I want to spend as little money as possible to practice at home at low volumes. As I have a distortion pedal, the amp doesn't have to have overdrive in it, because it probably adds to the price. Am I right the pedal will give me a good distortion with anything? Or does the sound depend a lot on the amp too?
Thanks!
Last edited by Amarant at Jan 8, 2009,
The sound depends alot on the amp.

Speakers, construction, basic electronics.. all matter TONS.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
The size and material/build of the speaker on smaller amps is the biggest factor for how they sound. Anything 8" or smaller will likely sound god-awful compared to a bigger practise amp.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
It depends alot on the amp, but also the speaker size/ type and the wattage of the amp.

If you just one something cheap try to get atleast a 10" speaker, your best off aiming for a 12" but they might cost quite abit more, also wattage, you want something that you dont need to crank even for low volumes, something like 15-20 watts will do fine, that way you wont be pushing the circuit to it's limits.

I cant really recommend any named brands though, sorry.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
depends on the amp too
but home practice amps dont need to sound very good, just acceptable to you
but as long as both the amp and pedal have tone knobs you shouldn't run into and sound problems
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Go to local pawn shop.

They probably have like $20 amps or something there.
Gear!:

Epiphone G400
Marshall JCM 800 4211 Combo
Karmer Forum III
Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 5
Holden Graphic something bass amp? (eh it's 300 watts!)
Some sort of 1x15 cab.
The amp is the single most important part of your sound. If you want something cheap that sounds like **** just plug it into your computer or get an RCA cable and plug it in your stereo if you can.
Quote by rebelmidget
I do believe you just used Blink 182 and hard rock in the same sentence. It would seem you're rather confused.
I have a quote in my signature! And it makes fun of blink-182! I'm cool now!

[Obligatory link to my band's MySpace]
plug headphones into your guitar output jack

there you go, cheapest rig ever
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
plug headphones into your guitar output jack

there you go, cheapest rig ever

that is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard! If he does that, there won't be any sound coming out dunbass
^^ to bad theres not an amplified sound...

Amp + speaker is the most important part of how you sound. Dont be a noob and get an amp that can have headphones in it. I

f you get a little **** amp, you a ****ing noob who needs to read some stickies and actually learn how to play guitar.
exo m7... you do know that, that doesnt work?

Edit: ok this is like £100+ and it only has 1x10" speaker, with 35 watts, but something like this would do you fine, it wouldnt sound like say 4x12 cab etc but it would easily get the job done.
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Last edited by Daniel8488 at Jan 8, 2009,
this might be not at all what you want to hear but. If you buy something like your describing its going to sound like s**t. No offense.

Yes the amp will have a huge effect on sound with or without the pedal.

Have you considered something like one of these:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/digitech-guitar-effects-processors-pedals?N=100001+201096&Ntk=All&Ntt=RP&Nty=1

I have a RP150 and I like it, I use it a lot and I could be considered a "tube snob". All you would need is a pair of headphones and you're ready to practice and even record. Plus you'll have tons of new effects to play with. btw, imo the presest tones on the 150 blow.

you could even sell your distortion pedal to raise funds if you fancy one of the higher priced models.
The thing is I just need money and have a Micro Cube RX here atm, which I think is just too good. I was thinking of replacing it with the pedal I already have anyway, but not in use in home practice, because the amp is good enough, and an amp that is good enough and does the job for home practice. I'm not gigging with it.
Quote by Amarant
The thing is I just need money and have a Micro Cube RX here atm. I was thinking of replacing it with the pedal I already have anyway, but not in use, because the amp is good enough, and a amp that is good enough and does the job for home practice. I'm not gigging with it.

Sell the distortion pedal and use that money for a modeling amp since its exclusively for practice. Microcubes are ****, imo. Get a real cube, but I would take a vypyr over a cube anyday.
Modeling amp? Microcubes are **** -- that's why I'm selling it and getting something cooler for the price or something as good with a lower price.
Thanks so far!
Quote by Amarant
Modeling amp? Microcubes are **** -- that's why I'm selling it and getting something cooler for the price or something as good with a lower price.
Thanks so far!

Thats just what I ****ing said. A modeling amp is good for you, just DONT GET A **** ONE (I.E. spider, microcube) and get a vypyr or something. Maby a valvetronix
wyantsm has said exactly what I was going to say, and indeed what I have just said on another thread. Get something like the Digitech RP150, which is only £69 here in the UK. With headphones the sounds you get are fantastic and you disturb nobody. They have far better sound quality than any practice amp I've ever heard and you can do a hell of a lot more with them too.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
Danelectro honeytone. Cheap, new, and portable
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Quote by Doadman
wyantsm has said exactly what I was going to say, and indeed what I have just said on another thread. Get something like the Digitech RP150, which is only £69 here in the UK. With headphones the sounds you get are fantastic and you disturb nobody. They have far better sound quality than any practice amp I've ever heard and you can do a hell of a lot more with them too.

I just bought this Digitech pedal actually. I want a use to it too .
Thanks!