is this a good amp? i would like to upgrade from my spider 2, and i want to know if this purchase is even worth it. if possible, how much better is it then the spider 2 on a scale of one to ten
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Silverburst Epiphone Les Paul Custom
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Ibanez TS9DX Turbo Tube Screamer
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
I wouldn't buy it, seeing as there's much better amps going, particularly in the Marshall category.
I don't know the spider2, but I know the valvestate and it's a pretty bad sounding amp. I guess you are looking at a used one, right? Unless you need something loud for really cheap, stay away from it.

If you tell us your budget and what music you play, we can recommend something else.
We'd also need to know if it's for home use / band practice / gigging.
Quote by TheQuailman
I don't know the spider2, but I know the valvestate and it's a pretty bad sounding amp. I guess you are looking at a used one, right? Unless you need something loud for really cheap, stay away from it.

If you tell us your budget and what music you play, we can recommend something else.
We'd also need to know if it's for home use / band practice / gigging.

classic rock is always fun, most of the bands i would like to play used a marshall, but there to expensive for good ones. 200-250 maybe, i can go higher, but id like to stay there for now
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Not worth the money imo, they sound horribly muddy and feed back like a bitch
Try and get a Valveking used
ohai little sig.
Quote by fender4482
classic rock is always fun, most of the bands i would like to play used a marshall, but there to expensive for good ones. 200-250 maybe, i can go higher, but id like to stay there for now

Problem is, the valvestate isn't very good. Tinny and mushy is how I'd describe it. Sorry dude.
look for a b-52 at-112 on craigslist

if not that, then a valveking. Better to save up than to buy a piece of SH!T
My gear:
PRS SE custom
~!~--Peavey XXX super 40 EFX --~!~
Peavey VK 112

===WGS Vet30
===JJ power tubes

---Pedals:
-ISP Decimator
-Digitech Bad Monkey
-Crybaby wah
-Korg Pitchblack
-Danelectro FnC EQ
You could try the Vox VT series:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT15-15W-1x8-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483551
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-VT30-30W-1x10-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=483552

The VT30 will even be loud enough for band practice, the VT15 most likely won't. I haven't played them because they are fairly new, but the predecessors, the Vox AD series, was extremely nice and very good at crunch sounds, great for classic rock and related styles. Extremely versatile, too.

If volume is not an issue though, check out the Ibanez Valbee. It is a 5w tube amp made mostly for rock. It doesn't sound too much like a marshall, but it's great anyway and worth a look. Might very well worth for you.

You might also look at used Line6 Flextones or used Vox AD series amps. If you're lucky you might even score a Vox AD50, which will even be loud enough for most gigging situations. It's big speaker is also a bonus.

Quote by fender4482

Sorry, i never had the chance to try it. There is a lot of arguing about it on UG though, some say it's great for the price, others say it is total crap. I don't know man, but trying it out sure can't hurt.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Jan 8, 2009,
Quote by Demonikk
A lot better, and 5W tube is surprisingly loud
I'd get an EQ pedal too though, it looks a bit limited

but is this a big step up from the line 6 spider 2, not watt size, sounding i mean
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
Quote by fender4482
but is this a big step up from the line 6 spider 2, not watt size, sounding i mean

Huge step up
Sorry for late reply, new series of Family Guy was on
ohai little sig.
Quote by Demonikk
Huge step up
Sorry for late reply, new series of Family Guy was on

hah, i cant blame you for being late to reply. i love that show
MY GEAR!
Amp
-Peavey Classic 30
Guitars
-Squier Stratocaster
Pedals
-Fender PT-100
-MXR Phase 90
-Fuzz Face Clone
-MXR Carbon Copy
I disagree with most people in this thread. First of all, tone from an amp is a very subjective thing, so asking a question like "is this a good amp?" is similar to asking "what is the best color?". There are many tube snobs on this forum (sorry if I offend anyone, but it's true) who won't even consider anything without valves, which is ridiculous considering that many albums these days are recorded with software amp emulation.

I have a Marshall 8100 amp (older version of the VS100) and 1960a cabinet, and I think it sounds fantastic. I gigged with it for many years and I always received compliments on the tone. The other guitarist in my old band bought a VS100, and I thought it sounded very similar to the 8100. I keep reading about how the old 8100s are so much better than the VS100s, but I honestly couldn't hear a big difference. I think this is a case of one person stating something, and everyone else regurgitating it.

