Hi.
I got a guitar about 2 weeks ago and I can play some basic chords: E, E#, A, A#, C, D, G, E5, A5, G5, C5 and I can play notes reasonably well.

So is there any songs that I should be able to play without too much trouble?

Thanks.

beverly hills by weezer - 3 power chords.

the solo at the end is a bit hard but you can play the rhythm line, you could probably manage the solo earlier in the song.

what kind of music are you, into that will help
search on the forums these words : "what song to learn", there is a list there, some youll like, some you wont, but its a start. next time, help us when posting a question by adding details like genre, bands you like, ask on a particular song
Basket Case - Green Day

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

What I got - Sublime

Cochise - Audioslave

Hero Of War - Rise Against.

Just a couple songs. Some of them more known than others.
Tonight, we stagger out from the basement...

I'm sick of not having the courage to be an absolute nobody.

...Or fall to our deaths from above
im a white stripes WH0RE so try 7 nation army haha some thing a lil cooler and challenging try the hardest button to bottons or leaves in the dirty ground

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Quote by Bamitchell
Basket Case - Green Day

Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana

What I got - Sublime

Cochise - Audioslave

Hero Of War - Rise Against.

Just a couple songs. Some of them more known than others.

None of those even come close to being "beginner" easy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Enter Sandman / Sanitarium - Metallica
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
Quote by PuppetMaster91
Enter Sandman / Sanitarium - Metallica

Again, neither of those come close to being beginner songs.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^Yeah, I'm 9 months in and still won't try a Metallica song..lol . Try some AC/DC. Like Highway to hell for example. D, A and G I believe.
Well I'm into bands like Rise Against, Slipknot, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Linkin Park etc. So these songs are good for me
No they aren't - it doesn't matter what you're into, too hard is too hard. If you want to learn to play guitar then you have to start at the beginning and those bands don't fall into that category.

It's just unlucky for you that you like bands that don't reallly make music that's suitable for a beginner to learn - if you want to learn the guitar then you'll have no problem doing what's necessary to enable you to eventually play the stuff you want.

There's probably one or two Foo Fighters songs that might be realistic but none of the other stuff will be so you need to broaden your horizons and start listening to more music to enable you to progress....have a look at the beginner songs programmes.

http://ug.cybanworld.com/

House of the rising sun was a good suggestion as were the AC/DC tracks, you could also check out...

Knocking on Heaven's Door - Bob Dylan
Passenger - Iggy Pop
Anything by Creedence Clearwater Revival
Good Riddance - Green Day
Hey Joe and All Along the Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Songbird by Oasis, it's just G and Em7 right through.
Guitars
Vintage V100HB

Amps
Roland Cube 20X

Effects/Other
Ibanez TS-7 Tubescreamer, Boss DS-1
Quote by steven seagull

It's just unlucky for you that you like bands that don't reallly make music that's suitable for a beginner to learn - if you want to learn the guitar then you'll have no problem doing what's necessary to enable you to eventually play the stuff you want.

Slipknot, Green Day and Linkin Park make songs that are hard to play??? If that is so, what is easy then? If using 3 powerchords in a song (and possibly ina drop tuning) and strumming them in a simple rhythm is hard, then I would certainly be a great guitar virtuoso by now and everybody would drop their jaw when they'd hear me play not-powerchords.

@the topic maker - I'd suggest learning some easy classics, like smoke on the water, house of the rising sun, or things from 3 doors down/ bon jovi.
First off you shouldn't be arsing around with drop tuning if you're a beginner, but as far as those three bands are concerned the need for precise picking, palm muting and quick position shifts are what take their songs out of the realm of beginner fodder.

I will always maintain that powerchords are not a beginner technique no matter what people seem to think. They may look simple as far as the left-hand fingering is concerned, but that doesn't make them easy...people seem to forget the time it takes to develop the right-hand precision needed to hit two strings both cleanly and near-simultaneously.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 9, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
First off you shouldn't be arsing around with drop tuning if you're a beginner, but as far as those three bands are concerned the need for precise picking, palm muting and quick position shifts are what take their songs out of the realm of beginner fodder.

Well how beginner do you want to go? After all, he has to start somewhere. Further on, "precise picking" (although I still don't think it can get easier than it is with those bands) is actually required - everywhere! You must never miss a string, do you? And as far as that's concerned, he will certainly have more problems picking string by string (house of the rising sun) than just hitting the two same strings whole day long. Well, if he doesn't fall asleep in the process...
Second, I agree that palm muting is not something you'd try the first day, but it actually greatly depends whether he's playing a classical/acoustic or electric guitar. Palm muting on classicals/acoustics is tricky, since you have to touch the strings only by a precise certain amount, otherwise you get dead notes. On electric on the other hand, it's really simple since much much less precision is required.
Third - what position shifts??? Yeah, he will have to switch a position every 30 seconds, but he would have to do that on pretty much any song he plays. Just, he won't have 10 bars of the same powerchord played in eights to prepare, he will actually play a few notes and then have to switch to another position to play another few notes. That's good for memorizing the fretboard, and I think he should start with that right away.

I will always maintain that powerchords are not a beginner technique no matter what people seem to think. They may look simple as far as the left-hand fingering is concerned, but that doesn't make them easy...people seem to forget the time it takes to develop the right-hand precision needed to hit two strings both cleanly and near-simultaneously

Actually, when I was beginning, the left hand fingering for a powerchord was most concerning for me. You have to keep all three fingers in place while moving around the fretboard. However, it's something I've mastered (yeah, not just learned, actually was-able-to-do-while-sleeping) after a month of playing.
As for hitting the right amount of strings, it has never been a problem to me, although I have seen people having trouble with that. Why, it's not clear to me since it always camel naturally to me.

And...I'm still excited to hear what's easier that those three bands to play? Is there such a thing?
Quote by lockdown91
And...I'm still excited to hear what's easier that those three bands to play? Is there such a thing?

you obviosuly have very limited experience of music, but suffice to say there's craploads of stuff.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Learn the rhythm to Paper Wings and Prayer of the Refugee by Rise Against.

Once you get better you can move onto the lead of Paper Wings, and the solo, it was the first solo I learnt fully
OK just to inform you all, my uncle showed me how to play Dakota - Stereophonics which is easy enough so not much trouble there.

Also EndTheRapture51 thanks for that information I'm learning it soon .