I have this really complex song I'm working on all mapped out in my head with guitar drum and bass parts and every effect I'm going to use, but I don't have access to a drum set or proper equipment, so this is the basic idea of the song on GarageBand. It's just my Strat with the GB effects.

The song is also going to lead into another song I have already written which you'll hear the first riff of that song right at the very end. It's pretty cool how it's gonna work out. It's for my band Event.Horizon (link in the sig) and we're recording our EP this month. I'll post it when it's done.

Criticism is very appreciated. will c4c

EDIT- Dammit, I always forget to put the link.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/guitarkid2113/

It's tentatively called Corduroy Pants.
Last edited by guitarkid2113 at Jan 8, 2009,
It sounds pretty good,

however, I can pick out a few flaws:

Your bends are out of tune,

The song appears to have no structure, just stopping and going into random part after part.

And lay off the effects, its the playing that makes it, not the effects in it.

Positive:
The layering of parts at 1:50 would sounds lush.
All of the riffs are good, but the structure overall brings this down.

I hope I didn't sound too mean, but it was all with the good intentions of construction.
Listen to my band - www.myspace.com/theacidiks
Fender MIM P Bass - Badass II Bridge, Seymour Duncan (Basslines) SPB-3 - Strings 55-115 (Standard Tuning)
EHX Big Bass Muff
Ashdown MAG 300 2-10T
Epiphone G-400 (.11-.52)
LGBT
Quote by kingofchilis
It sounds pretty good,

however, I can pick out a few flaws:

Your bends are out of tune,

The song appears to have no structure, just stopping and going into random part after part.

And lay off the effects, its the playing that makes it, not the effects in it.

Positive:
The layering of parts at 1:50 would sounds lush.
All of the riffs are good, but the structure overall brings this down.

I hope I didn't sound too mean, but it was all with the good intentions of construction.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I just put on some new strings and they may have been stretching a bit, but it's real rough as you can tell.

How would you presume to fix the song structure? I like the way I linked that last jazzy kinda riff with the delayed notes that echo, and then go into the delay riff.

But I just don't know how else to put it all together. I've been listening a lot to the Mars Volta and Fall of Troy and in songs like A Man.A Plan.A Canal.Panama they just seem to go into other parts without having to layer a ton of effects on it. And in some TMV songs, they just have open space with talking or cars driving by. I might try to do some ambient things where I'll just record footsteps or water dropping or something of that sort. Maybe record some soap operas and tape loop them and speed them up and such. What do you think?
Last edited by guitarkid2113 at Jan 8, 2009,
song sounds pretty good man.

I'll be curious to hear it with the drums and bass added
Ambience is very good,

Try doing a musical bridge, or rallendo into slower parts etc.

I was reminded of Pink Floyd in some of the parts, give them a listen for some influence ideas etc.

They go from section to section very well. Notable songs, Shine on you crazy diamond, Echoes, Another Brick In the Wall, Marooned, etc.

I wouldn't record anything that has already been done, could lead to some nasty lawsuit,

Instead make your own ambience up, write a script or something for talking, it all adds to your own creativity!

Also, are you going to be writing lyrics for this song? YOu shoudl think about that as well.
Listen to my band - www.myspace.com/theacidiks
Fender MIM P Bass - Badass II Bridge, Seymour Duncan (Basslines) SPB-3 - Strings 55-115 (Standard Tuning)
EHX Big Bass Muff
Ashdown MAG 300 2-10T
Epiphone G-400 (.11-.52)
LGBT