Ive been playing for about 4 or 5 month and have improved MASSIVELY and i really want to upgrade from my beginners line6 spider 15watt (i justfind it a little... limited) and get a head and some cabs if possible, but i know very little about them, only that ive played on a set a couple of times (with and without various stomp boxes) and i love the tones you can get, can anybody give me and advice about them, or recommend any?
the guitars I'll be playing on it with are two small company made guitars (1 sg, 1 les paul) im not sure if that matters, but it hought i should add it.
You should also what kind of music you're playing, and what is you budget
Gear:
Electric
2008 Epiphone G400 Heritage CherryFUBAR
2008 Ibanez GRG 170 DX
2009 Cort KX1Q
2011 LTD H 351 NT
Randall RG 50 TC
Ernie Ball 11-54
Acoustic
Dean Markley
Dunlop 10's
dammit, i knew i forgot something, Ill have about 150GBP but might be able to stretch to about 250GBP, and play mostly just rock and the occasional metal.
check out a tube combo - no need for a head/cab if you dont gig and have only been playing 4-5 months

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by ProphetToJables
dammit, i knew i forgot something, Ill have about 150GBP but might be able to stretch to about 250GBP, and play mostly just rock and the occasional metal.

that budget wont get you a head/cab
as I mentioned, check out tube combos in the 30watt range, that will be plenty for your needs. Vox, Peavey, Roland, Crate have some nice tube combos at good prices

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Yeah definatly check out tube combo's, a head + cab is a bit OTT if your not gigging larger venues, and you probably won't find a decent set for £250
Archbishop of Zeppelinism...

Quote by Beakwithteeth
Get him into blues. Lyrical depth-not so much. But it is groovy and it is black people's music so if he doesn't enjoy then he is not a true black person.

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
combos are pretty much like normal amps, cabs and heads arnt any better there just more suited to LARGE gigs.
and lol £250 for head and cab, if you found a gd one for tht much i will eat my hat
Do NOT get a Marshall MG head and cab or a Line 6 Spider head and cab. I know that they may be within your price range and look cool, but they won't sound good/last you more than a few months/be any good to you financially as no-one will buy them off of you 2nd for any amount of money that's worth it to you.

Instead, but a tube combo! A combo is when the amp part and the speakers are all in the same section. I have been looking around at various high wattage amps and it is half as expensive to buy a combo version of the same amp same wattage, as a head and cab.
oh also dont be fooled by ppl who say tht tube amps are louder thn solid state cuz ther nt, after all, if you had 100wott solid state and a 100wott tube amp they cn both only go as loud as 100wotts !!! pretty obv relli, tube amps just generealy have mre front attack giving a nicer (imo) tone and makes them SEEM louder
peace
Quote by PSM
What style of music do you play? That's very important.

he already answered that

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Tyler Durden
he already answered that

Yeah, missed that on the first read.
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Do NOT get a Marshall MG head and cab or a Line 6 Spider head and cab. I know that they may be within your price range and look cool, but they won't sound good/last you more than a few months/be any good to you financially as no-one will buy them off of you 2nd for any amount of money that's worth it to you.

Instead, but a tube combo! A combo is when the amp part and the speakers are all in the same section. I have been looking around at various high wattage amps and it is half as expensive to buy a combo version of the same amp same wattage, as a head and cab.

yeah i was about to post that dont get mg's what so ever or a line 6 cab and head if u would get one..go for a jcm 800 mesa boogie's are good too dual and tip rectifier
Quote by Epiphone'sRock
oh also dont be fooled by ppl who say tht tube amps are louder thn solid state cuz ther nt, after all, if you had 100wott solid state and a 100wott tube amp they cn both only go as loud as 100wotts !!! pretty obv relli, tube amps just generealy have mre front attack giving a nicer (imo) tone and makes them SEEM louder
peace

WHAT??? Nice try buddy but you are WAY WRONG

50 Watt tube will blow the doors off a 50 Watt Solid State

Next time you contribute, make sure you are providing accurate advice

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
to guy above me, are you mad? if the output is 100wotts it the same volume bt with mre front end, either way it cnt put nemre out thn 100wotts can it
if you thnk i am wrong provide some scientific reasoning (Y)
Quote by Epiphone'sRock
peace

I'd correct your spelling, but I've got things to do.

Anyway, amp companies often do a rough wattage rating of the amp at it's loudest point clean. Valve amps break up and overdrive quite early generally, so they can generally go a lot louder than their rating when in distortion, but clean they may only be as loud as their rating. I'm not sure how right this is, so take it with a pinch of salt, but I think that valve amps do sound much louder than solid state amps.

Quote by Tyler Durden
he already answered that

What the hell? Is this just your other account TS? A bad case of Multiple Account Disorder?

Anyway, you might like the Fender Blues Jr, but that's really not going to go into heavy distortion territory, only classic rock.
Last edited by Les Paul Ell at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by Les Paul Ell

Anyway, amp companies often do a rough wattage rating of the amp at it's loudest point clean. Valve amps break up and overdrive quite early generally, so they can generally go a lot louder than their rating when in distortion, but clean they may only be as loud as their rating. I'm not sure how right this is, so take it with a pinch of salt, but I think that valve amps do sound much louder than solid state amps.

of course..u cant go past half of one and its already super LOUD going onto 2 its f***ing LOUD
Quote by Epiphone'sRock
peace

Actually, no.

The tube and solid state will only go to 100w before they start distorting, but solid state power amps are designed not to distort, so the volume control will go no higher than 100w. On tube amps however, 100w is reached just over 1/2 way round the volume control (varies depending on the amp). Past this point you will get power amp distortion, but the amp will still get louder.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
sorry bout my spelling les paul EII lol
you point is a gd one about the overdrive bt at same time as you said, they sound louder, bt when meausered arnt any louder thn there counterparts.
and you are right about the esimated wattage we studied it in college recently
Quote by Epiphone'sRock
peace

wow, you've obviously never played on both... tube amps are way louder than solid state, I have a 60W solid state and a 30W tube, and the tube will blow the solid state outa the water. Not to mention with tubes even when it starts distorting cuz you've got the volume up, you can just keep going and it just keeps sounding better, whereas with a solid state once you get to that point it starts sounding like crap.

EDIT: Sorry to beat a dead horse, you guys are just so fast!
My Gear:
Fender Stratocaster Deluxe HSS
Hagstrom HIIN
Crate Palomino V32H w/ matching cab.
Roland Cube 60
Roland Micro Cube
BOSS ME-20
Digitech Bad Monkey
Art and Lutherie acoustic
Last edited by ninjafingers at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by Epiphone'sRock
to guy above me, are you mad? if the output is 100wotts it the same volume bt with mre front end, either way it cnt put nemre out thn 100wotts can it

*shakes head

ok, "loudness" is not measured in Watts, its measured in Db.

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Les Paul Ell

What the hell? Is this just your other account TS? A bad case of Multiple Account Disorder?

who ever this TS is you are referring too - no, but nice work Sherlock

ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Quote by Epiphone'sRock

WATTAGE
ISN'T
VOLUME.
you idiot.
it's spelled watts aswell
What is front end exactly?
Gear:
Peavey JSX Head
Ibanez PGM301
Randall R212CB

Simple.
ok willyman101 i know wattage is spent diff i cba atm and i know tht volume is Db.
and front end is hard to explain lol it kinda like treble =/ lol i know i sound stupid now lol
To clear this up, solid state amps are digital (in definition, not in sound quality numptys), whilst valve amps are analogue.
Valve amps amplify more frequencies than solid state amps, therefore they sound louder, even though they're putting out the same amount of power.

TS - Keep your current gear - you haven't been playing long at ALL to start critiquing your gear.
And seriously, any halfstack that's under, say £500 (this is including heads such as the Orange TT and Blackhearts), isn't going to be worth buying.
After you've saved up a little more money (say up to 5-600), start looking around for valve combos.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Tyler Durden
who ever this TS is you are referring too - no, but nice work Sherlock

Hehe don't worry, I misread one of your earlier posts:

Quote by Tyler Durden
he already answered that

I glanced over the 2nd bit and thought you were TS on another account whereas you were just making a quote.

hehe
Quote by Epiphone'sRock
ok willyman101 i know wattage is spent diff i cba atm and i know tht volume is Db.
and front end is hard to explain lol it kinda like treble =/ lol i know i sound stupid now lol

dude, really try and proof your posts, they are becomming more and more incomprehensable.
i love Yngwi3 !!! tis what iv been explaining bt in a logical way lol sprry my definition was kinda crap
Quote by Les Paul Ell
Hehe don't worry, I misread one of your earlier posts:

I glanced over the 2nd bit and thought you were TS on another account whereas you were just making a quote.

hehe

gotcha
Lets clear this up, tube amps ARE louder, but only louder to the human ear. In actual Db they are the same as solidstate of equivalent power outputs. Unless you're a Db-Meter the tube amp will be louder.
there seems to be a lot of talk about valve amps and solidstate amps, and this might be a noob question, but hwo are they different, i dont mean sound quality, but inside, if you know what i mean.
Quote by ProphetToJables
there seems to be a lot of talk about valve amps and solidstate amps, and this might be a noob question, but hwo are they different, i dont mean sound quality, but inside, if you know what i mean.

Valve amps (or tube amps, valve is just another way of saying it, exact same thing) have what are called "tubes" in them, pre-amp tubes and power-amp tubes.

It gets much more complicated then that so I wont go any further, you have resisters, plates, etc. to deal with.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
Quote by Epiphone'sRock
i love Yngwi3 !!! tis what iv been explaining bt in a logical way lol sprry my definition was kinda crap

Jesus christ. Your in college but you can't even spell. Good luck when it comes to writing coursework if you can't spell and can't word anything correctly.

It makes me generalise people who live in the Midlands when i see someone like this. Sadly, i'm in the Midlands as well. =[

Tube amps ARE louder than Solid state, but like Yngwi3 said, it's to do with Analogue and digital.
Sweet.
*bows and leaves*
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia