Ok so as a joint Christmas and birthday present my family clubbed together and bought me an acoustic with electrics-an Epiphone EJ-200 CE, to be precise. It was really nice of them but the guitar just doesn't sound right! I own an EJ-200 acoustic and love it but this guitar constantly sounds out of tune and wierd. I've changed the strings and tuned it but it still sounds wrong. I don't have an amp for it yet, but surely it should sound good without one? I've also been looking online and have noticed that my guitar has this wierd plastic thing at the end of the neck near the sound-hole that the guitar doesn't have in photos I find. I have to be honest and say I have never played an acoustic with electrics before and, having only been playing a year or so, don't really know much about them. Meanwhile my family are starting to ask why they never see me playing my new guitar! Can anyone give me advice?
You could take it into Guitar Center or your local music store. They could tell you what's wrong and it'd probably be free.
Quote by likethewolf
I've also been looking online and have noticed that my guitar has this wierd plastic thing at the end of the neck near the sound-hole that the guitar doesn't have in photos I find.

umm I think it might be the on-board controls for the acoustic-electric guitar...if that's what you are talking about
Fender 70s series Stratocaster
Vox V847A wah
Boss BF-3
Ibanez TS-9DX
I would get it set up. That might fix the tuning problem. And maybe the plastic thing is the pick guard? (Not calling you stupid or anything.) But yeah, we do need pics.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Can you show us a picture of what you are talking about with the plastic thing?
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I would get it set up. That might fix the tuning problem. And maybe the plastic thing is the pick guard? (Not calling you stupid or anything.) But yeah, we do need pics.

Ha ha! Come on, I know I'm not hugely experienced with this but I'm not dense! I know what a pick guard is! Right, I'll upload some pictures. Maybe it does just need set up.
Maybe the plastic thing is... the pickup.

My Ibanez acoustic for some reason has the pickup at the end of the fret board right before the soundhole. I know most acoustic/electrics have the pickup under the bridge or whatever so yeah its weird and sounds like poop plugged in, no acoustic quality at all.
My Gear:

Ibanez JEM7vwh
Schecter Damien 7
Alvarez Classical

Roland Cube 30
Boss DS-1 & DS-1 w/ Ultra Mod and SEM, RC-2, CH-1, NS-2, DD-6, GE-7.
Digitech Whammy, Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah.

Check out my music at myspace.com/alpha5music
Pictures would be immensely helpful
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
replace the saddle with a bone saddle and replace the bridge pins with bone. You can get them on e-bay for $10. If your handy you can buy a bone blank on e-bay for $5 or less and sand it until it is the exact shape as your current saddle. Also if you have shims under the saddle that may be a problem as well so the height of the new saddle should be the height of the old saddle plus any shims they used. This can make a huge difference in tone.

Take it back to the store where your family got it and have them set it up. Usually it is free for a year.
Last edited by Guitar Hack at Jan 10, 2009,
Yea, bro. Take it back to where you got it, have it restrung with your favorite strings (or try some new ones, recommended ones or something) and get it set-up