Poll: Which budget guitar? Epiphone G-310 SG or Fender Squire Fat Strat
Poll Options
View poll results: Which budget guitar? Epiphone G-310 SG or Fender Squire Fat Strat
Epiphone G-310 SG
7 37%
Fender Squire Fat Strat
8 42%
Other, please state
4 21%
Voters: 19.
I've been practicing like mad on the acoustic I bought and now I want to get an electric. One of the reasons besides actually wanting an electric, is that I can practice with people in the living room and it doesn't disturb my flatmates. Just don't plug it in or stick in the headphones.

Anyway I'm think of one or these two...which would the people here recommend?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Black-and-Chrome-Fat-Strat-Electric-Guitar-103212932-i1147427.gc?CJAID=10449560&CJPID=1759905

or

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-G-310-SG-Electric-Guitar-518280-i1149969.gc?CJAID=10449560&CJPID=1759905

Thanks
I'd say it depends on the music you play. I own an epiphone and I have had no issues with it.

You're going to get a different sound out of each, you should you tube each guitar and listen to them to see what you like.
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
Also, you're not buying an amp? Did I understand you correctly? You do understand that while it's not as resonant, an electric still sounds like a guitar without it being plugged in, right?
Epiphone SG
Crate V-18 212
Xaviere XV-500
Boss PS-5 SUPER Shifter
Digitech Bad Monkey

SWINE FLU FREE SINCE 1974
I find Epiphones to be better at budget prices.

Or try an Agile, as you could find that even better for the same price.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SQU327602

I'd say go with the Squier Tele Custom. One of the best budget guitars out there as far as I'm concerned. I got this as a Christmas gift and it's everything I could have asked for as someone who is still learning. That and I've yet to see a negative opinion on this thing.

But, if' you're set on those two, I'd probably go for the G-310.
yeah the 310 sucks ass hair

I had one and :
frets wire cut my hands
electronics die in a week
the wood was light and as strong as a waffle cracker
never stay in tune

that guitar almost made me wanna give up on music

I sold it and got me a MIM tele loved it

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
I'd say shop used and go for a MIM strat or tele.
2002 Muddy Waters Fender Telecaser (MIM) (w/ Bill Lawrence pickups & black matte pickguard)
2006 Ibanez sz520qm (w/ Grover tuners)
Epiphone DR-100

Traynor YCV50-Blue
Toneport GX / Ampltube 2
Quote by MoroneSaxatilis
Also, you're not buying an amp? Did I understand you correctly? You do understand that while it's not as resonant, an electric still sounds like a guitar without it being plugged in, right?

Yeah but it's a lot quieter than an acoustic. I was going to buy an amp, yeah. Thought about getting a Squire Fat Strat Pack.

Or should I stay away from packages?
I recommend looking for a used Fender or a used Epiphone on your craigslist.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
I'd like to agree with the "buy used Fender or slightly higher-quality Epiphone" vote.

I honestly can't say that either of the two are good quality, but as far as I know, Epiphone has a decent track record as far as budget guitars go. However, if you won't buy used, try buying a guitar from this website:
www.rondomusic.com
they sell guitar brands that are, well, very uncommon, but the quality is usually better than the name-brand counterpart.
I have no regrets with my Squier Affinity strat pack. I bought it for $250 (US) in late '07. Comes with the Strat and a fender starter amp, tuner and few other little things. My purchase was kind of an impulse buy since I just decided to pick up guitar. I have expensive taste when it comes to my hobbies and I'm very willing to pay for quality. I didn't spend a lot of money on this setup because I didn't know whether or not I would really take to the guitar. The guy at my local GC told me to go by what feels good since it's my first guitar. The strat just felt better to me compared to the epiphone combo I was comparing it too.

The Squier packs I've seen differ a little here and there. You can get one for $50 cheaper with a Squier amp. Squiers tend to get a tuff rap here. I belive quality is hit and miss. I feel I got lucky with mine. After adjusting a few things, I'm kind of pleased with what it's able to do with my limited abilities. I've only been playing a little over a year, so take that for what it's worth.

I intend to graduate to a MIM strat or deluxe eventually after I upgrade my amp.
If you do go for the Fender trying going for the Fender Squier Standard Fat Strat avoid affinity and bullet models
Quote by Xoth
I'd like to agree with the "buy used Fender or slightly higher-quality Epiphone" vote.

I honestly can't say that either of the two are good quality, but as far as I know, Epiphone has a decent track record as far as budget guitars go. However, if you won't buy used, try buying a guitar from this website:
www.rondomusic.com
they sell guitar brands that are, well, very uncommon, but the quality is usually better than the name-brand counterpart.

This is also good advice. I think if you look for a used Epiphone, for a little more like $250, maybe $300, you could find one of the higher quality Epiphones, and maybe if you haggle the price too if you find one.

I have one of those Squier Starter Packs too by the way with the affinity strat. I don't really like that guitar that much. I can play on it, but the neck finish is not as good as my MIM Strat. And the squier amp sucked by the way.

Also playing the electric guitar unplugged isn't much fun I think.. I mean you should at least get an amp and use headphones, but I don't know how big your budget is. An amp would be additional cost obviously.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer