hey all, a friend of mine noticed the other day that when changing to a g chord (mainly following a c chord) i place my pinky and ring finger on the high e and b strings first and then quickly move my index and middle finger onto the low e and a strings. so it is essentially 2 movements obviously this doesn't seem very efficient, does anyone else have this problem? it seems like my hand cant move all fingers at once lol, i see most people seem to make the chord shape just above the frets in one motion and then place their hand down i just cant seem to do it. also do people have some good songs (nothing to hard) that use the open chords (mainly c,g,d so i can practice the c to g change) and maybe some barre chords cos im trying to practice switching from open to barre atm which is a tad tricky. thanks ug
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
Almost every Bob Dylan song will have your open chord changes, just practice slowly changing the chords in one movement, then work up speed. I'd also advise that you learn the ancient art of the Shift key.
I am so tired of rhetorical questions. Or am I?
you shook me all night long- acdc
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Aye practise eventually you will just start moving in 1 go / be really fast at how you do it...
well its just really odd, i try it really slow and i still have to do it on two motions, i just cant get them to move all at once. the 2 motions have become quite fast tho and look a bit like one motion lol, il keep trying it, im trying to keep my han i have yet to find a song which is so fast that its a big problem but its a bit annoying really cos i know its not very efficient lol.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube
You will find the only answer really is practice. If you keep practicing at some point you will find a way of changing that feels good to you and also that you can do quickly. A quick tip is try to keep your fingers close to the strings when you change chords as it makes the movement faster rather than lift off alot and then coming back down which is slower. Also try to change chord with the minimum of movement.

Don't worry too much about how it sounds to begin with if you get fret buzz or accidently mute strings after a change. Once you get the speed up it is quite easy to get better finger position. Changing to an open C used to be really hard for me as I muted strings with my fingers and hand by mistake. After alot of practice I get it clean everytime now even when playing rapidly.

Good luck and don't give up you will get there with practice.

I've done this before. Only when I'm playing too fast for my own good though. I'll hit the treble strings and mute the low ones until the rest of my hand catches up. Doesn't sound horrible but I'm assuming its bad practice..
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Quote by invaderzim31
Almost every Bob Dylan song will have your open chord changes, just practice slowly changing the chords in one movement, then work up speed. I'd also advise that you learn the ancient art of the Shift key.

Ancient art of the Shift key
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
well okay il keep working on that change, its pretty fast just not very efficient i think so im trying to slow it down and concentrate on every movement. another thing im having trouble with is changing from an open chord or just any playing to a barre chord, how do most people go about the change? do they barre with the 1st finger first and then move the other finger into the desired shape or make the shape then add the barre? cheers, any vids of people doing these things would be appreciated if anyone knows of a song or something.
My Beginner setup:
Ibanez rg321mh
Roland Micro cube