Joined a band recently, I play the second guitar. Everyone else in the band are really great musicians. i have played for about 2 years, don't really play extremely good but seems that I'm good enough to play with them. But then my problem is, I really stink at improvisation (not soloing, but normal riffs and licks) and creating riffs that sounds decent and good enough to put in a song. Any good way for me to practice this?

P.S. sometimes when I play, I notice that I let some notes ring when I change string, probably dumb question but this will go away when I keep playing right?
Last edited by groose at Jan 8, 2009,
just practise,learn your scales if you havent already
ps answer: just mute it by either palm or lay your hand over the string
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
I don't really get how scales are gonna help me, care to explain?
nothing you can really do. i found it just comes in time. i used to think of something in my head and then search all over the guitar to find the right notes and try to produce the sound in my head to actual music...but now i am not fully, but starting to get to a point where i can think it and then play it right away cuz im familiar enough with the guitar now....btw i been playing 3 years

or if you simply cant even think of a riff....then leave the songmaking to the other guys....just play what they come up with.

and about the notes ringing when u change chords i have no idea...maybe your pulling off to hard when switching chords or something...maybe you just need to practice a little more...or maybe your guitar/amp is f-ed up...idk hha
Quote by tygur91
and about the notes ringing when u change chords i have no idea...maybe your pulling off to hard when switching chords or something...maybe you just need to practice a little more...or maybe your guitar/amp is f-ed up...idk hha

Never said anything about playing chords, it's more when I play one finger at a time

Bout the other, I got about that too, should really try to make something out of that, sometimes I got some sound in my head, tho it's usually something that comes from other songs combined or something like that:/
Scales help as if you know what key you're playing in, you can use the notes of that scale to improvise - so if you're just starting to improvise you can pick like 4 or 5 notes from the scale and just play about with them. Learn the pentatonic scale if you don't already know it.

To stop notes ringing you need to learn to mute - palm muting and muting with your fretting hand (gently touch the sting thats ringing with a bit of skin off your fretting hand to mute it)
oh sorry haha same thing though even with notes instead of chords

yeah song writing isnt easy so get get upset over any of it. but the best riffs have already been written music sucks nowadays haha

what kind of band are you guys? like what genre
Quote by groose
I don't really get how scales are gonna help me, care to explain?

The reason learning scales is going to help you is because whenever you hear a riff or play a riff, it is coming from a scale. What you need to do (if you wanna get better at improvising) is learn a little guitar theory (that is, if you don't necessarily have a good ear for music, as I didn't when I was starting off). Theory is many things but all you need to learn are the basics such as scales and learning to figure out what key the song your playing is in. These 2 things will help you with improvising with riffs and such. If don't have the patience for that at all, then you will have to learn by ear i guess

Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
Quote by tygur91
oh sorry haha same thing though even with notes instead of chords

yeah song writing isnt easy so get get upset over any of it. but the best riffs have already been written music sucks nowadays haha

what kind of band are you guys? like what genre

The guys I play with are really into metallica, so some covers by them. But generally they/we heavy/thrash/speed metal I guess. Really like what they play, that's why I get alittle upset about composing something myself, don't wanna get kicked-out cause of this:P
Quote by riffer_raffer
The reason learning scales is going to help you is because whenever you hear a riff or play a riff, it is coming from a scale. What you need to do (if you wanna get better at improvising) is learn a little guitar theory (that is, if you don't necessarily have a good ear for music, as I didn't when I was starting off). Theory is many things but all you need to learn are the basics such as scales and learning to figure out what key the song your playing is in. These 2 things will help you with improvising with riffs and such. If don't have the patience for that at all, then you will have to learn by ear i guess

I've tried to learn but sort of really hard to learn by yourself, tho there are some great lessons on UG, I don't have the patience or ability to learn by myself it seems. Just playing goes great, I really see improvement all the time but theory I never seem to figure out. 'Cause lots of stuff that they say in lessons I would want to have someone to ask about too for more detailed help on my level
Quote by groose
The guys I play with are really into metallica, so some covers by them. But generally they/we heavy/thrash/speed metal I guess. Really like what they play, that's why I get alittle upset about composing something myself, don't wanna get kicked-out cause of this:P

well if your a cover band then u dont need to improvise, just play the songs how they go

as far as coming up with riffs goes.....just try dude thats all you can do really, just mess around a bunch till something u like comes up
I'm a rhythm player and my lead guitarist is always showing me new stuff. Like "Hey, try doing this when I'm doing this". Eventually, over time, you'll start to know some good stuff to throw on some licks. As for me, I just enjoy choppin' away at the rhythm throwing some palm muting and pinch harmonics every once in a while to mix things up.