I seem to have a problem here: I want to practice/play 24/7 but my body doesnt seem to want to let me.

I've recently begin getting an aching pain in my picking hand's elbow (on the outside/forearm). Am I using incorrect posture or something when picking?

Only thing I've started doing is : Using metronome just pick in time, slowly increasing it to build up speed/accuracy in picking.

I did some surfing around and it looks like this is freak'n tennis elbow?!?!?! WTF....

Anyone else ever experience this 'ache'? How can I get rid of it for good? Braces? Wrist bands?

It's makin' me crazy cause I'm sitting here just lookin' at the guitar...but unable to really do anything with it otherwise the ache comes back 10 fold...
Sounds like you're keeping that arm too stiff or something. Other than some general soreness, the majority of the "muscle pain" should be in your hand and maybe some forearm muscles.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
You shouldn't be using your elbow. Your picking motion should be 99% from your wrist. Sounds to me like bad technique.
GUITAR!!!!!
are you resting your forearm on the body of the guitar or flailing it about as you pick? Rest it on your guitar and use your wrist for picking. Be conservative, no need to impress anyone with your rock star impressions with your picking motion

But as stated before, a likely cause is that you are too tense, which could stem from poor posture in other parts of your body, not just your elbow. RELAX!
Johnny Greenwood used to have his arm in a strap when preforming live.

He used to say it was like stapping up your knee before a football match
Last edited by Tkm at Jan 8, 2009,
Your hand should be pretty relaxed and loose, really. It shouldn't be any more tense that it would be if you picked up a bottle of water or something.
- Fender, Taylor, Martin, Ibanez, Ramirez, Marshall, Boss, Morley, Mesa/Boogie, Univox, Shure, Monster, Dunlop, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Lace, Sperzel, DW, Tama, Zildjian, and a little Johnnie Walker
If you practice a lot though you'll get repetitive strain injury
You're talkin about the muscle on the top part of your forearm on the outside of your elbow. Yeah i know what you mean, just try to relax. Sometimes after i work out real hard i can't play because my forearms are shot. It's a give and take son.
Quote by Slapknot
I seem to have a problem here: I want to practice/play 24/7 but my body doesnt seem to want to let me.

I've recently begin getting an aching pain in my picking hand's elbow (on the outside/forearm). Am I using incorrect posture or something when picking?

Only thing I've started doing is : Using metronome just pick in time, slowly increasing it to build up speed/accuracy in picking.

I did some surfing around and it looks like this is freak'n tennis elbow?!?!?! WTF....

Anyone else ever experience this 'ache'? How can I get rid of it for good? Braces? Wrist bands?

It's makin' me crazy cause I'm sitting here just lookin' at the guitar...but unable to really do anything with it otherwise the ache comes back 10 fold...

Posture may be one thing...

However, you shouldn't be practicing 24/7. Doing anything for too long is not good for you. Like stated above, you can get repetitive strain injury. If that happens then you're definitely going to be staring at your guitar for a while longer.

Remember, do all things in moderation.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.