I have a mixer and a pair of pa speakers. Im using this mostly for micing my amp and and amplifing a piezo pickup. Would it be possible to wire a y cable to two seperate mono inputs on the mixer, and play music from my pc through the pa speakers without a power amp? If not what would be the easiest and cheapest way to do this.
Thanks
It depends on the type of speaker. Active speakers have their own power amps, but passive speakers do not. If you have passive speakers you would need to get a power amp because the signal would be too weak.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
Quote by Petrucciowns
I have a mixer and a pair of pa speakers. Im using this mostly for micing my amp and and amplifing a piezo pickup. Would it be possible to wire a y cable to two seperate mono inputs on the mixer, and play music from my pc through the pa speakers without a power amp? If not what would be the easiest and cheapest way to do this.
Thanks

I'm afraid if your speakers are passive...and your mixer isn't active then you will need some other form of amplification. Normally this is done with a Power amp running off the amp out on the mixing desk.

You can pick them up cheap off ebay. Also remember you don't need massive amounts of power unless you're filling stadiums. 100w per side is normally sufficient for most people. I personally run 1500w per side but my PA rig stems from my DJ days as i run two banks of Bass Bins and Tops with separate Power amps for Left and Right. These work great as PC speakers.

x
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by SLD.Potato
It depends on the type of speaker. Active speakers have their own power amps, but passive speakers do not. If you have passive speakers you would need to get a power amp because the signal would be too weak.

Not necessarily; most mixers these days in the 'buy and go' PA kits people get these days are powered mixers and don't require an external power amp.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Jan 8, 2009,
Well it says in the page header "UNPOWERED MIXERS" so that should give you some clue. You will therefore need a poweramp.

x

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Yes, you will need an external power amp unless by a small miracle your speakers are active.

Edit: Beaten to it
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Yes, you will need an external power amp unless by a small miracle your speakers are active.

Edit: Beaten to it

HAHA

x

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Well the Microphone Input has a preamp so for the mic I wouldn't need a power amp correct? and the piezo pickup I put in my electric has a preamp as well. So the only thing I would need the power amp for is music. Am I right with this?
Quote by Petrucciowns
Well the Microphone Input has a preamp so for the mic I wouldn't need a power amp correct? and the piezo pickup I put in my electric has a preamp as well. So the only thing I would need the power amp for is music. Am I right with this?

No thats not quite how it works. A pre-amp basically makes the signal from both the microphones and piezo large enough to be amplfied. << this is a super super simple explanation.

x

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Would a home audio amplifier work. For instance one that is used for a turntable or would I have to get a live sound type one?
Quote by Petrucciowns
Would a home audio amplifier work. For instance one that is used for a turntable or would I have to get a live sound type one?

It depends, a home amplifier would work but your speakers would have to terminal style connections and the ohms would have to be matched. Ordinarily Hi-Fi amplifiers output at 8ohms wheras PA speakers are 4ohms. This may cause some major issues.

Can you link me to the speakers?

x

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Quote by Petrucciowns
I got a pair of cheapo's for home use. It's my first PA as you can tell
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Phonic-S710-10-IN-2Way-Speaker?sku=600727

It looks to me that they are 8 ohms.

Yes they are 8ohms. This means that they are primarily designed to be used with bass bins so as you can run the pair in parralell then use a 4 ohm power amp for the both.

This generally says 2 things. They are cheap and may a full range bass response, but that's just my opinion. I deal with PA alot. I'm trying to keep this all relatively simple btw.

Anyway, they have jack inputs. I't difficult without custom wires to connect the terminal amplifier outputs to the jack inputs on those speakers.

Quote by Petrucciowns
Couldn't the receiver hook up to the mixer some way mabye to the tape inputs or something?

The mixer has a main mix output in the form of a Phono connection. This is then fed into the amplifier which then amplifies the signal to drive the speakers.

x

EDIT: You'd have to run the "Tape out" into a stereo home amplifier the main out 1/4" jacks traditionally will only be accepted by a power amp.

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Last edited by Madsalty at Jan 8, 2009,
You say that you are amplifying a mic and a guitar pickup. I guess this means that you have some sort of amp or combo. If you are listening to the guitar then you can listen to the computer in the same way. The computer output is probably a 3.5mm jack just like an ipod and will be at a roughly similar level. There are plenty of leads around for connecting an MP3 player to a hi fi and this might well match some of the inputs on your mixer.

