Sorry about doing another thread so quickly, but I'm eager to get better at guitar, lol.

Anyway, I like to explain my situations so people have the full story and can understand my raw passion for the guitar and music as a whole, so here comes the life story, hehe!

When I was about 9 I started becoming interested in teh guitar cause my mum's boyfriend at the time had an old Squier Strat, eventually he also introduced me to Clapton, Pink Floyd and some Hendrix etc. Clapton is the one who stood out to me though and still does. I never actually set about learning the guitar till I was 11, but I suppose I didn't actually knuckled down and get into it until I was about 12 (throughout the say...8 month period I simply sat and strummed along not having a clue what notes I was doing but it did help my ability to pick rhythm, I also learnt my open major and minor chords, apart from F and B).

However when I was 12 I was diagnosed with leukemia and about 2 months in I couldn't play my guitar because one of the chemotherapy drugs and the steroid treatment that came with it caused my wrists to get extremely sore, it also bogs your mind down and so didn't help in that sense either.

I'm 16 now and the leukemia is all gone as of 5 months ago, and a little after my hands started being able to use the guitar again, my mind has "cleared up" and the passion for it has flooded back in again, but a lot stronger.

Now I've just gone back to school for the first time in 4 years, it's college now though cause I'm 16. And they've started a Rock School, so I joined up, it's ran by 4 musicians, from about 25-40, 1 of these guys I just can't seem to figure out, he's so un-approachable and hard to talk to, the other 2 are mmk, but there's one there that I really gel with and can talk to about some things musically...

...however, I find that the others (the other kids) seem to be one foot in and one foot out with it, they seem to have a lack of passion for it, they're not into it like I am and I'm also into the blues while everyone likes metal, indy (which imo is the blandest thing in existence) and some of them like rock which I am actually into along with the blues (I'm not meaning to sound like I'm on a high horse here, lol).

The other thing is that most do however have better skill than me from a technical aspect, but the people I end up with, I just can't gel with them, I have the teacher I don't like (and I'm a very shy, withdrawn person so voicing my opinion and saying things, I find hard), the others I've ended up with do my head in, there's a girl who's there and just seems to have no interest, the other guitarist is just a show off, the teacher will be talking for eg. but he'll just sit there, ignore everyone and slap about on the guitar, he's just ignorant, has no pasion and just wants to be recognized, the drummer is just the same, the only other ok person is the bass player, but he seems to have his head in the clouds. I'm just not enjoying the rock school thing now and I think I should take a different avenue for my guitar playing.

I recently sold my ps3, psp, games and a tv to get a Custom Shop Strat, so there is no doubt that I'm dedicated and I want to do this...I'm just not sure which direction to go in in terms of progressing , I feel I need to know people who have experience and passion and to be able to talk to them and have a bit of help from them but I don't wanna end up with some teacher who just shows me chords and scales, I wanna learn by ear, I wanna do it the way Clapton and B.B King done it as well as gain experience, but I also need help with theory and although I may be gaining experience in this current thing, I'm not enjoying it cause of the people and the generally rushed feel of the situation seeing as it's a 2 hour once a week thing in school.

I love teh guitar and music, it is the single most important thing to me and I can't imagine doing anything else, sometimes it's so bloody hard and does my head in that I just wanna throw it (I'll resist) yet me mum 'll call me down for dinner for example, then an hour later I'm back with it continuing, it almost feels like it's depressing me at times cause while I have the emotional input, the passion and a general ability,... I'm still longing for the skill to put it all together. Yet every day I will find myself sat back with it, determined, sometimes I'll watch a vid of a clapton gig and the inspiration is there again if I'm finding it hard.

There's no doubt that being with a band helps, but it has to be the right people. :S

Where should I go from here? Cause I need a kick up the backside and in the right direction, I couldn't live with myself if I didn't make it as a musician and feel I have to do this.

