 2009,
that's the only thing I could think of. that or maybe you're not pushing the pegs back in far enough. (I'm assuming you know better than these things though, as you appear to know what you're talking about.)
... wrote
the funny thing about those ads is, if i could steal a car at the comfort of my own computer in my own house, i would.

Quote by MyDesertRose
Ahahaha TS just got gobsmacked.
Well played Wicked Rose
I had the same problem earlier in the night, I just held the peg down and tightened the string in their till the peg stayed in right. It takes a minute but the tension of the strings on the bridge usually hold it in right.
Peace be thy journey