Would this be the place to get tone advice?

I've been asked to learn "Enter Sandman" (Metallica) by a friend who wants some help playing it so naturally i obliged. Now this may not seem like a problem to many, but i'm a blues man and i like tone!

This is where the problem lies, i know nothing about Heavy Rock/Metal playing or tone really. If i post a quick youtube vid of some heavy tone and some poor playing will you guys give me advice on eq, distortion etc. to get the right tone?

x
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Adrian89
bass 7, treble 6 mid 3 gain 7-8 and.. humbuckers

Now humbuckers are where i fall down i suppose!

My single coils sound a bit too bright.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
For metal distortion you want a 'scooped mids' sound. Which is bass and treble high (7-10) and mids low (5-0) adjust these to personal preference. Look in the ultimate settings thread also

EDIT: with single coils make the treble a little less than the bass.
Quote by boreamor
Ah very good point. Charlie__flynn, you've out smarted me

People
should
smile
more

crit4crit on 'acoustic 1 (with piano)' here

Rate my playing skills please.
Chorus
Quote by JeanMi36
Back when I was a teen, I was making out with this girl, when I had the bright idea of putting my hand inside her panties.

She had her period.

I'm scarred for life
It doesn't matter at all - you can play the song with whatever tone you want, the amp settings have absolutely no bearing on HOW the song is played.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Adrian89
pff..... you cant take another guitar?

Wish i had another guitar, sold my flying V for the precise reason that i didn't use it. It's a bit extraordinary for me to play really heavy stuff.

So scooped mids, slightly increased bass and a relatively ordinary amount of treble?

Gain at about 80 - 90 % on a Mesa Boogie rectifier model? I gave up on using my blues junior it was tooooo bright and i couldn't get anywhere near.

?

Quote by steven seagull
It doesn't matter at all - you can play the song with whatever tone you want, the amp settings have absolutely no bearing on HOW the song is played.

I know this, i'd just like it to sound right! And i find that if i have the right sort of tone i'm more motivated to play and learn it which considering this song is out of my comfort zone is quite important.

x

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Jan 8, 2009,
Just whack the distortion up a bit - Motorhead covered the song and the guitar tone is nothing like the original. You just want enough gain so that the notes will sustain a while if you just hit a chord and let it ring.

You don't want scooped mids, the tone on the Black album is all crunch and crunch comes from midrange.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Just whack the distortion up a bit - Motorhead covered the song and the guitar tone is nothing like the original. You just want enough gain so that the notes will sustain a while if you just hit a chord and let it ring.

You don't want scooped mids, the tone on the Black album is all crunch and crunch comes from midrange.

Hmm shall have a go, cheers.

x

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
ya seriously, dont scoop your mids for tallica...were not talkin slipknot here.

but again its all preference. i like my mids right smack dab in the middle...for most applications. when i want a really heavy chuga chuga sound...bridge humbucker and somewhat scooped mids...

i wont go under 3 on the mids tho...personally
Quote by xXMetal-HeadXx
ya seriously, dont scoop your mids for tallica...were not talkin slipknot here.

but again its all preference. i like my mids right smack dab in the middle...for most applications. when i want a really heavy chuga chuga sound...bridge humbucker and somewhat scooped mids...

i wont go under 3 on the mids tho...personally

Yeah, i've had a play and just dropped them a tad to about 40%, increase the bass to 70% and the highs are at about 50% give a pretty balanced tone when you consider i'm using vintage output single coils!

I've also used a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier amp model, but instead of using the gain stage on the amp model it's running just crunchy, then boosted by a Blues OD. It's got me as close as i want to / am going to get.

Thanks for all of the help and advice guys.

x

Quote by Ghold125
just google search metallica settings for your gt8

I did but i've lost my midi cable so i can't directly upload them to it and also i find that generally they are very gear specific. I'm sure they sound right on the equipment they were written on but i've never had any great results. It's a shame really.

x

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Jan 8, 2009,