Hey, I was just wondering if it would be cheaper to build my own guitar rather than just buying a brand name prebuilt one. I want to build a new guitar because I heard it could be cheaper depending on the specs and it would also give me something to do until I start working again.

I wanted to buy a Ibanez RG2550z but I waited to long and the price went up from $1000 CAN to $1200 CAN. Because I already own a set of DiMarzio Distortion Humbuckers (they 20 years old but I'm sure still functional) I was thinkin, maybe I can just build a similar guitar from scratch without wasting money on having that IBANEZ name on the top of the neck.
If you're able to, yes. but you need some technical skills to make it work right
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Well, I meant buy prebuild body's/necks from maybe warmoth.com and buying all the parts seperately and just assembling. All I pritty much need is a screw driver and a sodering iron right?
for 1200,yea it would be cheaper,alot cheper,like 400 if you cheaply

it can be done
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
well I dont exactly want to cheap out. Maybe build the best guitar I can with $1000. But man if I can build a $1200 guitar with only $400, **** thats alot of money you spend just to get the brand name.

Any advise on what I should pick out? I like to play all the hard rock and heavy metal from Ac/Dc -> ZZ-Top, my main genre is thrash metal though.
Last edited by DudeitsKevin at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by DudeitsKevin
well I dont exactly want to cheap out. Maybe build the best guitar I can with $1000. But man if I can build a $1200 guitar with only $400, **** thats alot of money you spend just to get the brand name.

Ofcourse it is. They have workers to pay you know? And so do music stores, what do you expect?
no man, it wouldn't be the same quality. Unless you're planning on buying a neck to somehow do a set neck joint (and let's not get into the argument of set vs bolt on..)

I have learned over time that you'll waste money on buying things for a guitar you wouldn't like as much as bought, the finish never turns out perfect, bunch of other things, cheaper and easier to buy sometimes, even looking at low cost alternatives to your favorite guitar.

That's just my two cents.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
if you're building.. like right from scratch. the investment in the tools to do so would probably start at around $2000

just a rough guess.

then you have to buy the wood, and parts which can range to just about anything.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Much cheaper. I think... a basswood soloist body is something like $175 without the heel contour (which I presume you'd want-that's another $35) but finishing there is expensive (alpine white is about $190), however they do extremely thin and durable finishes in practically whatever color you want.
NECKS: A finished neck with the Wizard profile and prepped for a locking nut will be upwards of $300 with basic wood options.
Hardware: Buy it from somewhere else. The Gotoh Floyd Rose on Guitarpartsdepot.com is about $30 less (you need to buy a $20 dollar locking nut, otherwise it would be $50 cheaper) than an Original Floyd Rose and is as good if not better. Warmoth has a good deal on tuners though; $25 for a set of Gotoh SG38 tuners.
TOTAL:Before Shipping/Customs/etc...
$862 with no pots/switches/etc. which are pretty damned cheap at a guitar shop near you.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by oneblackened
Much cheaper. I think... a basswood soloist body is something like $175 without the heel contour (which I presume you'd want-that's another $35) but finishing there is expensive (alpine white is about $190), however they do extremely thin and durable finishes in practically whatever color you want.
NECKS: A finished neck with the Wizard profile and prepped for a locking nut will be upwards of $300 with basic wood options.
Hardware: Buy it from somewhere else. The Gotoh Floyd Rose on Guitarpartsdepot.com is about $50 less than an Original Floyd Rose and is as good if not better. Warmoth has a good deal on tuners though; $25 for a set of Gotoh SG38 tuners.

That's basswood. Wouldn't you perfer something like mahogony solid piece? That seems a but pricey for a paint job i can do with a couple of spray cans in my garage..And 300 for a neck? Personally, In this case, i say buy, even if it's slightly used to save you some money. Look at scratch and dent's! You've got many options.
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
Quote by THE Saint Jimmy
That's basswood. Wouldn't you perfer something like mahogony solid piece? That seems a but pricey for a paint job i can do with a couple of spray cans in my garage..And 300 for a neck? Personally, In this case, i say buy, even if it's slightly used to save you some money. Look at scratch and dent's! You've got many options.

Yes, I like mahogany better... but it's more expensive (but not enough to really matter).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
It depends on your location, workshop set up and skill and knowledge levels

If you live in America, or any where else that has access to cheap lumber yards then wood is very cheap, if you are me and live in England and have to buy wood online its f**king expensive.

If you have the tools already then that brings down a huge cost.

Cost aside you need to have to skills to make a guitar, the chances of you making a first guitar of better quality than an Ibanez is highly unlikely unless you are a good wood worker, or are willing to put in the time to become one.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
If you know how to solder, building/modifying your own guitar can save you some money on a custom guitar. If you struggle with soldering, you may end up frustrating yourself and ruining good components. Finishing can also be a real pain in the ass.

Price it out. Once you get quality parts and components, you may not be able to save as much as you would think. Big manufacturers buy bridges, tuners, knobs, pots, pickguards, etc in large quantities and save money. When we "little guys" buy parts one at a time, there is quite a mark-up.
I seriously doubt ESP pays $80-100 US for a set of locking tuners, $150 for pickups, $200 for a body, $150-200 for a bridge and $150-200 for a neck on a $800 guitar. They certainly are not spending $12 for a pickup selector or $5 for a volume pot. They wouldn't make any money.

You will save money if you look at it from the POV that you will have a one of a kind guitar once you are done.
I would just buy a scratch and dent guitar, I dont really care about a couple dings/scratches. The main reason why I wanna build one is for a project, it'll give me something to do with all my spare time. Its also a great way to learn more about how guitars function and how they're made.
Quote by ESP_Shreder
it's not cheaper unless you already have ALL your own tools.

+1

Your first build will be cheaper than a custom shop guitar, but you'll still have to spend a bunch on tools you never knew you'd need, and you probably won't achieve the quality.... but your next build will be cheaper and better.
Quote by vp_nyc
what is scratch and dent?? i hear that term alot
Exactly what it says on the tin

A guitar that is being sold off cheaper because it has (generally minor) imperfections, such as scratches and dents.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man