It is not completely clear whether you listen to your guitar through the pa speakers but if you do have some sort of instrument amp then you might be able to connect them to this.
It may or may not improve the sound. Beware of connecting too many speakers to a transistor amp though as they try to push too much current through low impedances.

You don't say why you are trying to listen to computer music this way. If you just want a cheap and cheerful way to listen to very loud downloads then why not buy/scrounge a cheap hi fi amp and you could use that to drive the pa speakers. They are likely to be much more efficient (louder) than the hi fi speakers. The hi fi amp will be no good as a pa though.

Have fun and don't annoy the neighbours.
Quote by Phil Starr
You say that you are amplifying a mic and a guitar pickup. I guess this means that you have some sort of amp or combo. If you are listening to the guitar then you can listen to the computer in the same way. The computer output is probably a 3.5mm jack just like an ipod and will be at a roughly similar level. There are plenty of leads around for connecting an MP3 player to a hi fi and this might well match some of the inputs on your mixer.

It is not completely clear whether you listen to your guitar through the pa speakers but if you do have some sort of instrument amp then you might be able to connect them to this.
It may or may not improve the sound. Beware of connecting too many speakers to a transistor amp though as they try to push too much current through low impedances.

You don't say why you are trying to listen to computer music this way. If you just want a cheap and cheerful way to listen to very loud downloads then why not buy/scrounge a cheap hi fi amp and you could use that to drive the pa speakers. They are likely to be much more efficient (louder) than the hi fi speakers. The hi fi amp will be no good as a pa though.

Have fun and don't annoy the neighbours.

The computer advice is good however because of the limited connection on the speakers it would be very tricky to connect the two up.

x

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
Soo if the amp on the back says CD and has the red and white cables would those feed from the amp to the tape in portion of the mixer or tape out or do they connect another way? do the speakers have to be in parallel at 4 ohms? What is the reasoning for that. I appreciate your help.
Quote by Petrucciowns
Soo if the amp on the back says CD and has the red and white cables would those feed from the amp to the tape in portion of the mixer or tape out or do they connect another way? do the speakers have to be in parallel at 4 ohms? What is the reasoning for that. I appreciate your help.

Hang on. The amp should have some cables leaving it to go to some outstanding speakers.

There should be a phono connection that uses cables like these on the amp, probably labelled Aux if not CD would be fine:

The TAPE OUT / LINE OUT from the mixer goes into this on the amplifier. You then select to use that channel on the amplifier. There then should be some wire going from your amp to your speakers. If those connections look like the HI-LEVEL IN in this pic:

or like:

then it's going to be difficult to connect them to your PA speakers because i've checked and they have connections like you guitar amp input.

x

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
This is what I am trying to do. I have a cube 30x amp that I play guitar through. I have a piezo pickup in my guitar. I am going to use a y cable to feed one end to the mixer for acoustic and one end to the amp for electric. A mic is to be attached to the mixer which is going to mic the amp. I want the same mixer to be connected to my computer so I am able to play music. Mabye this will clear it up alittle bit. I have a HI-FI receiver to work with I want to know how this would be done if it could without buying a power amp.
Basically there is no way (without custom cable that wires a speaker wire connection into a jack plug form) to power those speakers without a power amp.

This is what I am trying to do. I have a cube 30x amp that I play guitar through. I have a piezo pickup in my guitar. I am going to use a y cable to feed one end to the mixer for acoustic and one end to the amp for electric. A mic is to be attached to the mixer which is going to mic the amp. I want the same mixer to be connected to my computer so I am able to play music. Mabye this will clear it up alittle bit. I have a HI-FI receiver to work with I want to know how this would be done if it could without buying a power amp.

Your a little confusing. Can you draw me an intended signal path like a flow diagram with arrows etc.?

x

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
You can run your computer through your hi fi and the red and white sockets on the back are probably phono sockets and if they are labelled tape/aux/cd/tuner are probably ok to connect the output from your mixer or your computer. Don't play guitar through your hi fi and turn the volume right down before connecting anything new to it then turn up the volume very carefully.

You can connect the speakers to any amp but halving the ohms will double the current drawn by the speakers and could blow the output transistors ruining the amp. Low sound levels mean low current and most transistor amps will handle between 16 and 4 ohms but there is only one way of testing this.

Madsalty is giving good advice by the way.

Sorry I'm going off now
Quote by Petrucciowns
(Invalid img)

How do you post pictures?

You can use a free image hosting sit such as:

http://imageshack.us/

then copy and paste the forum link it gives you when you upload the photo.

x

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S