ok. so i was thinking about build ing an LP. i would be using a solid mohagony body with a maple top. now, is there special wood just for guitars? like wood that resonates better or something? or can i just go to the lumber yard and buy any old hunk of mohagonay? does the same thing apply to the top? and also, does anybody know where, or if, i can get a piece of flamed maple for the top?

thanx in advanced!
The Best Floyd Rose Is A Setup Floyd Rose!

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
03 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock Speedloader
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Quote by Demonn
mahogany is really ****in' heavy

i know thats how i like my LPs, thick and heavy.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
You need dried mahogany & maple with an extremely low moisture content! Gibson ages teir wood for years in climate controlled conditions to accomplish this. You could opt for either larger kiln dried pieces that are large enough for 2 piece body/top or laminate smaller pieces together until your blank is big enough. If you have too much moisture, the body will deform (warp) or possibly split later when the moisture dries out.
Moving on.....
so where can i get dried woods from? are the body blanks from warmoth.com dried?

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
What are you gouys talking about?

As Telemetal said, buy your wood from LP Addict. In most situations he would be quite correct.

Excpept, in your case, because you have a lumber yard, get it there. Any wood that has been kiln dried is fine. Below 13% moisture content is best I believe, but if it has been kiln dried you're all good.

As for different pieces of wood being more resonant... pick up a piece, rap on it with your knuckles, if it sounds good, buy it.

(Here is a hint: They all sound similar)

Provided the wood is structuraly sound, just buy it, work, make it a guitar.

PS: When I say "any wood" I mean any wood suitable for making guitars!

As for the neck wood, stick to the tried and true species, and try to get quatersawn wood if you aren't going to be doing laminates or something.

EDIT: And you can probably find a piece of figured maple suitable for a top. If not, click the link in my sig to LP Addict.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Last edited by Øttər at Jan 8, 2009,
how much would one of those chuncks set me back? i can get bot the mohogany and the maple for around $85 at my lumber supplier(its not relly a lumber YARD per say. just a store). and how much for a nice maple (flamed?) top? it prolly gonna be painted solid over so its not gotta look amazing.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
Why would you care about figure at all if you're painting it?

Just get regular maple...
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
well im either gonna do a zack wylde bullzye, or a '59 burst. if i do the '59 it will need to be some AAAA flamed maple cuz i will want it to look amazing! but if i do the bullzeye i would only need regular maple.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
You should decide before you make a purchase.

Not only would it be a shame to waste AAAA flame maple under paint, but it will cost a lot more than plain maple.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
i was just looking for a price guesstament. the maple from my wood store is just plain maple. although they do have the curly maple.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
oh. and where do i get flamed maple? i havent found it in any wood suppliers by me.

Gear:
STARcaster Strat
Dean Tradition Acoustic
Xaviere XV-599
Epi 1984 Explorer
Crate GTD65
Epi Valve Jr
Bogner Alchemist Head
Marshall 1960B
LP Addict in my sig is UGs wood man.

If he's too busy, nuthinbuttrubl8 in my sig is UGs less known but still awesome wood man.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo