hair metal. I only hear people doing extreme metal with this. I am sure extreme metal was not EVH's plan when he designed this amp, but do you think it would do a good hair metal tone?
Honestly it can pull off anything you want to pull off it just might be a little to american voiced if the band used british amp in the first place and you will have to deal with the wattage factor if your trying to get into power tube saturation.

And a side note Ted Nugent uses them and he is far from modern metal...
yes EVH designed the 5150 and the 6505 is the exact same thing
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
it'll do the job well, but i think a XXX would be better for 80's
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
What's wrong with the JCM800, they're kind of the standard hair metal amp...
It's all in the EQ. Boost the mids and cut back on the resonance, bass, and gain and you have a good hair metal tone. Granted it's a bit American voiced and can be some-what "dark" sounding, it'll do fine if you adjust it.

But by looking at your sig, I can't help but wonder why you'd be looking at a 5150 when you already have the quintessential '80s metal amp already (go buy a tubescreamer for it!).
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Thanks for the answers. There is nothing wrong with the JCM800, I am going to be doing some recording here soon and have an opportunity to pick up a 5150 and was thinking about using it for some rhythm work. I know the lead tones are killer, but I don't want to come off way too heavy in the mix and want a few tones to choose from. Again thanks for all the answers.
Most people forget she is a 2 channel amp and there is such thing as turning the gain down lol. So for lower gain rhythm work just use the rhythm channel and you will be fine.
^ Exactly what I was going to say.
On the crunch channel, it can get a good hair metal sort of tone out of it. You jsut have to tweak and tweak till you get the sound you want.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Cool. Thanks for sharing. I am not really looking for it for a road amp. The JCM is a workhorse on the road. I just want some diversity to recordings and our sound is kind of hairband like.
Yeah I am a bit of a gear collector. Luckily I have a big basement. What's in my sig in not even everything either. That is just what would fit.
Quote by mindstealer
Yeah I am a bit of a gear collector. Luckily I have a big basement. What's in my sig in not even everything either. That is just what would fit.

Pics or your basement doesnt exist lol