Page 1 of 2
Noticably, many guitarists in these genres have been emerging with increasing talent...Bands like My Chemical Romance, Escape The Fate, Bayside, and Coheed and Cambria (though they're more prog-rock than anything) have written songs with guitar solos and increasingly technical riffs.

Discuss who you think is the best of the pop-punk and emo guitarists. My vote would have to go to Escape The Fate; their sweep parts (especially in songs like This War Is Ours) baffle my fingers and mind
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
This Town Needs Guns is debatably emo (the Mineral, American Football, etc. kind), and have ridiculously complex guitar work.

YouTube them and you will see.
I would have to say escape the fate also.
They're guitarist is a beast at sweeps, and i notice the new album has alot of pinch harmonics and other cool techniques.
not to mention hes a cool dude. Ive met him twice and chated for a few hours with him
My Chem or ETF, definately. I think the guys in My Chem work really well together, and Monte's just a monster.
Ray Toro

whoever is the lead guitarist from JEW...he's quite good
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Well if you were to consider Fifteen pop punk Jeff Ott is really good.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Simple Plans Jeff Stinco if someon asks me pr ex-sum 41 member Dave there are some other
kick ass gutarist like Boys like Girls
Tom Delonge.

/joke.

Circa Survive? Matchbook Romance? Maybe not the most technical, but all the others I thought of have been said already.

Also, if we're counting Story of the Year, those guys can play guitar.
Quote by juancsego
i have a right to do anything with the least amount of activity possible and if u cant respect that u can go to japan and buy panties out of vending machines...communists

If you live in Australia, save your internet:

Click.
Micah Carli. Not technical, but a good guitarist
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Zebrahead.

They are pop punk, and they have a great guitarist.

I hate it when people consider "emo" as music.

"Emo" is a way of writing LYRICS, not the whole song.

The music is really pop punk, which is good. Its just that emo lyrics are annoying.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by tmfiore
Zebrahead.

They are pop punk, and they have a great guitarist.

I hate it when people consider "emo" as music.

"Emo" is a way of writing LYRICS, not the whole song.

The music is really pop punk, which is good. Its just that emo lyrics are annoying.

Fail

Emo has very little to do with the lyrics.

They guys from Four Year Strong are quite good.

██ ██
██ ██
██ ██

Quote by loxer
Fail

Emo has very little to do with the lyrics.

They guys from Four Year Strong are quite good.

Fail. yes it does.

If somebody wrote a pop punk song about skipping through a meadow while eating a sandwich at the same time, would that be emo? Obviously not.

If somebody wrote a pop punk song about how they think they don't belong in the world, hate everybody, have no friends, and want to cut themselves and say they want to die, would that be emo? Yes.

Emo is pop punk with certain lyrics, not a genre of music.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Quote by tmfiore
Fail. yes it does.

If somebody wrote a pop punk song about skipping through a meadow while eating a sandwich at the same time, would that be emo? Obviously not.

If somebody wrote a pop punk song about how they think they don't belong in the world, hate everybody, have no friends, and want to cut themselves and say they want to die, would that be emo? Yes.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=321632

I like the guitar work in anything Kinsella, The Fall Of Troy, Algernon Cadwallader, Circa Survive, Circle Takes The Square and mewithoutYou. Some post-hardcore there, but you get the point.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

Quote by tmfiore
Fail. yes it does.

No, you're wrong. Shut up.
Quote by tmfiore
Fail. yes it does.

You have no idea what either pop punk or emo are.
Quote by bassbeat77
I think Teppei Teranishi deserves a mention.

I think he deserves.....A STANDING OVATION.

*clap clap clap clap clap clap*
Quote by StreetLight3989
You have no idea what either pop punk or emo are.

Should I have to know what emo is?

No.

I do know what pop punk is, but the "emo" bands I have heard were pop punk-ish.
Quote by user_nameless

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
Quote by tmfiore

No.

Well you have to know what it is if you're going to tell other people what it is. Pop punk and emo are very different.
I'm pretty sure Saosin is somewhere in this thread so I'm gonna say them. Both their guitarists write some pretty crazy and technical riffs
I'm going to have to say Mineral. Oh, and emo isn't in the lyrics. It is DEFINITELY in song structure and the type of riffs used. Take American Football "emo" vs. say... Daggermouth "pop punk".
Quote by tmfiore

No.

Yes, because The Queers and Sunny Day Real Estate sound just like each other.
I HATE Escape the Fate, but I keep hearing people in here saying their guitarists are good. Can someone tell me one of their songs (OTHER than Situations) to listen to for good guitar work?
Mmm, My Apocalypse...

Go with This War Is Ours, too. It's just, like, woah.

The guitarists from Anberlin write some cool stuff.
Quote by saxaxe
I HATE Escape the Fate, but I keep hearing people in here saying their guitarists are good. Can someone tell me one of their songs (OTHER than Situations) to listen to for good guitar work?

We Won't Back Down and On To The Next One both have good classic rock-style guitar solos. Also, This War Is Ours (The Guillotine Part 2) is just...amazingly shredtastic and sweeptastic. 5 string sweep intros for the win!
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by nodice182
Tom Delonge.

/joke.

Circa Survive? Matchbook Romance? Maybe not the most technical, but all the others I thought of have been said already.

Also, if we're counting Story of the Year, those guys can play guitar.

No.
Quote by evanm31
Drive Like Jehu. Rick Froberg and John Reis. Freakin' awesome. Look up "Here Come The Roman Plows".

I wouldn't put them in this forum, but they are ****ing amazing. RFTC is better though.

I'm gonna give Devin Ocampo from Faraquet my vote. He plays some awesome ****, not to mention that he sings while he's playing it. Faraquet were really great, (IMO) one of the greatest widely overlooked bands.

Honorable Mentions: Hot Cross, Propagandhi
Quote by saxaxe

A lot of people like the guitar work in No sympathy for the dead.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by hardrock1315
I wouldn't put them in this forum, but they are ****ing amazing. RFTC is better though.

I'm gonna give Devin Ocampo from Faraquet my vote. He plays some awesome ****, not to mention that he sings while he's playing it. Faraquet were really great, (IMO) one of the greatest widely overlooked bands.

Honorable Mentions: Hot Cross, Propagandhi

Holy crap, thank you. Faraquet is amazing.
The guy from Escape the fate sucks at sweeps.... **** anyone could play those sweeps he plays, but he isn't a bad guitar player by any means.

I'd say the guys in My Chem are really good especially on the black perade.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
Has anyone said Claudio Sanchex and Travis Stevers yet?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
if Thrice counts, Teppei Teranishi for sure. He goes pretty tech on their first three albums.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by StreetLight3989
Well if you were to consider Fifteen pop punk Jeff Ott is really good.

This.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by Ace88
Has anyone said Claudio Sanchex and Travis Stevers yet?

They are more on the progressive side...
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
Page 1 of 2