Alright so I've been looking around for an answer to this, Is there any possible way to get a permanent power supply to my EMG 707 @ 18 v? I love the sound of the 18v vs the 9v stock option but i don't want to have to have a mountainous supply of 9v batteries every time I need to replace them...
I just haven't taken the time to research for the correct Milli amps for an external power supply, so has anyone ever attempted this, had any luck or had catastrophic failure ? Any tips or suggestions would be grateful.
Last edited by m207emg at Jan 8, 2009,
I think it wouldnt be very hard to do

For instance, using a stereo cable, with the 3rd wire used to drive the power. Youd have to swap the jack inside the guitar for a true stereo one, and connect the 3rd terminal to the battery connection of the circuit.
Then, building a little box to connect the stereo cable to a DC adapter and a mono out to the amp.
If all this makes any sense...
The only thing having a walled power supply would do is restrict your movement. If you ever stepped too far, pop, out comes the cable from the wall/your guitar.

OP, you only have to replace the batteries every, what, three months... surely that's pretty convenient.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
not even three months, i did the 18 v mod to my les paul over a year ago and the batteries are still good. you only have to change them a lot if you leave your guitar plugged in all the time
NOPE
Quote by bazuriya

For instance, using a stereo cable, with the 3rd wire used to drive the power. Youd have to swap the jack inside the guitar for a true stereo one, and connect the 3rd terminal to the battery connection of the circuit.
Then, building a little box to connect the stereo cable to a DC adapter and a mono out to the amp.

Yeah it does, but you wouldn't happen to be able to whip up a diagram that i could possibly go by would you, and what milliamp dc adapter would be ideal?
I have tried a temp hook up with my 9vdc pedal adapter (300 Ma) but there was wayyyy too much noise coming out and playing guitar made it way worse, so how to minimize electrical interference is my next question...

Well I just like to have to peace of mind that I have full power all the time when im playing, I usually remember to unplug but there's always those time when you gotta run somewhere for a while and hate it when i come back and its plugged in because thoughts of battery drain flood in, even though it might be a minuscule amount I like to have a peace of mine that i will always have full EMG potential... This is just more of a preference, I would go with 2 9v... but if it's efficiently possible i would like a more permanent solution, As for movement restrictions, I would just have a plug extension fabed up to my amp and have the power cord as long as my cable.
Well battery life is estimated to be around 3000 h. Thats a lot of time! Just think how many hours do you use to play guitar a week and youll see that it will probably take more than one year to drain. I estimated for me more than 3 years.

Besides, batteries wont die instantly. I mean, the pickups start sounding weak for a while till the batteries totally die (thats what I heard somewhere).

I installed a switch to go from 9V-18V, so when I go to my rehearsal place where I play my valve amp I use 18V (where 18V really shines), and when Im at home and use my POD I switch to 9V to preserve battery life.

Anyway, you shouldnt worry about mA coming from the adapter, cos pickups ask for about only 80 microamps.

If you use a regular stereo jack cable to handle guitar signal and DC power, you wont have any mobility problems I guess.
Last edited by bazuriya at Jan 8, 2009,
Stick solar panels on.
Quote by Invader Jim
A post with that many big words just HAS to be right.

Wii FC: 8115 1176 4951 3028
Quote by bazuriya

haha when i read the post this is the exact first thing that came to my mind. but thinking about it this would be way worse than just changing a battery like 5 times in my lifetime.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.

would do what you want.

S being the sleeve of the jack, and grounded (also negative of the adapter)
T is the tip, the output from the pickups
R is the ring, the positive from the power source

on the guitar side of things, put the power from R where the power usually goes, S to a grounded point, and T to the master volume (or 3-way), like in a normal wiring scheme
enclose the power jack, mono, and stereo jacks in a box near the amp, and there you go
Quote by shadow phoenix
Stick solar panels on.

Ahhahha... man, your awesome.

Ok well maybe I underestimate the lifetime of the batteries

Quote by bazuriya
I installed a switch to go from 9V-18V, so when I go to my rehearsal place where I play my valve amp I use 18V (where 18V really shines), and when Im at home and use my POD I switch to 9V to preserve battery life.

Genius man, could you get me some schematics on your set-up for that?
I would probably set up a 3 way for that like top:18v middle: OFF and bottom: 9v..
Sound like a plausible idea?

James4, appreciate the visual aid, helps very much.

Thank all you guys very much for the feedback, I'll most likely be trying the permanent power source, see how that suits, get the idea out of my system, you know.

Ill post pictures when i get a solid setup run.
Quote by m207emg
Ahhahha... man, your awesome.

Ok well maybe I underestimate the lifetime of the batteries

Genius man, could you get me some schematics on your set-up for that?
I would probably set up a 3 way for that like top:18v middle: OFF and bottom: 9v..
Sound like a plausible idea?

James4, appreciate the visual aid, helps very much.

Thank all you guys very much for the feedback, I'll most likely be trying the permanent power source, see how that suits, get the idea out of my system, you know.

Ill post pictures when i get a solid setup run.

There is an easier way to switch from 9-18V, but this way you get the same battery drain in both batteries in 9V mode:

Take a look at post #13 in here:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=982949&page=1&pp=20

Thats everything you need
Quote by james4

This would only work if he takes the battery out of his guitar. Since he has EMGs he already has a stereo jack in the guitar. one of R or S is tied to the battery - so that when a mono jack is plugged in it grounds the battery so that it works. When no plug is installed it disconects the battery. Using your diagram, when he plugs a stereo jack in he'll be grounding out the battery to one of the grounds, bringing it back in the circuit. If the battery grounds through the amp then the battery will be in the circuit still, and hell be getting 18v in parallel, from the battery and the wall. This defeats the purpose of doing this in the first place. If the battery grounds out through the same terminal that the 18v wall supply is coming from, they two 18v sources will be in series, giving 36v to the EMGs. Now they might work like that for awhile, but they definitely aren't rated for that and will possibly burn out and die.

Also, most of those wall converters have horrible power filtering. So that XX volt DC power supply has a lot of ripple in it. Now this isn't really a problem when plug it into say a cell phone or a camera, but into the guitar this can get picked up adding a lot of background noise. Also running this through your cable is going to get it picked up in the cable. Toss your input cable over a power chord and see what I mean.

Now, I don't really think you need to use external power because the life on these things is so long that having that extra cable and hassle isn't worth it.

If you insist on having an external power supply, you would be best off using a switch to switch back and forth between battery and power supply to avoid problems. You could even put in a little power jack in your PG to plug your power supply into. I think they are the 2.3mm ones. Also this switch would act like a kill switch also when no power jack is plugged in. Woot...jokes.
I know this thread is old, but EMG not too long ago released an external power supply that basically acts as a pedal in your signal chain. You do have to buy an extra cable from EMG separately, but it saves money in the long run from buying countless 9V batteries.
Quote by jhaneline
I know this thread is old

Then you really didn't need to post in it. Reported.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one