Hey guys.

Eventually after I buy my recording setup, a bass practice amp, and a back-up strat, I want to upgrade my Epiphone SG by putting EMG's in it.

My question is which type of EMG's would be best for what I play.

REMEMBER: I am not getting these yet, I want to know in advance.

I play punk rock and pop punk with my band. I want EMG's that will give me a sound that sounds closest to Gibson SG pickups.

Which type would I get?

EMG-60

EMG-81

EMG-85

Once again, I want EMG's that would sound closest to the sound of a Gibson SG.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
EMG's wont sound like standard SG pick-ups. End of story I'm afraid.

They're designed specifically for pushing tube amps as far as they can go.

To make the most of you're guitar, you'd be much better off saving up and upgrading your amp with that money. That'll improve you're sound more than a pick up change. Especially as you're using an MG.
Last edited by rizo299 at Jan 8, 2009,
why dont you buy Gibson pick ups then?
No EMG's sound like SG pick ups
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by rizo299
EMG's wont sound like standard SG pick-ups. End of story I'm afraid.

They're designed specifically for pushing tube amps as far as they can go.

To make the most of you're guitar, you'd be much better off saving up and upgrading your amp with that money. That'll improve you're sound more than a pick up change. Especially as you're using an MG.

To prevent an argurement about my MG,

DO NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT MY AMP.

I can get a good sound out of it that is great for what I play, thats final. Nothing anybody says is going to make me get rid of it. I like it, and will keep it.

Anyway, I think I will stick with the Epiphone for now and eventually I will just go with a Gibson.

There are other things I need to buy in the mean time, like a basic recording setup, and a basic cheap bass setup, but the Gibson SG will be after that. Then I will be able to get a job, and then will get a Marshall JVM, okay?
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
stick with epi if you still want to use your MG (idk why you still want it but hey its my opinion).

the burstbuckers and the EMGs will only sound good if you play through a GOOD tube amp but if you play with your mg it wont change your sound that much.

and i think there are amps that are better than the JVMs look at other brands and check them out.
i never played a jvm but i think you could get your sound through an Orange rocker/rockerverb.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Jan 8, 2009,
ok, changing pickups will barely change the tone. Also adding active EMG's and a SS amp is not the best idea
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"