Finally, these amps have been used by successful metal recording artists. The late Chuck Schuldiner of Death used an 8100 exclusively, and Dino Cazares (formerly of Fear Factory, now with Divine Heresy) uses a 100W Valvestate head (he doesn't specify which series). If the tone is good enough for these successful metal guitarists, I think it could work for you. Don't let a few people on a message board talk you out of considering it.
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Marshall 8100 "Valvestate" Head
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Please check out my guitar cover videos on YouTube:
www.youtube.com/killrbuckeye
If your not gigging I think that Marshall you listed would be complete overkill.
This gets very good Marshall tones on a budget, 20 watts, 12 inch speaker.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/msg/964166083.html Crate VC 2112 series in budget.
Just thought I would throw that out there. Good luck.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by KillrBuckeye
I disagree with most people in this thread. First of all, tone from an amp is a very subjective thing, so asking a question like "is this a good amp?" is similar to asking "what is the best color?". There are many tube snobs on this forum (sorry if I offend anyone, but it's true) who won't even consider anything without valves, which is ridiculous considering that many albums these days are recorded with software amp emulation.

I have a Marshall 8100 amp (older version of the VS100) and 1960a cabinet, and I think it sounds fantastic. I gigged with it for many years and I always received compliments on the tone. The other guitarist in my old band bought a VS100, and I thought it sounded very similar to the 8100. I keep reading about how the old 8100s are so much better than the VS100s, but I honestly couldn't hear a big difference. I think this is a case of one person stating something, and everyone else regurgitating it.

Finally, these amps have been used by successful metal recording artists. The late Chuck Schuldiner of Death used an 8100 exclusively, and Dino Cazares (formerly of Fear Factory, now with Divine Heresy) uses a 100W Valvestate head (he doesn't specify which series). If the tone is good enough for these successful metal guitarists, I think it could work for you. Don't let a few people on a message board talk you out of considering it.

true, i don't have a problem with my marshall AVT 100, it can be dodgy at higher volumes i admit, but i think for a band practice it would be ok.

its all about trying to adjust the settings, sure you won't get an amazing amazing tone but i think it's acceptable.

Gibson LP studio,
Fender 2005 Aerodyne Strat,
Ibanez GAX 70
JVM 410C
@Killrbuckeye: As important as the points you mentioned are (especially the first one), I have to say: It's obvious that tastes differ. There are people who like Marshall Valvestate amps, but on the other hand, there are also people who like being kicked in the nuts - if you like it, fine. Yet I wouldn't encourage anyone to do the latter because I think it's a bad idea. And I certainly won't encourage anyone to buy an amplifier that I think is horrible (yes, it is far beyond bad imo, indeed horrible).

The problem with solid state Marshalls is that when you are inexperienced, they actually sound good to you. But when you start developing an ear for tone, you will hear all it's shortcomings.
not trying to steal this thread or anything, but whats a good tube amp with a "marshall" tone. preferably a low wattage one as I'm on using one as practice. are the tiny terrors good for that?
Quote by TheQuailman
@Killrbuckeye: As important as the points you mentioned are (especially the first one), I have to say: It's obvious that tastes differ. There are people who like Marshall Valvestate amps, but on the other hand, there are also people who like being kicked in the nuts - if you like it, fine. Yet I wouldn't encourage anyone to do the latter because I think it's a bad idea. And I certainly won't encourage anyone to buy an amplifier that I think is horrible (yes, it is far beyond bad imo, indeed horrible).

The problem with solid state Marshalls is that when you are inexperienced, they actually sound good to you. But when you start developing an ear for tone, you will hear all it's shortcomings.
Well I guess according to you I still don't have an ear for tone after 14 years of playing. I guess Chuck Schuldiner and Dino Cazares also don't share your refined ear for tone. Regardless of what you think, there are many people who are quite happy with the sound of this amp. Why not let the OP decide for himself?
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Quote by nonamesleftWTF
not trying to steal this thread or anything, but whats a good tube amp with a "marshall" tone. preferably a low wattage one as I'm on using one as practice. are the tiny terrors good for that?

Which marshall tone? There are a lot of different ones. For a JCM800-type tone, I'd suggest a Peavey Windsor (be aware the tubes are mediocre at best and the speaker is kinda lacking).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by nonamesleftWTF

Depends which Marshall tone you're referring to. If you're referring to 80s Marshall "crunch", kinda like Judas Priest, AC/DC, Iron Maiden, that sort of thing, that's called the Marshall JCM800, and the amp I have (the Traynor custom valve 50) does that pretty good, and so does the Peavey Classic 30 and Peavey Classic 50. All of these amps are quite loud though, I mean it's 50 watts of tube power. It can be played at low volumes, but they can go quite loud.

That's just one type of Marshall tone, the 80s JCM800 crunch. There's other types of Marshall tone of course.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Quote by KillrBuckeye
Well I guess according to you I still don't have an ear for tone after 14 years of playing.