Any tips, ideas and thoughts will be greatly appreciated, thanks, Mike!
Last edited by Eight_Ball at Jan 9, 2009,
Talk to the teacher you do like, tell him how you feel and ask his advice. But don't say you don't like the other teacher - come up with a more constructive way of explaining it.
it needs a tl;dr on this
sll i ge tis you have a paison for the blues,and you watch clapton and wanna be in a band..

right?
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Record yourself on audacity (free and simple) and then keep practicing for a month, rhen record yourself again, and compare. you will see that you have definately improved, so dont worry about not improving. Check out ZeGuitarists lesssons on here, he goes from knowing nothing to everything, very very concise. Talk to the teacher you like and tell have the courage to tell him why you dont like the other and you wanna switch (i know its hard im not confident either). Just keep playing and dont get bored. If you do feel bored then just play some fun songs. Also check out the 21 day challenge (theres a thread in here somewhere.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Don't get a CS Strat for your first guitar regardless if you want to play for life.
Buy something, on average, a 10th of the price.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by Kingyem0c0re
Don't get a CS Strat for your first guitar regardless if you want to play for life.
Buy something, on average, a 10th of the price.

Already got it, lol. Well worth it.

Thanks for the advice as well guys, keep it comin'.
Also i would reccomend getting a one to one teacher who you get on with and who is good, they will definatley help you. Have fun man and keep it up, its people with real passion that make it.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Great advice peeps, much appreciated.

Btw, where can I find these "ZeGuitarist lessons"?

On the front page. There's also loads and loads of info in my sig. Enjoy.

If you haven't been playig that long and really want to learn by ear, do so. Get some of your favourite tunes and start figuring them out. That'd be a great start.

And get writing your own music ASAP. That's the most important thing of all.
Quote by Eight_Ball

Any tips, ideas and thoughts will be greatly appreciated, thanks, Mike!

Trust yourself. It sounds like you feel like you're on the outside looking in. The feeling
is talking to you. It's actually a VERY good thing. Everybody just wants to be like
everybody else. To "fit" in. But just look at the world. Its filled with people who have
never had a single original thought enter their head (well, actually they have, they just
ignore them). Look inside yourself to find where you fit.

The single biggest skill you need to get you where you want to go is practice skill. That's
the only real secret to guitar. Aside from the mechanical aspect, real practice skill will
open your awareness to what makes you YOU. When you know that, you can connect
with it and let it out in your playing.
Quote by Freepower
On the front page. There's also loads and loads of info in my sig. Enjoy.

If you haven't been playig that long and really want to learn by ear, do so. Get some of your favourite tunes and start figuring them out. That'd be a great start.

And get writing your own music ASAP. That's the most important thing of all.

That's the one part I struggle with greatly, ideas for music etc. Maybe I haven't put my mind to it enough but I'm guessing it isn't something that should be forced. I love music so much and the guitar especially...I also feel the only real way to play a song with emotion is if it's a cover of a song that has inspired you or if it's music you've made yourself, and of course you can't do covers forever, it feels a bit like all the good stuff has already been done, however I am of course going to look past that feeling and be determined. I'm just lacking in making my own stuff, maybe I still need to take a lot of inspiration and simply get better at my instrument first before I can put things down...

...while we're at it, has anyone got any song writing tips, whether it's best to do words, or music first, how you usually come about making a song in teh first place, how the process usually pans out etc.

Quote by edg
Trust yourself. It sounds like you feel like you're on the outside looking in. The feeling
is talking to you. It's actually a VERY good thing. Everybody just wants to be like
everybody else. To "fit" in. But just look at the world. Its filled with people who have
never had a single original thought enter their head (well, actually they have, they just
ignore them). Look inside yourself to find where you fit.

The single biggest skill you need to get you where you want to go is practice skill. That's
the only real secret to guitar. Aside from the mechanical aspect, real practice skill will
open your awareness to what makes you YOU. When you know that, you can connect
with it and let it out in your playing.

On the subject of that I heard someone say something (I think his name is David Sancious?? He was in a video with Clapton) he was on piano at the time, he was saying once you come to "master your instrument" to some degree it feels as natural as talking, and that it just flows out and you can "say" what you're feeling without thinking about it...that's the feeling I long for, to be able to talk, cry and be happy through my guitar.
Last edited by Eight_Ball at Jan 9, 2009,
That's the one part I struggle with greatly, ideas for music etc. Maybe I haven't put my mind to it enough but I'm guessing it isn't something that should be forced.

I think you're overestimating how much effort it actually is to start writing, you could have something new by the end of an hour without really trying.

I'm just lacking in making my own stuff, maybe I still need to take a lot of inspiration and simply get better at my instrument first before I can put things down...

That's just fear talking. Get writing.

...while we're at it, has anyone got any song writing tips, whether it's best to do words, or music first, how you usually come about making a song in teh first place, how the process usually pans out etc.

There are no rules. There REALLY are no rules, and that's what's awesome. Why not do some words now? Or some music? Find out how you make songs now.

You'll probably find that the process differs from song to song, but you always have to start somewhere.
Quote by Eight_Ball

On the subject of that I heard someone say something (I think his name is David Sancious?? He was in a video with Clapton) he was on piano at the time, he was saying once you come to "master your instrument" to some degree it feels as natural as talking, and that it just flows out and you can "say" what you're feeling without thinking about it...that's the feeling I long for, to be able to talk, cry and be happy through my guitar.

I understand what you long for, i long for that, ive been playing for only a couple years and i am emotionally attached somewhat. It takes the late night hours of practice learning/composing a new song. finally improvising over a grooving chord progression. It just takes time, you got to be patient and enjoy every moment. check out the lessons on this site, and try to find a teacher you like, that you can connect to. and whatever he tells you just practice it over and over until your sick of it then branch out to learn stuff on your own, and get the most out of your lessons. Good luck man, you've been through a lot already and with your attitude it seems like you can be really commited
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Elitist Paul Mccartney Texan
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Valvetronix AD 30
Vox V847 Wah
Metal Muff EQ (broken )
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal

Me playing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0unpDZFIWA
Quote by Eight_Ball
I'm just lacking in making my own stuff, maybe I still need to take a lot of

inspiration and simply get better at my instrument first before I can put things down...

Hey Man, Well first of all I am very glad to hear that you are healthy now. On that subject, I think that if you have the guts and courage to make it through a prolonged period fighting a life threatening illness, then you will have no problem at all having the staying power to get where you want to be with the guitar! You just have to give it time and the hard work required.

Anyway, the whole thing about feeling that you have to make a certain amount of progress with the instrument before you can write anything. Simply not true!

I'm lucky enough to be the father to two boys ages 5, and 1 1/2. One of the things I've learned a lot from this is watching how people learn when they are very young. Take talking for example. Baby's born, all they can do is cry, parents dont sleep for several months. Then there are all these goo's and ga's. Then goo's and ga's that sound a bit more like words. Then goo's and ga's with the odd word mixed in. Then jargoning, whole sentences of perfectly meaningful sounding nonsense. And so on.

The thing is that they don't wait until they have this perfect 10,000 word vocabulary until they say anything. They learn a little bit, try it out. Learn a bit more, try that out. And on, and on, until all that trying out results in the 10000 word vocabulary, not the other way around. That's how learning a musical instrument should be. It's us as adults and older kids who place all these inhibitions on ourselves by feeling we have to learn all this stuff before even trying anything, because we don't learn as naturally as young kids. But it doesn't have to be like that at all. Just pick that sucker up and mess around and see what you can come up with. It doesn't have to sound great. It won't. Dont worry about that. But keep that up for several years, while in parallel learning everything you can from all the music around you, and you'll see!

Best of luck with it!