how long does an average guitar player practise for?
The names griffin.......stewie griffin. Dont ever let me catch you in quohog.....
As good as you want to be. I'd recommend at least an hour or 2 a day.
as long as they want?

For me it depends on the day and whether the house is empty.
Average Day: 2 hours of guitar, 1.5 hours on bass

That's mainly because I have a class where all I do is chill out in the music room at my school giving me (give or take) an hour and a half of guitar, then right after, I have music class, where I play bass all the way into, and sometimes through lunch. When i get home, after I eat/do homework/watch TV/go on the computer, it's another hour of guitar, and sometimes some bass.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Quote by tuwyci
why are metal musicians prone to fatness?
Cause there music is heavy.

Writing music is hard D:
As long as you can. As long as you have time for. try to do something every day. maybe half an hour today but 3 hours tomorrow. Just practice reguraly and it doesnt really matter that much how much time you put into it.

oh and make sure you practice the right stuff.
see i was thinking about 5 hrs but i didn't think that was right. also what stuff should i practice?
The names griffin.......stewie griffin. Dont ever let me catch you in quohog.....
Quote by AeRoSmItH13
see i was thinking about 5 hrs but i didn't think that was right. also what stuff should i practice?

depends on how advanced you are and what styles and stuff you actually want to learn.
I saw Steve Vai on a youtube video of him giving a lecture at MI in Los Angeles, and he was pretty much saying that you have to practice 12 hours, guitar has to be the only thing that matters, practice 'x' for 2 hours, 'y' for 3...huh? Don't get me wrong, I like to Steve Vai, but you are not him. You don't need to practice for 12 hours, or even 5! Nobody can tell YOU what you need to practice, only you can decide what your goals are, and how you can achieve them. Do you want to shred? Spend time doing technical work. Or do you want to write music and improvise Incorporate some theory and ear training in.

Two tips though-
1. Make sure you have a good balance between technical exercises and the more 'fun', creative aspects to prevent burning yourself out.
2. Don't practice so much that you hurt yourself. This is a step backwards in terms of improvement anyway, since if you injure your tendons you'll have to rest for a few days!
Quote by Myung-trucci
I saw Steve Vai on a youtube video of him giving a lecture at MI in Los Angeles, and he was pretty much saying that you have to practice 12 hours, guitar has to be the only thing that matters, practice 'x' for 2 hours, 'y' for 3...huh? Don't get me wrong, I like to Steve Vai, but you are not him. You don't need to practice for 12 hours, or even 5! Nobody can tell YOU what you need to practice, only you can decide what your goals are, and how you can achieve them. Do you want to shred? Spend time doing technical work. Or do you want to write music and improvise Incorporate some theory and ear training in.

Two tips though-
1. Make sure you have a good balance between technical exercises and the more 'fun', creative aspects to prevent burning yourself out.
2. Don't practice so much that you hurt yourself. This is a step backwards in terms of improvement anyway, since if you injure your tendons you'll have to rest for a few days!

yeah i want to be as good as being to impress ppl and be able to play fast so how long and what should i play?
how long? couple of years would do... If you are just starting out. Just do the basics and get them right. www.justingguitar.com learn the basics like the palm of your hand. After that expand your knowledge with more chords, scales, techniques whatever. Make sure to practice slowly.

If you want to be good in a short amount of time. Put all your time and effort into it. You should play as much s you want to play and as much as you think you need to play to get things down. Don't overdo it tho. you don't want carpel tunnel and you don't want to get bored paying the guitar.
What's an average guitar player? How good do you need to be to impress people? How fast do you want to play? How fast do you want to reach this point?

There's no easy answers here sorry. Just have fun practicing, and practice as much as you feel like.
Quote by Myung-trucci
I saw Steve Vai on a youtube video of him giving a lecture at MI in Los Angeles, and he was pretty much saying that you have to practice 12 hours,

I'm only guessing here, but I believe he practices that long because he LOVES to
practice.

The thing is, if you're good at practicing, know where you want to go and how to
get there, and enjoy learning and conquering your limitations, practicing is very
enjoyable and a lot of fun. I could do it all day long. Not to mention, you get
REALLY good at playing.

At the heart of these "how long?" questions is someone who just cares about
the finish line. The process -- practicing -- is a chore, burden and obstacle to the
goal. That's why they find it boring.

All I'd say if you find practice or any part of practice boring, then by all means do it
as little as possible. You're not getting that much out of it.
Tbh i have been playing guitar for about a year or so and i am still on the same rubbish easy songs, so what should i play?
Honestly, quality of practice is far more important than quantity. I think you can get more out of an hour of quality, focused practice than you can out of 3 hours of noodling, and aimlessly flitting from one thing to another.

But for the record - it varies due to whether work is kicking my ass or not, but for me about 1.5 hours on week nights, about 3-4 hrs on weekend days. About 5-6 days a week on average. When I have literally no time, usually due to having had to work late, I try to at least get 15 mins in, to try to at least maintain.
Last edited by se012101 at Jan 10, 2009,
I still havent seen the correct answer yet

The correct answer isn't how long you practice, it's what you practice and how seriously you take the practice. 30 minutes of dedicated work on a specific technique and then another 30 minutes practicing your improv or something is FAR better than 5 hours of mindless bull**** playing .

So here's how I would lay it out for you, I don't know your skill level, so bare with me:

10-30 Minutes - Warmups for your hand, stretching, picking hand, etc...
30 Minutes - Practice one specific technique you want to work on (sweep picking, tapping, alternate picking, economy picking, etc... or even working on your ear or your chords, or song writing.
30 Minutes - Learn a song or something.
30 Minutes - Improvise or work on another technique. But it's important to not do too much technique work, you might get frustrated and bored and fall out of love with the instrument. ALwasy leave some time for yourself and guitar.

EDIT: I do 2 to 2.5 hours of guitar every weekday, .5 hours of piano every weekday, and .5 hours of bass every weekday. Weekends when I'm not meeting with friends or doing schoolwork or work, the entire day.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
The Bible is awesome. Revelation is so badass, I mean, dragons and angels and the devil having an epic battle in the clouds? Badass.
Last edited by Shadow_Hawk at Jan 10, 2009,
I don't practice alot on weekdays at the moment because i spend more time on piano and singing for school, but i play alot on weekends.