View poll results: What amp?
Peavey JSX
12 31%
Peavey 6505+
10 26%
EVH 5150 III
17 44%
Voters: 39.
Afternoon folks. My choices have been narrowed down to these few amps. I play metal, but want good cleans. What do I choose? 6505+, EVH 5150III or the JSX?
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Try them all out!

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Chrisiphone
Try them all out!

i have.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Quote by willyman101
i have.

Try them all again!

The more time spent with them makes a decision easier.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Mathamology
^ Surely you can answer the question yourself then? Don't depend on a forum to give their (often uninformed) opinions on gear that you like.

That's true, soundwise I would go for any. I'd just like to know about reliability etc from people who own them..
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
All of those have good reliability. I've never heard anybody really complain about any of them. the 5150 III is the exact same amp that EVH uses so you know it'll last a long time.
^ Although I imagine he has enough money to replace them consistantly if they weren't [reliable]

Generally, Peavey are pretty reliable in my experience, and their customer service is usually pretty good too (again, in my experience).
The 5150 III is superior in sound quality to the other two imo, but is also quite a bit more expensive. Are you buying new or used? Either way, you could pick up a lot of other amps in that range, not to add any more confusion to your list or anything
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The 5150 III is superior in sound quality to the other two imo, but is also quite a bit more expensive. Are you buying new or used? Either way, you could pick up a lot of other amps in that range, not to add any more confusion to your list or anything

My Uncle is... high up in Fender. They manufacture the EVH amps so he gets them for a staff price of around £800
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
I see, well the 5150 III is going to be a little smoother and less aggressive than the 6505, but it's definitely capable of metal tones. You can probably dial it in more aggressively with a few extra minutes with the knobs, or if that doesn't work, an Overdrive pedal should certainly do the trick.

The cleans on the 5150 III are far superior to anything the 6505 has to offer, it also has an extra channel over the 6505 that makes it more versatile if needed.

The JSX is a great amp as well, but, to my ears, is a little looser in its low end. I still really like the amp, but it's going to be more of a lead voicing, if you like that for your rhythms, that's fine, but most don't.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I see, well the 5150 III is going to be a little smoother and less aggressive than the 6505, but it's definitely capable of metal tones. You can probably dial it in more aggressively with a few extra minutes with the knobs, or if that doesn't work, an Overdrive pedal should certainly do the trick.

The cleans on the 5150 III are far superior to anything the 6505 has to offer, it also has an extra channel over the 6505 that makes it more versatile if needed.

The JSX is a great amp as well, but, to my ears, is a little looser in its low end. I still really like the amp, but it's going to be more of a lead voicing, if you like that for your rhythms, that's fine, but most don't.

Is that comparison to the 6505+ or the regular 6505? Because the + is smoother than the regular one. But cheers, I can go down on Saturday and make my decision, comparing them next to each other.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
^no I'm pretty sure he was talking about the +

I also agree with Matrix on this and I've played them all myself too. I'm in a similar boat and I think the 5153 is the better amp. There have been some reliability issue so don't let anyone fool you.

The fact that you have a connection high up at Fender would make this a slam dunk if I were you.

good luck
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 8, 2009,
If you have the money - the easy choice is the EVHIII - a lot of work has gone into that amp - i can't see many of them breaking.
Plus they sound "quite" good.
Quote by MatrixClaw

MC hit the nail on the head. Exactly what I'd have said.
I have a 5150 III, & it'll kick the other 2's asses by a mile. The 6505 is OK, but the III does everything better IMO, but as MC said, you'll need an OCD to push it into uber-metal (I can get seriously heavy metal tones even w/ the gain nowhere near max). It's got some seriously heavy tones, but the voicing on the OD channel is almost pure brown (not quite the depth & punch of a cranked non-master volume plexi), but close enough for this VH fanboy !
I've heard about the reliability issues, & think it was kayman121 iirc who just got one that died in after a couple hours? Mine had a defective footswitch brand new out of the box too, which was quickly replaced. Since you've got a connection at Fender, the last thing I'd worry about is the reliability. Get teh tonez.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^True a lot of work went into the design, unfortunately they decided to make them in Mexico so the 5153 is suffering imo some of the same fate as the current HRDs and DRRIs and BJs etc. Not really sure why they went this path given the cost of the amp and Eddie's freakish attention to detail.

There is a UGr that had power tube/OT problems on day 1 so it was DOA and Matrix knows someone I believe that went thru 4 of them before giving up.

So...

*doesn't mean TS or even myself, should dismiss them*

Edit: Riff beat me.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 8, 2009,
5150 III will give you great tone, but reliability issues.
6505+ will give you solid tone, but are a dime a dozen these days.
JSX will give you versatility, great cleans and gobs of gain. It also won't break down on you.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by ortrigger
All of those have good reliability. I've never heard anybody really complain about any of them. the 5150 III is the exact same amp that EVH uses so you know it'll last a long time.

Has he REALLY retired his old Plexi? Is the EVH III really that good?
Quote by willyman101
My Uncle is... high up in Fender. They manufacture the EVH amps so he gets them for a staff price of around £800

nope that's standard staff discount. for fender, or anyone who sells fender.

go with the evh.
Can we erase the past?
To allow our dreams to forever last?

Gear:

Mesa Boogie Mini Rec 25
Mesa Boogie Rectifier 2x12 cab

Jackson DK2, DK2M, DKMGT, SLAT3-7, DK1
I should probably mention I have no interest in playing EVH.
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Has he REALLY retired his old Plexi? Is the EVH III really that good?

He retired his old plexi in the early 80s, iirc. Used plexis other than his main baby for a while, & Soldanos for a year or 2, I'm fairly sure. Breaks out the original for recording. Now he uses only the 5150 IIIs live. Not sure if he even uses the original plexi for recording anymore.
The EVH amp is a great amp, & nothing can touch it for the $1499 price they're available for new, IMO, & I own a few decent amps, & have tried dozens of high-end & boutique amps. The EVH amp rips absolute ass.
To the TS- Even if you don't play VH, the amp kills. You know-you said you've tried it.
Another consideration is that it sounds SO MUCH better at lower volumes than just about ANY amp available. It doesn't have to be cranked to sound great.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Cheers for all the help guys. But a guy selling a JSX has just accpeted my offer of £650, £150 less than the EVH. So I can buy some extra stuff. Cheers for all the help, my amp issue is SOLVED!
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
JSX is nice too bro....congrats.

Make sure you do a proper NAD!

yeah I will definitely.

If i get naked in the photos... it's becuase the love has taken over....
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
Quote by willyman101
Cheers for all the help guys. But a guy selling a JSX has just accpeted my offer of £650, £150 less than the EVH. So I can buy some extra stuff. Cheers for all the help, my amp issue is SOLVED!
Nice score! You'll be more than happy. Enjoy!!
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION