So I have a Fender Stage 160, and was wondering if I could use it as a 2x12" cab for a head?

I have a Marshall JCM900 at home, but don't want to have to bring the head and a 4x12" cab to practice all the time. If I could just bring the head along that wouldn't be too bad.

The Fender combo has nice celestions in it, and they disconnect from the amp portion via 1/4" cables. The speaker ends are male 1/4", could I use a cable to go from the amp head to the speaker cables?

Should the speakers be in parallel or in series?
you probably can just see if they are wired series or parallel and then just put a jack on it
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
If the ohms match, and the watts in the Fender can handle the JCM (I'm assuming it's a 100w head, or 50?) then as long as you use a speaker cable to connect them it should be fine.
Quote by placeboeffect81
So I have a Fender Stage 160, and was wondering if I could use it as a 2x12" cab for a head? YES

I have a Marshall JCM900 at home, but don't want to have to bring the head and a 4x12" cab to practice all the time. If I could just bring the head along that wouldn't be too bad.

The Fender combo has nice celestions in it, and they disconnect from the amp portion via 1/4" cables. The speaker ends are male 1/4", could I use a cable to go from the amp head to the speaker cables? YES but it should be wire suitable for speakers (aka Lamp Cord 14-16 AWG) don't use a coax cable!

Should the speakers be in parallel or in seriesDepends on Z.
1) What is the impedance (Z) of your current speaker configuration (typically for 2 - 8ohm speakers in parallel (4 ohms) or series (16 ohms)?
2) What impedances are selectable by your amp head (typcially 4, 8 or 16 ohms)? If they are the same you're fine.
?

Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jan 8, 2009,
Don't use a coax cable for this but a speaker cable with one 1/4 Mono Male at one end and a 1/4" mono female at the other. Look at the pic below for how wire your speakers in series. You may have to take the spade lugs off them and reroute to match the diagram.
Attachments:
Drawing1.gif
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jan 10, 2009,
^^^ Nice work! But i'd've mounted the box just inside the cab back to help prtect it a little more. Nice choice of wire too! Looks like 14 AWG.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
^^^ Nice work! But i'd've mounted the box just inside the cab back to help prtect it a little more. Nice choice of wire too! Looks like 14 AWG.

Thanks

You are correct there are alot better places for it. I actually would have flush mounted it in the wood piece myself like an actual cab. But I took extra care not to make any additional holes or damage it because 18 year old amps are hard to come by these days and I dont want to be poppin extra holes in it if I can help it

And yup, I only use the thick stuff..