Not necessarily. But you definitely have a rather uncommon taste.

Quote by KillrBuckeye
I guess Chuck Schuldiner and Dino Cazares also don't share your refined ear for tone. Regardless of what you think, there are many people who are quite happy with the sound of this amp. Why not let the OP decide for himself?

I don' know Chuck's tone (yeah, I know I probably should) but Dino Cazares' tone is somewhere between 'mediocre' and 'painful' to me. I can see why a guy like him would like the AVT though; it does cut through the mix excellently, no matter how much you down-tune. But it still doesn't sound good.

That some artists use(d) that amp doesn't mean much. Dimebag Darrel had a tone that most guitarists wouldn't want, yet he was famous. Wayne Static uses Marshall MG stacks for his music, but that still does not mean I have to like them.
Valvestates OWN with a speaker change, easily the best hybrid in their price range.

But with that speaker change, a valveking is in reach
Quote by konigstiger
PCSpeaker is right,

Damn right I am.

Bugera 333xl > Crybaby Wah > Marshall Guv'Nor > Boss SD1 > J&D Les Paul / Vintage Lemon Drop / Modded HSH Squier / Vintage Warp / Standard Squier Strat /Tanglewood Acoustic!
What about a ceriatone JCM800?

Its all tube, excact schematic as the Marshall 2203/2204 and cheaper. Avaliable in kit form is wanted. Not sure about price though compared with the valvestate. All the exchane rates are fcked up also so even more confusing
Gear List:
Ibanez S320
Lavey LV200
Squier Stratocaster Affinity HSS
No-Name Wesley Fat Strat copy
Peavey Rage 158
Just try it.

Valvestate sound so much better then mg's IMO.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
[...snip...]
Quote by TheQuailman
Not necessarily. But you definitely have a rather uncommon taste.
[...snip...]

To be fair, who really wants to be and sound "common"?

This thread is misleading, Marshall Valvestate 8100 get rave reviews and are used by many professional players. This amp produces phenomenal hard rock and metal sounds. If you don't like that genre, then this amp just isn't for you. It's not for everyone, but to call it "horrible" is just plain newb. It's a rockin amp.

Here are couple of other bands that use/used it

Static X
Rob Zombie
Prong

Just to name a few.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Quote by MrSandMan
[...snip...] [...snip...]

To be fair, who really wants to be and sound "common"?

This thread is misleading, Marshall Valvestate 8100 get rave reviews and are used by many professional players. This amp produces phenomenal hard rock and metal sounds. If you don't like that genre, then this amp just isn't for you. It's not for everyone, but to call it "horrible" is just plain newb. It's a rockin amp.

Here are couple of other bands that use/used it

Static X
Rob Zombie
Prong

Just to name a few.

To put it that way:
Pics or it didn't happen.

I've seen people claim Zakk Wylde and Kerry King play MGs, too. And that they can "Get a perfect tone" out of those amps.
Quote by JilaX^
To put it that way:

I've seen people claim Zakk Wylde and Kerry King play MGs, too. And that they can "Get a perfect tone" out of those amps.
I'm not sure why it's so hard for people to accept that some artists are perfectly happy with the sound they get from SS / modeling amps. I have links supporting the list of artists I mentioned who used the Valvestate amps. I'm not sure about MrSandMan's list, but I easily found links to several articles where Wayne Static talks about using Marshall solid state amps. One of the articles is even from U-G.
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

I have an old valvestate for messing around with, it isnt bad, to me its better than the spiders cos i HATE digital modelling soo much i wanna scream.
If its cheap, then hell yeah go for it, but in another year (or less) you'll get fed up and want to replace it, so ide probably wait and get something abit better
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by lorrythebassguy
If its cheap, then hell yeah go for it, but in another year (or less) you'll get fed up and want to replace it, so ide probably wait and get something abit better
I used my 8100 for many years and never got "fed up" with it. Also, the amp modeling that you hate so much is used on more and more recordings these days. Chances are you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. Maybe you hated your Spider amp, but it's unfair to base your opinion of digital amp modeling on your experience with a single combo amp.
ESP KH-2
Washburn X50 Pro FE
ESP LTD M-107
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Mashall 1960A 4x12 cab
Line6 POD X3

Quote by JilaX^
To put it that way:

Here is the Marshall Valvestate 8100 live in action
Prong "Snap your Fingers" (live) - You can even see him adjust the EQ before the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RWNAFC1CJ4

EDIT:
Here are a couple more videos of this amp in action (amature playing and recording)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbSoa78MQg
&
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcoNbY6RH9I&feature=related

Enjoy
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Last edited by MrSandMan at Feb 2, 2009,